58.52%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree332Likes

1/12th scale rubber tires

Old 12-10-2017, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk View Post
Yeah, rubber tires had nothing to do with that.

BTW, 60 F1 cars at the US Indoor Champs in Cleveland USA, on rubber tires. F1 is fine on rubber. 1/12 scalers, enjoy your foams, and carry on with the thread.
I agree, after F1 found a good performing rubber tire that lasts more than 1 race weekend. I just about did not even start F1 racing again after the Pardus spec tire used in USF1, never liked those, lol.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
I agree, after F1 found a good performing rubber tire that lasts more than 1 race weekend. I just about did not even start F1 racing again after the Pardus spec tire used in USF1, never liked those, lol.
I wouldn't call the performance good...workable maybe...but not good
chensleyrc1 and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I wouldn't call the performance good...workable maybe...but not good
I would say the CRC/TCS are "good". The Pardus was "workable", but neither are "perfect", lol.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Foam: 1/12 scale 13.5T Stock and 6.5T Mod on 1S

Rubber: Touring Car 13.5T Stock and mod on 2S

Tamiya M-Chassis for those the above is too fast.

All classes needed for onroad electric.
Ggrant likes this.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VikingRC View Post
Foam: 1/12 scale 13.5T Stock and 6.5T Mod on 1S
The whole point of Mod is to have power not matter. 6.5 on 1s means a search for the fastest 6.5 motor, and the hardware wars will be on in Mod once again. Going from a low-stress, high efficiency 3.5 or 4.0 motor to wringing the piss out of a 6.5 like its a stocker is not good for the racers or competitiveness as the good racers named things like Hebert, Knapp, Cyrul, Lia, Lemieux, and others will still top the leader boards but that hair-raising speed of true mod will be gone, and with it goes some of the excitement and fun of racing.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Seattle rc racers are running open motor "blinky". gentleman's agreement not-rule but I've ran it twice so far, still nutty fast but more controllable than open/boosted.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

most of the fun is tuning in the speed control with boost. With the cell phone apps it has never been easier and with the right setting everything is under less stress. i still don't see why everyone is afraid of boost. I find adjust mechanical timing more worrisome since you know the ticks on the motor are not accurate so you have no idea where you are.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
I think having a stock foam tire for 17.5 works great. I have no issues with gluing the sidewall, and I get lots of runs on each set.
Itís one brand tire however there are a hand full of brands of spec tire
Old 12-16-2017, 01:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nissan man View Post
most of the fun is tuning in the speed control with boost. With the cell phone apps it has never been easier and with the right setting everything is under less stress. i still don't see why everyone is afraid of boost. I find adjust mechanical timing more worrisome since you know the ticks on the motor are not accurate so you have no idea where you are.
There is tools to measure it
Old 12-16-2017, 03:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nissan man View Post
I find adjust mechanical timing more worrisome since you know the ticks on the motor are not accurate so you have no idea where you are.
Well, if you have no idea where you are with motor-can timing only, you'd also have no idea where you are with motor-can plus boost timing either, right?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
Well, if you have no idea where you are with motor-can timing only, you'd also have no idea where you are with motor-can plus boost timing either, right?
may not know where you are but you do know precisely what incremental steps you make back and forth with boost
Old 12-16-2017, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
may not know where you are but you do know precisely what incremental steps you make back and forth with boost
I could argue now that you can make rather precise incremental changes with the markings on your endbell, too. It's just analog, mechanical scale, not some digital electronic, that's all. And IMO this is not really the advantage of boost. Both, blinky and boost have advantages and disadvantages:

Blinky mode has an advantage in that you just have to figure out one timing and you're done. The disadvantage: you're stuck with that one fixed timing for the whole lap - from the slowest corner to the long straight - so it will usually only really fit one part of the track and be off for the rest).

Boosted setups have the disadvantage of requiring you to set three different timings: your mechanical timing on the motor itself, a boost (curve) from a certain RPM (or throttle setting) and a turbo setting for full throttle (or a certain RPM), to get the perfect mix. The advantage (if setup right) of course is, that you can have varying timing around your lap, fitting all sections, the technical infield, the fast sweepers and the long straight - which will improve performance and efficiency (and usually dropping motor temps as well).

Again, IMO these are the real differences.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

12th scale should stay foam, every one wants to change things all the time. Every time something is changed in a class it usually does not fear very well.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
I could argue now that you can make rather precise incremental changes with the markings on your endbell, too. It's just analog, mechanical scale, not some digital electronic, that's all. And IMO this is not really the advantage of boost. Both, blinky and boost have advantages and disadvantages:

Blinky mode has an advantage in that you just have to figure out one timing and you're done. The disadvantage: you're stuck with that one fixed timing for the whole lap - from the slowest corner to the long straight - so it will usually only really fit one part of the track and be off for the rest).

Boosted setups have the disadvantage of requiring you to set three different timings: your mechanical timing on the motor itself, a boost (curve) from a certain RPM (or throttle setting) and a turbo setting for full throttle (or a certain RPM), to get the perfect mix. The advantage (if setup right) of course is, that you can have varying timing around your lap, fitting all sections, the technical infield, the fast sweepers and the long straight - which will improve performance and efficiency (and usually dropping motor temps as well).

Again, IMO these are the real differences.
You my friend have never ran a lot of Boosted. You almost never change the motor can timing once it is set, you just add/remove boost.

Boosted also opened up the motor and speedo options. With blinky you are stuck with the motor and speedo of the month which is very expensive.

We should have never moved away from Boosted, however the VTA and GT classes had a louder voice even though they had no idea of the results of this bad decision.

Look at Rubber TC here in the US, you may see foam come back because people have now learned rubber tires are horrible on carpet, too bad it took this long.

Steve Dunn
Pro One.
chensleyrc1 and el salvador like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.