58.33%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree332Likes

1/12th scale rubber tires

Old 12-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sdunnmcp View Post
You my friend have never ran a lot of Boosted. You almost never change the motor can timing once it is set, you just add/remove boost.
And you, my distant internet acquaintance, make assumptions about me, that don't reflect the difference between theory and reality. I'm also hardly ever touching motor can timing in boosted. a) because I'm not even trying to get to that level of (theoretical) perfection and b) changing motor timing is such a pain in the a**, compared to changing boost, that I don't really care much for it. But that's ease of use, not performance we're talking about. The real advantage of boost is still all about having the possibility to dial in different amounts of timing for different RPMs - or do you run a "boost" with just some static timing-setting from 0 RPM up to max RPM (without turbo)? That would in fact just be pseudo-blinky. It would of course still be easier to use and to change than motor-can-timing, but performance-wise there'd be no difference.

Examples (with random values as this is just about the principles):

Blinky (fixed timing):

Pseudo-Blinky (same fixed timing, easier to change, but otherwise identical):

Boosted (different timings, higher performance and increased efficiency):

Last edited by DirkW; 12-18-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Added Graphs
Old 12-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by antlockyer View Post
That's because the gt12 guys have been through it already and it was no good.
I just picked up a couple sets of Green Stripes from Schumacher for my Atom. I miss running this class, but have the car ready. See you on Facebook Ant!

GT12 in the rest of the world, except Florida is 13.5 Blinky, 1S, foam tire, Listed GT bodies. The cars are heavier and can be raced side by side.
antlockyer likes this.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

ill back steve up, he does actually know what he's talking about. I only ran boosted for a short time. almost never adjusted can timing after finding a good start spot on mechanical. same in mod, find a good mechanical start spot and almost never change it. albeit, I wasn't using a laptop at the races to graph everything constantly. just literary "feeling" it through my throttle finger. there's two maybe three threads on here discussing all of this and they are quite informative but long reads.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, I give up. Apparently I'm not able to even get across what I'm actually talking about. My bad. So I'm wrong, you're right - and I'm out of here.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sdunnmcp View Post
You my friend have never ran a lot of Boosted. You almost never change the motor can timing once it is set, you just add/remove boost.

Boosted also opened up the motor and speedo options. With blinky you are stuck with the motor and speedo of the month which is very expensive.

We should have never moved away from Boosted, however the VTA and GT classes had a louder voice even though they had no idea of the results of this bad decision.

Look at Rubber TC here in the US, you may see foam come back because people have now learned rubber tires are horrible on carpet, too bad it took this long.

Steve Dunn
Pro One.
Yeah, that's not right. Since I was actually there, running in VTA and RCGT, the predecessor of USGT, I can tell you boost was killing those classes, and 17.5 for that matter. We started USGT because the class was awesome, but boost was too much for the tires. I had guys come up to me and tell me they wanted to run on road again when no timing was implemented because they hated boost. Trans am had all kinds of problems when guys were using boosted escs.

I was also helping with a new esc and motor line when all this was going on (no I'm not a very good driver, but sometimes I can figure out how to get stuff working). We blew up a lot of 17.5 motors trying to get things right on the esc software. I'm sure casual guys who were paying full boat for their stuff were even less excited to melt stuff down.

I'm also not sure how boost makes uncompetitive motors competitive. If you open up 17.5 to boost, would you be interested in running some Novak SS motors against everything else?
davidl and RobS like this.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well us racers here in Florida are enjoying our version of Gt12 Racing USA with 21.5, i cell blinky esc,WGT spec tires and any GT body out there that is available. Like Delta Plastics, Old RC and Blie Groove, We did not want the same cookie cutter bodies they race elsewhere. Oh and we allow any 1/12th chassis. We have fun and isn't that what it's all about. It is very competitive and the cars are all about the same speed. Not much seperates one of us from the other except a mistake or two.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I guess Iím a bit confused is this thread about boosted esc or rubber tires for 1/12?
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MontanaMaxx View Post
I guess Iím a bit confused is this thread about boosted esc or rubber tires for 1/12?
Hmm, I thought it was about a guy, who owns a company selling foam tires, telling us all that rubber is the ruination of all things R/C.
davidl likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Smh.. lol
Old 12-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
Well us racers here in Florida are enjoying our version of Gt12 Racing USA with 21.5, i cell blinky esc,WGT spec tires and any GT body out there that is available. Like Delta Plastics, Old RC and Blie Groove, We did not want the same cookie cutter bodies they race elsewhere. Oh and we allow any 1/12th chassis. We have fun and isn't that what it's all about. It is very competitive and the cars are all about the same speed. Not much seperates one of us from the other except a mistake or two.
Not picking on you, or the theory. Just the name that's been selected for the class. We already race GT12 in the US.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk View Post
Yeah, that's not right. Since I was actually there, running in VTA and RCGT, the predecessor of USGT, I can tell you boost was killing those classes, and 17.5 for that matter. We started USGT because the class was awesome, but boost was too much for the tires. I had guys come up to me and tell me they wanted to run on road again when no timing was implemented because they hated boost. Trans am had all kinds of problems when guys were using boosted escs.

I was also helping with a new esc and motor line when all this was going on (no I'm not a very good driver, but sometimes I can figure out how to get stuff working). We blew up a lot of 17.5 motors trying to get things right on the esc software. I'm sure casual guys who were paying full boat for their stuff were even less excited to melt stuff down.

I'm also not sure how boost makes uncompetitive motors competitive. If you open up 17.5 to boost, would you be interested in running some Novak SS motors against everything else?

I fully agree, Rob. We lost many drivers in my area because the boost was either too fast, too difficult to setup, or was destroying equipment that people had to pay for out of their own pocket. And an additional thing I find funny. Maybe some of those supporting boost are not better drivers than you.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Tech Addict

Do rubber tires for 12th scale actually exist and if so, is anyone actually using them? All this back and forth is kind of pointless if not.

Dave
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dave View Post
Do rubber tires for 12th scale actually exist and if so, is anyone actually using them? All this back and forth is kind of pointless if not.

Dave
Post # 10 of this thread seems to indicate, in some form, yes they exist in the World. In the widths/offsets we are used to for 1/12th scale pan car... I don't believe so. They look more like a setup that would go on a GT12 car than a traditional 1/12th pan car... And when I say GT12, I mean the actual GT12 cars, not the pseudo "GT12" class some are running in the US.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yokomo - CRT L Front Tire Rubber, 2 Layer,4 pcs (YOK-TF-4660SX)

you can get rubber donuts, apparently.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 213 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
those i believe they are foam then you glue them to the rim and true them , i used to buy them like that years ago

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.