R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

View Poll Results: 1/12th scale Rubber or Foam tires
Rubber Tires 70 42.42%
Foam Tires 95 57.58%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree188Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #61
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNfbyCyqNrA

Yokomo GT 500 1/12th scale style chassis running on rubber tires.
Thats how 1/12th should be- Awesome!
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #62
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Man if we can get rubber tires to the weight of foamies then it may be doable on 1/12. I don't see it working if they are heavier. Too sensitive to weight with 1s and too many of us spoiled by the performance advantage of foam.

I'll stretch some condoms over foamie rims and try that. They might be light enough. And pre-sauced. Lol.
__________________
Pro-Line/Protoform, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #63
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,267
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Aaron, you are a sick person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post
Man if we can get rubber tires to the weight of foamies then it may be doable on 1/12. I don't see it working if they are heavier. Too sensitive to weight with 1s and too many of us spoiled by the performance advantage of foam.

I'll stretch some condoms over foamie rims and try that. They might be light enough. And pre-sauced. Lol.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #64
Tech Master
 
Racermac73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Palmyra, Virginia
Posts: 1,601
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

A main dominating Aaron.. hard to beleive he tones it down on here compared to real life. if you saw some of the pics hes texted me a used condom tire wouldnt seem so bad lol
__________________
TEAM SCREAM, McFACTORY, TQ WIRE, 360 RACEWAY, XENON-USA.COM, SANWA, DESOTO RACING, JFT TIRES, HOBBYWING, EAM, DESTINY USA, DRIVE RC, TOP USA
Racermac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #65
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Lmao.
__________________
Pro-Line/Protoform, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #66
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

.
Antimullet likes this.

Last edited by chad508; 10-04-2017 at 09:09 PM.
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #67
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

That class wouldn't be so bad on 2s .
__________________
Pro-Line/Protoform, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #68
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

.

Last edited by chad508; 10-04-2017 at 09:09 PM.
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #69
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,267
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad508 View Post
They had to slow down wgt-r so the tires would work. Same with f1. I doubt 2s would ever work with rubber tires. if people don't like foam and want to go slow then go run vta. That's who that class was made for.
I invite you guys to drive my WGTR. Before I tried it (honestly, I assembled the car out of spare parts just for something new and different to play with.....and fully expecting the rubber tires to really suck), I too was among those who had voiced my strong opinion that the concept of even considering 1/12th scale rubber tires was completely blasphemous. But after building up my own WGTR car (once again just for shits and giggles), my opinion has changed. The rubber tires did not ruin my WGT. If anything, they seem to have made it better. Not faster, mind you, but better and certainly sweeter to drive. Having said that, I certainly would not expect any of you guys to take my word for it. So I invite any of you naysayers to take mine for a short test drive, experience how well it drives for yourself, and then we'll see if your opinion remains the same. I'm a pretty stubborn old skool kinda guy and fairly hard core about my 1/12th scale racing, but I just cannot deny that my low budget WGTR drives really sweet on its rubber tires and it is for sure drastically better than I could have ever imagined. Sometimes it can be good to try stepping outside the box.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:49 PM   #70
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Do you feel it would be just as good if it was 13.5? I'm not doubting you in any way just curious if the reason it is good is the fact it is slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
I invite you guys to drive my WGTR. Before I tried it (honestly, I assembled the car out of spare parts just for something new and different to play with.....and fully expecting the rubber tires to really suck), I too was among those who had voiced my strong opinion that the concept of even considering 1/12th scale rubber tires was completely blasphemous. But after building up my own WGTR car (once again just for shits and giggles), my opinion has changed. The rubber tires did not ruin my WGT. If anything, they seem to have made it better. Not faster, mind you, but better and certainly sweeter to drive. Having said that, I certainly would not expect any of you guys to take my word for it. So I invite any of you naysayers to take mine for a short test drive, experience how well it drives for yourself, and then we'll see if your opinion remains the same. I'm a pretty stubborn old skool kinda guy and fairly hard core about my 1/12th scale racing, but I just cannot deny that my low budget WGTR drives really sweet on its rubber tires and it is for sure drastically better than I could have ever imagined. Sometimes it can be good to try stepping outside the box.
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 PM   #71
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,839
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Chad, for someone that comes from a Mini-z background, you are quite negative on the rubber tires. :P

I truly believe that a Mini-z style rubber tire would be good and perform nearly as well as foam tires on the 12th scales. You could still true them, they would never chunk, last longer and they would probably have a longer "sweet spot" for usage. They would probably be marginally heavier, which may take some punch away, but top speed would be pretty close.

I love 12th scale, and love foam, but cost starts getting prohibitively expensive when you need to 1-2 run your tires to be competitive. Now, I know this is not what everyone does, and I am not saying change foam, so don't bring out pitchforks. I am just saying that it could be nearly as good as foam, for a much lower running cost. I think the cars would slow down slightly which is probably a benefit too for outsiders. I have a feeling they would work better on most asphalt tracks too. If they work nearly as good, the cost of running is lower and they are easier to use, then I could see them being a good change.

In the end, it could be beneficial for the hobbyists to help enjoy running 12th scale more. Do I think it would increase turnouts? Not necessarily from the tire change, but maybe from being able to run them outside more where people can see them running and inquire about them. But lets face it, changing the tire compound or type is not going to all of the sudden to make RC tracks come back, get more people involved in the hobby and grow racing as a whole.

I'll leave with saying, if someone makes some, I'll give them a fair shot before I make up my mind. If they are based on a design similar to a Mini-z Tire, I guarantee that they'll be pretty good. It is just a matter of getting the compounds figured out.
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:11 AM   #72
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

If it was a mini z style rubber tire I could see that working. Might have to see if I can stretch some kyosho 20s on some wheels and give it a try. Lol.



Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Chad, for someone that comes from a Mini-z background, you are quite negative on the rubber tires. :P

I truly believe that a Mini-z style rubber tire would be good and perform nearly as well as foam tires on the 12th scales. You could still true them, they would never chunk, last longer and they would probably have a longer "sweet spot" for usage. They would probably be marginally heavier, which may take some punch away, but top speed would be pretty close.

I love 12th scale, and love foam, but cost starts getting prohibitively expensive when you need to 1-2 run your tires to be competitive. Now, I know this is not what everyone does, and I am not saying change foam, so don't bring out pitchforks. I am just saying that it could be nearly as good as foam, for a much lower running cost. I think the cars would slow down slightly which is probably a benefit too for outsiders. I have a feeling they would work better on most asphalt tracks too. If they work nearly as good, the cost of running is lower and they are easier to use, then I could see them being a good change.

In the end, it could be beneficial for the hobbyists to help enjoy running 12th scale more. Do I think it would increase turnouts? Not necessarily from the tire change, but maybe from being able to run them outside more where people can see them running and inquire about them. But lets face it, changing the tire compound or type is not going to all of the sudden to make RC tracks come back, get more people involved in the hobby and grow racing as a whole.

I'll leave with saying, if someone makes some, I'll give them a fair shot before I make up my mind. If they are based on a design similar to a Mini-z Tire, I guarantee that they'll be pretty good. It is just a matter of getting the compounds figured out.
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:21 AM   #73
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

I still want to see it on 2s Perry! .
__________________
Pro-Line/Protoform, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:26 AM   #74
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,267
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad508 View Post
Do you feel it would be just as good if it was 13.5? I'm not doubting you in any way just curious if the reason it is good is the fact it is slower.
Challenge accepted. To fulfill your curiosity (and also my own) I'll put my idle 13.5 in the car for next time so that we can see then how the car handles a bit more rip. While it is possible that the extra power of a 13.5 might overcome the rubber tires, I honestly don't expect that to happen since there was not even a hint of being "under tired" last week. Only one true way to find out.......so let's give it a whirl and see how it goes.
Antimullet likes this.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #75
Tech Addict
 
Jorge T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: At a chemical plant in TX
Posts: 532
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

A 13.5 on 1s is about the same power as a 25.5 on 2s.

Last time at Banana the F1 class was fun to watch. The cars were so hooked up.
Antimullet likes this.
__________________
RSD
Jorge T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 PutAwayWet Northwest Racers 18792 12-05-2017 09:01 PM
Minnesota Local For Sale/Wanted to Buy Tire Chunker Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing 4190 03-22-2015 08:55 PM
1/10th pan car Taz_S Oval, Larger Scales and More 16138 09-25-2014 10:03 AM
Becoming consistent... @Art_Mighty Electric On-Road 102 04-13-2014 08:23 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (2 members and 1 guests)
InspGadgt, Rick Pfeilstick
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:18 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net