Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Matt Francis Timing Jig & Break-in Stand >

Matt Francis Timing Jig & Break-in Stand

Matt Francis Timing Jig & Break-in Stand

Old 11-21-2002, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Default Matt Francis Timing Jig & Break-in Stand

I just bought one of these neat looking things today and it has already started to disintegrate.
The Acrylic plates have cracks all through the holes that the stand-offs mount to. This happened after running just one motor on the stand for break-in.
Anyone else have one of these things?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've had one since they first came out months ago and have had no problems at all.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Mine hasnt broken either. Did you tighten everthing by hand or did you use plyers or something to try to attach to the posts to the stand. I just installed everything by hand, I think you might have messed it up if you overtightened the stand.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Default OVER Tightening!!!

Well, maybe a little. I was concerned about vibration causing it to fall apart. I just put CA around all the cracked areas and it seems to be holding up fine.

Thanks,
Old 12-04-2002, 07:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

When I built mine, I put an 0 ring between the posts and the plate. That way it didn't put too much pressure on it, and the vibration didn't cause the screws to back out. I had a shock dyno, and I made the mistake of putting a little locktite on the screws and no o-rings, next morning all the ears were cracked around the screws. I know you can get a new top plate for the shock dyno (Found out AFTER I threw mine out, doh!) so maybe you can get one for the break in stand as well.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Trinity was selling them for like $13 at Cleveland... how much do these retail for? Anyhow my friends pick them up and has not had a problem with them yet. I think the over tightening of them with the acrylic will cause cracks due to vibration. Best to leave them hand tightened...