Like Tree707Likes

Mugen MTC1

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual

The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth

48p = 95 to 120 total teeth

People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.

4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.

5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.

Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer

Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup

Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Old 10-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Tech Initiate

I built my car with the aluminum chassis, but stuck to the split upper deck until our club recently purchased black carpet. I found the upper deck makes it less twitchy than the split upper deck.

Has anybody tried X-ray progressive springs?
Old 10-12-2018, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 201 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clydeywidey1 View Post
I built my car with the aluminum chassis, but stuck to the split upper deck until our club recently purchased black carpet. I found the upper deck makes it less twitchy than the split upper deck.

here is a set up that i ran with xray progressive springs , stock chassis on black carpet its a good set up for low to medium grip , my friend has the MTC1 with the aluminum chassis but the car still a little off pace.

http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/mug...eFuzz20180331/
Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have been running mod with this setup on black carpet and I am on pace with all other cars (XRAY).

http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/mug...aun2018020204/

I have been running 2.5 FT / 2.6 or 2.7 Rear Xray Springs depending on grip.

Make sure you have all the carpet tricks done that Pietsch posted up earlier this year; top deck bolted down to the steering posts, etc... He posted a lot of tips and they helped a ton. One other thing that was a big improvement on the black carpet, get a PRO-LITE body. I am running an ultra - lite Racer body and like it a lot. We are running Jaco Blue tires and barely have to glue them with this setup.

I also ran my sons USGT car with the exact setup listed above in that link and it was on pace with the top A main pace fyi.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:12 PM
Tech Initiate

What are some of the tips you talk about? Where can I find them?
Old 10-12-2018, 11:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What are some of the tips you talk about? Where can I find them?
Start back on page 80 and read and take notes as you go. It will pretty much take 8-10 pages to get the majority of what's being discussed here.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Could some of you kind folks clue me in on some of these black carpet tips?
Old 10-14-2018, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Could some of you kind folks clue me in on some of these black carpet tips?
look on the bottom of this page: Mugen Seiki MTC1 Manual & Setup Sheets
Old 10-23-2018, 06:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Has anybody weighed their cars with scales under each wheel? I have a fairly significant cross weight issue I think. The Front right, and rear left being 35 grams heavier than its counter part. I set my car up with a setup station, then droop with the hudy setup blocks 6F, 5R. I set the tweak by lifting the rear, or front with a screwdriver in the balance pin hole, and seeing which wheel comes off the ground first.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-23-2018, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Has anybody weighed their cars with scales under each wheel? I have a fairly significant cross weight issue I think. The Front right, and rear left being 35 grams heavier than its counter part. I set my car up with a setup station, then droop with the hudy setup blocks 6F, 5R. I set the tweak by lifting the rear, or front with a screwdriver in the balance pin hole, and seeing which wheel comes off the ground first.

Any thoughts?
thr carbon chassis is easily tweaked due to its extreme flex which for me a slight weakness of the design . Had this and tried to fix it by dismantling the whole chassis apart and it would still come back after a few runs with no crashes whatsoever. Changed to the aluminium chassis and it never had that issue even after races or crashes. Even had a 2nd carbon chassis of another make Thinkhardrc and it t never had this problem.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BD1541 View Post

thr carbon chassis is easily tweaked due to its extreme flex which for me a slight weakness of the design . Had this and tried to fix it by dismantling the whole chassis apart and it would still come back after a few runs with no crashes whatsoever. Changed to the aluminium chassis and it never had that issue even after races or crashes. Even had a 2nd carbon chassis of another make Thinkhardrc and it t never had this problem.
I have never run the carbon chassis, always aluminum. Would you suggest me loosening the bulkheads off and re tightening?

My car was once balanced a few a few weeks ago and all looked fine. Seems to drive the same, but drives me nuts!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

I have never run the carbon chassis, always aluminum. Would you suggest me loosening the bulkheads off and re tightening?

My car was once balanced a few a few weeks ago and all looked fine. Seems to drive the same, but drives me nuts!
undo your lower bulkhead screws upper deck screws and shock tower screws twist the front and rear a little and retighten the bulkhead and upper deck then shock towers. You may even want to look at your motor mount if it had a crash of some sort. It should be fine then.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BD1541 View Post
undo your lower bulkhead screws upper deck screws and shock tower screws twist the front and rear a little and retighten the bulkhead and upper deck then shock towers. You may even want to look at your motor mount if it had a crash of some sort. It should be fine then.

Just did that, and didnít notice a great improvement. I put my car on a tweak bar, and it was slightly off. I adjusted the car to where it was bang on the tweak bar, and now its within 5 grams left to right.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Tech Initiate

What has been the best changes you guys have made to your cars for CRC black carpet?

So far my best changes from stock have been Aluminum Chassis, Xray Springs, and the one piece top deck.

The X-ray springs made the car feel more planted through sweeping corners, not making the car roll too much, but still retaining great grip.
carkillaii likes this.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Rear Diff X-ray O rings

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post

xray has a oring that fits and doesnít bind. Found this out on my first diff. Second diff I used stock Orings but wet sanded washers to remove sharp burr on the one side. Only used oil to lube the oring no grease. Itís pretty smooth. 7k in first diff and 5k in second backup diff.
Does anyone know which X-Ray orings work with the rear diff? I am having trouble finding the s5 red soft o-rings in stock that I can get in a reasonable abmount of time.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

After an intense year of testing and racing, Mugen Seiki is excited to announce information about the MTC1 performance conversion kit. All the new parts were used at the Reedy Race of Champions EU, where all 3 prototypes MTC1’s ended up in top 10 of the modified class. The prototype MTC1 was able to log some of the fastest lap times of the entire event!

Testing with the prototype MTC1 on asphalt has also shown great results. Most testing was been done by pro drivers, but we also did testing with hobby customers and the testing displayed great results for drivers of all levels.

The kit includes following parts:
1. New upper deck with pitch control rod. Mugen Seiki’s new pitch control rod system prevents the chassis from bending over the maximum length, as it is fixed from the motor mount to the upper deck. Furthermore the flex of the chassis is not affected from the rod. It improves the acceleration significantly especially on carpet or high grip conditions.
2. New C-Hub front suspension. After intense testing we found out that the C-Hub suspension system, in combination with a different wheel axle position, is much easier to drive then the original design.
3. New shock/differential O-Rings: The new softer O-Rings providing less friction and both shocks and differential are working more smooth. This makes the car easier to drive especially on bumpy tracks or tracks with curbs or dots.
4. New differential gears. The new material of differential gears provides increased durability and smoother operation. This will also allow you to do more running between rebuilds.
5. Aluminium spool outdrives. The aluminium outdrives increase the durability of the outdrives. Simply change the composite blades from time to time for increased durability.
All in all, the MTC1 performance kit improves the car durability and performance significantly, and makes the MTC1 highly competitive in the electric touring car class for drivers of all levels.

Carpet and Asphalt set-up can be found here: Mugen Seiki Home (English)
Joe Maxey likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service