Like Tree758Likes

Mugen MTC1

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual




The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth


48p = 95 to 120 total teeth


People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.


4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.


5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.


Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer


Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup


Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Old 09-27-2017, 11:13 PM
  #916  
MGU
Tech Adept
 
MGU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by BD1541 View Post
May I know what mistake did you make during the installation I suppose on the caster clip position? My car is also having crazy amount of steering response thus am thinking if mine is the same.

Thks

Dixon
If everything is build according to the manual you could always reduce the steering rate. I have not driven mine but with my xray I normally run a steering rate of 70% since it has waaaay to much response otherwise. The exception are the small, slow, tight tracks where I increase it a little bit.
forFREEDOM likes this.
MGU is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 12:14 AM
  #917  
Tech Addict
 
Stein Tumert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway (Oslo) / Germany (Hamburg)
Posts: 560
Default

Originally Posted by MGU View Post
If everything is build according to the manual you could always reduce the steering rate. I have not driven mine but with my xray I normally run a steering rate of 70% since it has waaaay to much response otherwise. The exception are the small, slow, tight tracks where I increase it a little bit.

Had to do exactly the same on the Tamiya 419X (80% or so)...
Stein Tumert is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 12:28 AM
  #918  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 29
Default

1,5mm??

You normally use 2 mm front 2mm rear.
Small clip is 0.5mm, big clip is 1mm. Instead of using 0.4mm spacer instead of 0,5mm clip you can also slightly grind the upper suspension (or use directly aluminium spacer instead of those plastic clips)

With 1.5 you have massive slop in the suspension ?!
Benn0 is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 12:58 AM
  #919  
MGU
Tech Adept
 
MGU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
1,5mm??

You normally use 2 mm front 2mm rear.
Small clip is 0.5mm, big clip is 1mm. Instead of using 0.4mm spacer instead of 0,5mm clip you can also slightly grind the upper suspension (or use directly aluminium spacer instead of those plastic clips)

With 1.5 you have massive slop in the suspension ?!
Hmm I did not try that yet but would two 2mm shims front and back work or would they bind as well.

I should have tried that from the beginning but I thought I might play around with caster changes in the future.
MGU is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 01:19 AM
  #920  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: suffolk uk
Posts: 67
Default

Originally Posted by MGU View Post
Hmm I did not try that yet but would two 2mm shims front and back work or would they bind as well.

I should have tried that from the beginning but I thought I might play around with caster changes in the future.
Check the castor angle, Your be quite surprised with the kit setting.

Last edited by matt prigmore; 09-28-2017 at 01:31 AM.
matt prigmore is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 01:31 AM
  #921  
MGU
Tech Adept
 
MGU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by matt prigmore View Post
Check the castor angle, Your be quite surprised with the kit setting. Quite far of from the obligatory 4 degrees tc setting.
Interesting, since the manual "says" that it is 4 degrees in the default configuration. Is it more or less out of the box? I could understand if it was more since with the errata you have 2mm-front 1.9mm-back, so you have variable caster.
MGU is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 01:40 AM
  #922  
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,121
Default

New video on Facebook about option parts
https://www.facebook.com/MugenSeikiE...0484193301269/
Roelof is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 01:58 AM
  #923  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
disaster999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,533
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I ordered and picked up my replacement gears for the diff and cleaned up the old ones to show the degree of wear it had.

Note how much the teeth on the ring and spider gear are worn to a sharp point.


Since the gears are made of a composite material and they were grinding pretty severely inside the diff, the plastic filing acted like an abrasive material and notched the cross axle which the spider gears rotate on.


While I was at my LHS, I picked up an extra diff and put some lighter diff oil for testing and tuning, or for a quick swap in the future if the gears starts grinding again.
disaster999 is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 02:18 AM
  #924  
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,121
Default

Could it be that the used oil affected the plastics?
Roelof is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 02:28 AM
  #925  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 527
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Well... the "Mugenix" is out the bag...

From Fenix Racing, a whole package for the Mugen Mtc1



Giorgio is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 03:43 AM
  #926  
MGU
Tech Adept
 
MGU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
New video on Facebook about option parts
https://www.facebook.com/MugenSeikiE...0484193301269/
And here is me waiting for the one piece topdeck to be available on this side of the planet. Looking at all the distributors it looks like it should be in stock again next week. (around 5th of October).
MGU is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 04:47 AM
  #927  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: suffolk uk
Posts: 67
Default

Originally Posted by MGU View Post
Interesting, since the manual "says" that it is 4 degrees in the default configuration. Is it more or less out of the box? I could understand if it was more since with the errata you have 2mm-front 1.9mm-back, so you have variable caster.
Less, just under 3 degrees on gauges, using castor doodles and X-ray set up system. The same was replicated measuring the castor, using a pitch gauge and
a plate mounted to the top of the hub sitting Parallel to the out drive.

I have shared this information as myself and others have found the car very difficult to drive in kit form. Some of the other team guys, from the uk importer, deceided to check this, as will all felt that car drove like it had to little castor. Take this how you want. I shared this info, as I dont want other races have a negative experience with this awesome car.

Last edited by matt prigmore; 09-28-2017 at 05:01 AM.
matt prigmore is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 06:02 AM
  #928  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 29
Default

so has anyone made experience with adjusted front caster settings?
Benn0 is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 06:11 AM
  #929  
MGU
Tech Adept
 
MGU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by matt prigmore View Post
Less, just under 3 degrees on gauges, using castor doodles and X-ray set up system. The same was replicated measuring the castor, using a pitch gauge and
a plate mounted to the top of the hub sitting Parallel to the out drive.

I have shared this information as myself and others have found the car very difficult to drive in kit form. Some of the other team guys, from the uk importer, deceided to check this, as will all felt that car drove like it had to little castor. Take this how you want. I shared this info, as I dont want other races have a negative experience with this awesome car.
Thank you for the information. So running 1.5 in the back and 2.5 should improve this then
MGU is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 06:49 AM
  #930  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: suffolk uk
Posts: 67
Default

Originally Posted by MGU View Post
Thank you for the information. So running 1.5 in the back and 2.5 should improve this then
yes, one guy is running 2.5mm front and 1.5mm rear, outdoors and me and the rest are using 3mm front and 1mm rear on carpet.
matt prigmore is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.