Like Tree758Likes

Mugen MTC1

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual

The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth

48p = 95 to 120 total teeth

People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.

4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.

5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.

Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer

Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup

Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Old 09-07-2017, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai View Post
what would you rather replace if you crash?
C blades on a driveshaft.

The plastic cups are fine when new, but spotting wear on them (well, in them) is harder - especially as installed.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
C blades on a driveshaft.

The plastic cups are fine when new, but spotting wear on them (well, in them) is harder - especially as installed.
If anything like the Xray plastic spool cups then pretty rubbish.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

My VBC plastic spool cups are fantastic but I haven't run my Xray long enough to compare. Point being that plastic spool cups can be really good. I guess we'll find out soon enough about the Mugen's but I'm not worried.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by niznai View Post
But of course. That is exactly Xray style.

I think that should be a pretty durable setup and like I said, what would you rather replace if you crash?
Well, it is the matter of your preference. If you are worried about crash and incurred cost, you cannot use anything expensive in your car. In that sense, i think you are wrong. But as far as plastic outdrive is not as fragile as i think it would, i guess it is ok. And i didnt know xray uses plastic as well.
How is the wear on the cups compared with metal cups?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Well, it is the matter of your preference. If you are worried about crash and incurred cost, you cannot use anything expensive in your car. In that sense, i think you are wrong. But as far as plastic outdrive is not as fragile as i think it would, i guess it is ok. And i didnt know xray uses plastic as well.
How is the wear on the cups compared with metal cups?
Wear on my steal outdrives with Orange blades is pretty much none existent after racing all year outside in 13.5 boosted, mod would be higher I imagine. The plastic standard ones wear quite quickly and have a lot of unwanted play after very little running.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bar View Post
Wear on my steal outdrives with Orange blades is pretty much none existent after racing all year outside in 13.5 boosted, mod would be higher I imagine. The plastic standard ones wear quite quickly and have a lot of unwanted play after very little running.
I thought so. Unwanted play might be coming from the two sides of cup spreading out from each other like peeling a banana? LOL
Bar likes this.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

So is Hara a team driver for the MTC1 or just doing testing?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

I thought so. Unwanted play might be coming from the two sides of cup spreading out from each other like peeling a banana? LOL
But the MTC outdrives are closed ones I noticed. Aren't xray outdrives open? It looks like MTC outdrives may be able to prevent the play xray has provided that the inner surface of the plastic outdrives doesn't wear out too quickly.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Xray plastic outdrives are closed. They wear because the dshaft pin cuts into the plastic
Old 09-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

New option parts
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTC1-mu-a2127.jpg   Mugen MTC1-mu-a2405.jpg   Mugen MTC1-mu-a2809.jpg  
Old 09-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Xray plastic outdrives are closed. They wear because the dshaft pin cuts into the plastic
Can use XRAY T4
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Tech Addict

Now ready for shipping
https://www.the-border.com/mugen-sei...car-a2001.html
Old 09-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Then mugen should be similar to xray. Do xray guys change the cup to metal a lot then?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Then mugen should be similar to xray. Do xray guys change the cup to metal a lot then?
Yes. I'd get through 4 or 5 sets of the plastic ones in a season in 13.5 boosted. They're okay in blinky.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Regional Moderator

I could imagine the plastic outdrive wearing out a lot quicker than metal ones as well. And like others have said, the pin will dig into the plastic creating unwanted ware until it just free spins inside the cup from excessive ware. There is a reason why manufactures come out with metal replacements as an option. If you are going to talk cost, buying 4-5 pairs of plastic outdrive cups a season would definitely cost more than just a single set of metal one. Not to mention metal drive cups usually last at least 2 seasons. Also, think of all the time needed to break the car down to replace them if the plastic ones are worn. I rather deal with it one time than constantly wrenching on the car.

Im not even sure why so much emphasis is put on crashing. I have yet to break a metal outdrive cup yet, but if you manage to do so in a crash, you'll probably be dealing with far more than just a broken drive cup.
snuvet75 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.