Like Tree758Likes

Mugen MTC1

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual




The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth


48p = 95 to 120 total teeth


People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.


4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.


5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.


Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer


Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup


Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Old 08-03-2017, 01:58 PM
  #436  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 328
Default

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
2005 called, they want their lipos back... Thunder power has not been relevant in about 3 years on the surface side. At one point they did have the highest quality stuff, but that was a while back, especially with the graphene stuff. You can get really good stuff just about anywhere today.
About three years ago I spoke with associated about reedy lipos and all they said is that their lipos are just as good as tp. Tp lipos are so balanced that you could charge them at amps higher than others. Higher c rating too. Although volts are what's important.

But haven't had tp lipos for a while so I'll keep that in mind. What lipo brands hold voltage better right now? Or are they all about the same, just a matter of mah?

Last edited by latentspeed; 08-03-2017 at 02:15 PM.
latentspeed is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 02:07 PM
  #437  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 328
Default

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
i dont give warnings, if i suspended you for less than 1 year that's your warning, and you made a second account while suspended

now lets enjoy the thread
Exactly. Let's enjoy, but you are in the way of it. That's why you shouldn't post none thread related stuff like suspension on this thread. Should be sent by pm. Waving your moderator privileges around for everyone to see only turned everyone away just like what happened here a month ago. Comprehend that.

If you respond I'll respond through pm.
latentspeed is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 02:25 PM
  #438  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: My house.
Posts: 3,566
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Man, Maxamps is proud of their stuff, huh?
The flame wars were epic! Nowadays almost any lipo is good and being more expensive isn't a sign of a better one, I like particularly the cheaper ones like SMC, Turnigy and another USA brand I can't remember the name now,Promatch I think.
30Tooth is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 04:00 PM
  #439  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,063
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
2005 called, they want their lipos back... Thunder power has not been relevant in about 3 years on the surface side. At one point they did have the highest quality stuff, but that was a while back, especially with the graphene stuff. You can get really good stuff just about anywhere today.
Come on Cristian, I still run my 4200 thunderpower 40C packs vs the new hv batteries, and they do pretty good in 17.5t blinky... Yes, C rating is all hype, when you consider that I use to run tp 3300mah before my latest 7500mah turnigy pack: no real difference to me except I lose corner speed due to the extra 110gram..... I say run whatever gets you right at minimum weight with the highest capacity....
PS: I had to throw away all my Maxxamps packs due to significantly less performance than my TP packs...$695 down the toilet...lol....
bertrandsv87 is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 06:55 PM
  #440  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
disaster999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,534
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease View Post
It looks like considerable design effort went into getting the servo as close to the belt as possible - it's so close you have to trim off the lower mounting ear but I'm still confused by those extra mounting holes in the chassis - they don't have the associated locating "pin" holes?
Well that sucks, I was hoping I could use a full metal case servo for this car but now that part of the servo horn needs to be trimmed I guess Im going back to a plastic case instead.

I could dremal part of the ear off, but not sure if I wanna do that.
disaster999 is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 07:16 PM
  #441  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (211)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 30,955
Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by latentspeed View Post
Exactly. Let's enjoy, but you are in the way of it. That's why you shouldn't post none thread related stuff like suspension on this thread. Should be sent by pm. Waving your moderator privileges around for everyone to see only turned everyone away just like what happened here a month ago. Comprehend that.

If you respond I'll respond through pm.
just enforcing the rules and complaints , plus your violation of ib rules for making a second account and since you want o continue on a open forum how about another 3 months off , try again in 90 days see yah for now

Last edited by Marcos.J; 08-03-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Marcos.J is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 10:31 AM
  #442  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,991
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
I'm with EA. Unless the tracks are very long and racing is 6 minutes plus, outdoors, anything over 5500 mah capacity is a wash on lap times and drop off. I look at it as a compromise, more balanced car tends to be easier to drive and carry higher corner speed while a bigger battery *may have* more power in the last 30 seconds or so of the run. It's debatable though. The only thing that ultimately matters is the IR of the battery. The discharge curve on a lipo is so flat, that the difference in voltage drop of, if any at all is really negligible.

Take it from a guy that runs a car with shorties. My drop off is never any higher delta than the other cars that have full size batteries that I race against. However, when I do go below 5200-5000 mah the last minute in 6 minute races can be a little flat.

A good experiment that I often did was track my voltage post run with different capacity batteries after a race. This is how I came up with the 5500 mah number. Anything above, was coming off the track at roughly the same voltage.

Now, in the past, for example short batteries typically had inferior IR, but recently the gap has closed and you see the batteries have nearly the same numbers as full size counterparts. From what I understand, EA's new Low CG battery has really low, comparable IR.

I will qualify all by saying this Mike Gee is very fast He just kicked my ass running big batteries I assume. I however think the ass whopping would have been equally as bad had he been running a low CG pack. Just goes to show what I often say. There are many ways to go fast. I just wanted to share my experience as I don't believe Bigger Batteries are faster, but sometimes they are. Kind of like sex panther, They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time. :P
This is good to know, as some of the first LCG batteries were hot garbage on IR - Especially the short packs.

I'm still interested to know how the regular short packs are comparing full length packs. At one point, there were some dirt oval guys trying to run shorties in 17.5 sprint car to save space, but it was never as fast as a big pack. Of course this was a while ago. It would be cool to see how this holds up now.
robk is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 11:05 AM
  #443  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: My house.
Posts: 3,566
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

OT deleted.

Last edited by 30Tooth; 08-05-2017 at 02:50 AM.
30Tooth is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:40 PM
  #444  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,161
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
When the GZ-1 starts to appear more in the podium you know the shorties are becoming better. Same with the LCG packs and cars that can take advantage of the better weight distribution they offer like the BD8, A800 and the MTC1.
The results of the car I don't think are related to the battery size. It's more the volume and quality of drivers piloting the car at the moment. We may have 2-3 guys that travel part time to events around the country and have had solid b main finishes. We also had Armand DeForest win amateur in vegas last year in a field with control motors. I have only been to 1 carpet event with it since last year and finished third behind EA and Kyle Klingforth about 1.5 seconds out in A2 and A3, starting from 5th on the grid. I did not get beat by them because of power though. It was my very first time racing TC on black carpet and the car probably needed more steering.

What I am getting to is the success of the car will not hinge on shorties getting better, it will be when we get lucky enough to land one of the top 5-10 travel guys in the country willing to give our car a shot.
CristianTabush is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 02:21 PM
  #445  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: My house.
Posts: 3,566
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

OT deleted.

Last edited by 30Tooth; 08-05-2017 at 02:50 AM.
30Tooth is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 02:47 PM
  #446  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,161
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
I should have been more specific as I didn't target the USA team specifically but the car itself while in a hands of the weekend warrior, both EU and USA based, as I don't like to hand over a car that can't stagnate development wise while relying on someone's driving skill. Removing the preconceived lower performance disadvantage (development of shorty batteries) will make the car more welcomed, more drivers means more possibilities of making the top classes of club racers and so on. Going straight to top drivers like Infinity wasn't a good move, in my opinion. My prediction, Mugen is going to just release these gems and support a tiny team to race at some events.
Don't quite understand the point You are trying to make.

However, let's look at offroad if we want evidence of the success of short packs to drop the preconceived notion. Are buggies using full size packs anymore? I'd argue that 17.5 2wd can be more demanding than TC on avg voltage due to having to have enough power to make certain jumps. However most companies left the tried and true design of RM buggies behind in favor of the more balanced mid motor design with short packs. I don't See them going back to the bigger packs anytime soon.

As for proliferation of our brand. It will take time. Awesomatix did not get there overnight. And it really took the a800 for them to truly arrive.

Mugen has a huge advantage over smaller brands like ours in that it is an established brand with an established distribution network. I think they will do just fine.
CristianTabush is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 03:31 PM
  #447  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: My house.
Posts: 3,566
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Don't quite understand the point You are trying to make.

However, let's look at offroad if we want evidence of the success of short packs to drop the preconceived notion. Are buggies using full size packs anymore? I'd argue that 17.5 2wd can be more demanding than TC on avg voltage due to having to have enough power to make certain jumps. However most companies left the tried and true design of RM buggies behind in favor of the more balanced mid motor design with short packs. I don't See them going back to the bigger packs anytime soon.

As for proliferation of our brand. It will take time. Awesomatix did not get there overnight. And it really took the a800 for them to truly arrive.

Mugen has a huge advantage over smaller brands like ours in that it is an established brand with an established distribution network. I think they will do just fine.
I'm thinking so way ahead I confused myself. The MTC1 has to break the electric on road niche. Being Mugen and all that is like you say a huge advantage but look at the Kyosho TF series...

Last edited by 30Tooth; 08-04-2017 at 03:54 PM.
30Tooth is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 04:22 PM
  #448  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,161
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Kyosho was a bit different of a situation. They never cared about the project and at the time the yen was so high that Kyosho America never brought it into the USA because street price was going to be close to $800.00. They never tried to promote a tc past the stallion stateside. Previous gen cars did well, heck I drove a tf2 and tf3 back in the day.

Mugen is making a conscious effort to promote this kit. Something Kyosho never really did. I received all kinds of emails from Kris Moore with pricing and availability, unsolicited. That's a big difference already.
CristianTabush is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 05:13 PM
  #449  
Tech Addict
 
bd581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, NSW
Posts: 620
Default

I don't think it's completely fair to rate a car based on its performance at minor events.
The simple fact is, the top drivers will still be the top drivers no matter what they are driving (within reason)
Put Volker, Hagburg, Coelha (for example) in a MTC1, Gizmo, Kyosho, Schumacher etc, and I bet we wouldn't be having this conversation
bd581 is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 06:32 PM
  #450  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,161
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by robk View Post
This is good to know, as some of the first LCG batteries were hot garbage on IR - Especially the short packs.

I'm still interested to know how the regular short packs are comparing full length packs. At one point, there were some dirt oval guys trying to run shorties in 17.5 sprint car to save space, but it was never as fast as a big pack. Of course this was a while ago. It would be cool to see how this holds up now.
I have been running PROTEK 6100 HV packs in my cars lately. These are basically the intellect cell that many are getting these days. The IR per cell on an IR Charger that I typically see per cell is around 0.7-1.0, full sized packs are coming in at 0.5-0.8, so while not quite the same it is almost the same. It used to be where the full sized ones were around 1.0-1.5 and shorties were somewhere in the 1.3-2.5 range per cell. This difference was pretty noticeable, the other one, maybe, maybe not, but my though is that it can be overcome by improved balance. I did however like the higher IR Cells for mod. It allowed me to charge my cars to 8.4v and made the power delivery super smooth and consistently. The low IR packs, not a chance in hell...
robk and Antimullet like this.
CristianTabush is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.