Like Tree758Likes

Mugen MTC1

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual

The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth

48p = 95 to 120 total teeth

People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.

4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.

5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.

Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer

Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup

Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Old 08-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
Only if you can run more mah instead of ballast. For example, my car is running a 6200mAh battery and zero ballast, if I used more lightweight parts I could run more mAh but I wouldn't use a heavier battery and add weight to balance side to side.
Mike Gee who won 17.5 at st Louis ran a car with a pcr 8200mah pack that put his car at 1410 instead of the 6200mah pack that made his car 1380 because the longer voltage peak was more advantageous than the light weight and balanced
Old 08-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease View Post
If the CG of the battery pack is lower than total CG of the car then it lowers the overall CG if the battery increases in weight and it's CG still remains lower than the overall CG. A lot of people underestimate the effect of the body on the overall CG and therefore it's higher than many racers think. It's particularly bad on VTA and USGT cars where the finished bodies are well over 100g and the CG of the body is way above the overall CG. It's such a drastic effect that even the paint and stickers affect it. I have actually done the CG calculations on WGT chassis several years ago when I had traction rolling issues. To define measurable - I was able to the lower the overall CG by 4.13mm (height from grade went from 29.77mm to 25.64mm) mostly by changing the body/paint/stickers/body trimming. Plus a little with added weight (7g of lead on the chassis lowered the overall CG of the WGT car by 0.26mm). Of course the effect of the body is less in TC especially if you are using a lightweight shell. Back to the heavier battery pack in a TC - I'm fairly confident that CG of the battery pack is quite a bit lower the overall CG of the whole car - mostly due to the effect of the body, but also the motor CG which is much higher. And there is still a lot parts with CG's above the CG of the battery: the body posts, shocks, shock towers, diffs, wheel/rims, axles etc. It's very deceptive to look at until you really look at.
Interested in your numbers and how you calculated them. I did calculate my car's CG and to have a 4.13mm lower CG I would have to make very big changes.

Originally Posted by thisguy2849 View Post
Mike Gee who won 17.5 at st Louis ran a car with a pcr 8200mah pack that put his car at 1410 instead of the 6200mah pack that made his car 1380 because the longer voltage peak was more advantageous than the light weight and balanced
Incredible. Is it standard procedure now, meaning it proved itself on track as faster than lightweight cars?
Old 08-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

The advantage of being able to carry peak voltage longer has proven to be more important than a light car especially in spec classes
Antimullet likes this.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The advantage of being able to carry peak voltage longer has proven to be more important than a light car especially in spec classes
My car was 1410 at that particular race because I put a heavy bumper on for handling reasons.. but big packs are 100% better for stock classes.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
My car was 1410 at that particular race because I put a heavy bumper on for handling reasons.. but big packs are 100% better for stock classes.
I just typed what Tim told me to type Mike lol
Old 08-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

In spec racing higher my packs are very advantageous actually.
I've cycled them all and ran them all on the track back to back to back. Heavier ones are never faster for me.

EA
glennhl likes this.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
I've cycled them all and ran them all on the track back to back to back. Heavier ones are never faster for me.

EA
I've tried comparing a 4600 shorty vs a 7500 heavy (both Turnigy nano-tech Ultimates) and didn't observe any significant difference in lap times or fade, running 21.5.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post

EA
Lighter ones were also faster for me.
glennhl likes this.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm with EA. Unless the tracks are very long and racing is 6 minutes plus, outdoors, anything over 5500 mah capacity is a wash on lap times and drop off. I look at it as a compromise, more balanced car tends to be easier to drive and carry higher corner speed while a bigger battery *may have* more power in the last 30 seconds or so of the run. It's debatable though. The only thing that ultimately matters is the IR of the battery. The discharge curve on a lipo is so flat, that the difference in voltage drop of, if any at all is really negligible.

Take it from a guy that runs a car with shorties. My drop off is never any higher delta than the other cars that have full size batteries that I race against. However, when I do go below 5200-5000 mah the last minute in 6 minute races can be a little flat.

A good experiment that I often did was track my voltage post run with different capacity batteries after a race. This is how I came up with the 5500 mah number. Anything above, was coming off the track at roughly the same voltage.

Now, in the past, for example short batteries typically had inferior IR, but recently the gap has closed and you see the batteries have nearly the same numbers as full size counterparts. From what I understand, EA's new Low CG battery has really low, comparable IR.

I will qualify all by saying this Mike Gee is very fast He just kicked my ass running big batteries I assume. I however think the ass whopping would have been equally as bad had he been running a low CG pack. Just goes to show what I often say. There are many ways to go fast. I just wanted to share my experience as I don't believe Bigger Batteries are faster, but sometimes they are. Kind of like sex panther, They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time. :P
*SBH*, Skiddins, tbrymer and 2 others like this.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

I guess most of my experience that I see the bigger packs are from racing on the big outdoor tracks we have in Florida.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:33 AM
Tech Elite

I guess most of my experience that I see the bigger packs are from racing on the big outdoor tracks we have in Florida.
Makes sense as corner speed and acceleration/braking gained by lower weight are more important in tight technical tracks, where every second matters.
tbrymer likes this.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

A few things in my mind since reading the Manual and part list.
Is it possible to run the steering servo a little bit more outside (extra holes in chassis?)? If yes, a longer turnbuckle is necessary?
without "trimming" the servo case?
Is it possible to use blades with the optional steel spool outdrives or just
with the optional auliminium spool outdrives?

Regards, Gero
Old 08-03-2017, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Not necessary, the manual calls for a +5mm increment in link length so should be OK. Blades aren't provided with the steel outdrives so no definite answer, prediction is that it doesn't use blades.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

OK, found it. Steering system step 15 in the Manual.
The only thing im missing now is a gear ratio chart.

Regards, Gero
Old 08-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
Makes sense as corner speed and acceleration/braking gained by lower weight are more important in tight technical tracks, where every second matters.
I can't think of even one race track where every second doesn't matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.