Like Tree758Likes

Mugen MTC1

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual

The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth

48p = 95 to 120 total teeth

People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.

4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.

5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.

Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer

Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup

Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Old 09-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

But was it only the 40t making it better or did it cause a different internal ratio moving the weight of the motor to get a same total ratio or was it the larger diameter causing a more gyroscopic effect helping the car?

There are more thinges changed than only the amount of teeth.....
gigaplex likes this.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba View Post
This is interesting - could argue what the chassis is. Does the front bumper constitute part of the chassis? Or would we be actually talking about the carbon part.

Does the same IFMAR rule apply to 1/8th on-road? Because the front bumpers there have aero in them and have done at least in the last gen
Well, it's either part of the chassis, or it's an aerodynamic shaped part fitted to the chassis.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
But was it only the 40t making it better or did it cause a different internal ratio moving the weight of the motor to get a same total ratio or was it the larger diameter causing a more gyroscopic effect helping the car?

There are more thinges changed than only the amount of teeth.....
YOKOMO explained it that the larger pulleys increased the rotational mass, what increase the traction and corner speed.

As I said We haven't tried the 40T pulley conversion yet.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:39 AM
Tech Elite

Ha. That is a pretty clear rule, but I remember Tamiya had the TRF416 chassis (or was it only the TA05MS? - not sure) with cutouts that could take something that looked like a NACA scoop inverted to suck air from underneath the chassis and cool the motor. Remember that? Was that illegal then, under this rule?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Ha. That is a pretty clear rule, but I remember Tamiya had the TRF416 chassis (or was it only the TA05MS? - not sure) with cutouts that could take something that looked like a NACA scoop inverted to suck air from underneath the chassis and cool the motor. Remember that? Was that illegal then, under this rule?
Not sure about Tamiya, but Associated had something like that on their TC4. It wasn't considered an aerodynamic aid, it was a cooling aid.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by silden View Post
YOKOMO explained it that the larger pulleys increased the rotational mass, what increase the traction and corner speed.

As I said We haven't tried the 40T pulley conversion yet.
More rotational mass slows down the acceleration that can increase the grip (less wheelspin) as we also see that steel fly wheels in the nitro offroad is sometimes very populair.
But what counts for a Yokomo does not mean it also counts for another car and beside that, in the RC world there is a lot of bullsh*t talk so do not stick with the only idea that the rotational mass of the 40t pulley is better. A higher rotational mass is always worse for the acceleration.
glennhl likes this.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Been having this chat in Aussie in various locations - interested to hear what this thread thinks

IFMAR RULE 5.0.5: The chassis must not be shaped to gain an aerodynamic advantage. In principle, the underside of the chassis must be flat and parallel to the ground along the entire length of the body shell. Aerodynamic shaped parts (splitters/diffusers/tunnels/etc.) may not be fitted to the chassis.
The BRCA in the UK have already asked racers to put tape over the bumper as it could contravene a rule about aerodynamic aids under the body.

I'd imagine Mugen will make a new bumper for countries where it's against the rules.
gigaplex likes this.

Last edited by daveaustin5; 09-14-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post
The BRCA in the UK have already asked racers to put tape over the bumper as it could contravene a rule about aerodynamic aids under the body.

I'd imagine Mugen will make a new bumper for countries where it's against the rules.
BRCA and AARCMCC rules are basically same.

ROAR - no such rule.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

took off work today to build my mtc1 . sit down to open the box and right on the front i see spur gear not included. put the box back on the shelf and now time to order parts .
Ggrant likes this.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:00 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
took off work today to build my mtc1 . sit down to open the box and right on the front i see spur gear not included. put the box back on the shelf and now time to order parts .
Do you not have a local rc shop to get spur gears from?
Old 09-14-2017, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
BRCA and AARCMCC rules are basically same.

ROAR - no such rule.
From the IFMAR handbook;
The chassis must not be shaped to gain an aerodynamic advantage. In principle, the
underside of the chassis must be flat and parallel to the ground along the entire length of the
body shell. Aerodynamic shaped parts (splitters/diffusers/tunnels/etc.) may not be fitted to the
chassis
Sounds like ROAR's rules need tightening up
Old 09-14-2017, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It does seem strange that Mugen have overlooked the bumper aero issue! It seems everywhere bar ROAR it is illegal.... The BRCA have made a very good and sensible call in allowing the holes to be simply taped up for now until a longer term solution is found.

I’m not far off pulling the trigger on the MTC1 as I’m intrigued how this compares to a traditional design - particularly that front end.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No spurs 40T pulleys bah bah just run the damm car then
Marcos.J and Antimullet like this.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
It does seem strange that Mugen have overlooked the bumper aero issue! It seems everywhere bar ROAR it is illegal.... The BRCA have made a very good and sensible call in allowing the holes to be simply taped up for now until a longer term solution is found.

Iím not far off pulling the trigger on the MTC1 as Iím intrigued how this compares to a traditional design - particularly that front end.
I think it's legal under EFRA rules too, I couldn't find anything regarding aerodynamics in their rulesets.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bar View Post
Do you not have a local rc shop to get spur gears from?
no.

moved on and started working on my roche p10w

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.