Like Tree758Likes

Mugen MTC1

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual

The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth

48p = 95 to 120 total teeth

People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.

4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.

5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.

Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer

Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup

Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Old 03-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Here you go , so far its very easy to drive lots of corner speed

i forgot to mark the bottom shock mount , i have them on the default setting

Ran this setup at Fort Myers Track (hosting ROAR Nationals this year) and it was very easy to drive plenty of steering actually a little too much lol , wanted to try Race Opt Progressive Springs but time did not allow me, will try them this weekend.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BD1541 View Post
Hi

Very thoughtful changes you have written here. Have you had experiences with this car having a snappy rear? This may have to do with the fact that the initial turn in and rotation of this car is very aggresive and may well be the most aggressive of any touring car out there today..compensation have been made with the roll centre shims that have made it a lot better. Just wondering which of the mods you have specified impacts the aggresiveness of this the most? Trying to bring it down heaps more if i can. One point is that on a hot weather our track surface temp hits 60 deg C then again i feel this is irregardless of ambient temps.
Personally, I think a lot of the aggressiveness comes from the ultra flex top deck. It really grips the front of the car up and can make it hard to be consistent (as having too much flex tends to do). I'll admit it feels good on track initially, but every time I try the one-piece vs Ultra flex, I'm faster and more consistent with the one-piece style, even in low traction.

In terms of trying to help lock in the rear, two things. Run some angle on the rear link. If using standard positions, 2mm under the rear outer hub, and 0mm inside gives more camber gain that can help.
The other thing that I found to help lock the rear of the car in was to use all the screws in the motor mount, including the rear most with the spacing shim. Helps to stop the rear of the car flexing around too much.

Do you find the rear diff gears being stripped from time to time? Been seeing that on many cars here. Wondering if this is a design issue mugen has taken note of. Thks.
Honestly not had any issues in the three diffs I have. And the oil barely gets grey on the ones I have re-filled. Having said that, I do sand the back of the gears to remove the flashing and get them flat, which may be helping in that regard.

Ed
Marcos.J and DavidNERODease like this.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/mug...ceway20180318/
Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

We have a local indoor track with brand new crc black carpet that just opened this past weekend , hopefully I can get a set up going this weekend
carkillaii and liljohn1064 like this.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Ready for some Mod test and tune at Valkaria Raceway this Saturday

Last edited by Marcos.J; 03-22-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post

Now, I know it is a very big departure from a lot of other setups out there, but bare with me. And I have also referenced back to the kit setup (back-backs) and feel this is the right direction to be going. I don't agree with the super low front roll centre/less flex route that seems to be being run elsewhere, so I am working on a more conventional philosphy..........

That pretty much covers it. I would actually encourage people to really give this a try. Obviously the bottom deck, top deck and rear tower are unique items (and I have plans for another revision yet!), but the rest can bolt onto the standard MTC1 easy (just use all the motor mount screws). I may be biased, but for me it has really improved the balance of the car, and help unleash its potential.

[Also - I'm going to do a video blog soon to run through this lot, should be a bit easier to understand ]
I tried raising the bulkheads, the steering knuckle at the caster block, and Xray hubs yesterday. This was on black carpet, 60+ entries. I had not run the car in some time as the track had moved, and I have been busy anyway. The above was the only changes I made from what I was running before.

The car was obviously much more free mid corner, carrying plenty of corner speed. For the second run, I actually moved the front arms forward, (1 spacer each side, from 2 spacers in front of the arm) as it had a huge amount of rotation. I had both front and rear arms full back at first.

I would recommend at least these parts of the changes TryHard suggested 100% for carpet. My buddy who was watching track side was impressed with the way the car looked. Lap times looked good, not great. I just ran a few packs in practice between rounds, so there was more to dial in to be on pace. Still, initially very good with just those changes. One of the problems I had with this car was feeling like it stopped in the corners, this was a huge help..
Old 03-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

The car is dialed for asphalt out of the box

The above mod for black crc is what I have done with the car. Car has next to no flex with it I have seen where you can mount the servo plate to the chassis to take some flex ,I also added this little straps to it now it has very little flex. Will try it out this weekend.

I ran the car yesterday on Black CRC carpet with my asphalt set up just using the above plates that I made and the car was on point with other cars that were only set up for carpet. it has almost no flex in the front. i'm just going to install 2.6-2.8 xray springs in the front and 2.6 in the rear and go from there.

Originally Posted by robk View Post
I tried raising the bulkheads, the steering knuckle at the caster block, and Xray hubs yesterday. This was on black carpet, 60+ entries. I had not run the car in some time as the track had moved, and I have been busy anyway. The above was the only changes I made from what I was running before.

The car was obviously much more free mid corner, carrying plenty of corner speed. For the second run, I actually moved the front arms forward, (1 spacer each side, from 2 spacers in front of the arm) as it had a huge amount of rotation. I had both front and rear arms full back at first.

I would recommend at least these parts of the changes TryHard suggested 100% for carpet. My buddy who was watching track side was impressed with the way the car looked. Lap times looked good, not great. I just ran a few packs in practice between rounds, so there was more to dial in to be on pace. Still, initially very good with just those changes. One of the problems I had with this car was feeling like it stopped in the corners, this was a huge help..
robk and Antimullet like this.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Ready for some more carpet the next few days
Old 03-27-2018, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ready for some more carpet the next few days
Marcos Have you tried a solid top deck with your added mod yet?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carkillaii View Post
Marcos Have you tried a solid top deck with your added mod yet?
I ran both Sunday the car was getting a faster lap with the stock top deck with my mod, the solid top deck was more stable but about a tenth slower. Trying out race opt progressive springs this week with some droop and roll center changes
carkillaii and Antimullet like this.

Last edited by Marcos.J; 03-27-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

here is my latest set up for black crc carpet for now , the carpet is still pretty new so the bite keeps getting better , i would say now its about medium but in the main it started to bite a little more.

was able to set TQ with the fastest single lap but traction rolled twice in the last 2 laps and kept me at a second place finish.

these are the plates

Antimullet likes this.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Well some good news

Red RC ? RC Car News Mugen Seiki sign Viljami Kutvonen

Viljami kutvonen have agreed with the mugen on a contract and will drive mtc1.
Good luck Mugen seiki and Viljami Kutvonen
Old 04-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Here is my setup in PDF
http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/mug...eFuzz20180331/
Old 04-05-2018, 11:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Looking at this ride for my sedan return........If MarcosJ is running it the I'm set
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

It's one of the highest quality kits available - except for the hardware (screws) which are average.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.