Like Tree758Likes

Mugen MTC1

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual

The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth

48p = 95 to 120 total teeth

People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.

4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.

5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.

Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer

Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup

Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Old 06-27-2017, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Ok guys I know most of you don't have a clue about tooling cost, research and development cost ect.... This car fits in it pricing category, Xray, Tamiya, Awesomatix all fall into the 500 dollar pricing range and after you add springs, suspension blocks and other parts you need the price soars.

Most of you guys are just throwing crap at the fan and watching it fly, please stop. If you ever owned a Mugen nitro tc you know Mugen is top notch and they know what they are doing.

I would like to see video of the MTC-1 at the track don't care about the cost, if cost is a problem buy a cheaper car IMO. As a person that has been working in this industry for over 15 years I know what it takes to bring a product like this to market and also for a company like Mugen to put there reputation on the line to design a all new electric tc.

So please chill, if your concerned about price you can't afford it, lets ask questions that make sense and see if Mugen can deliver.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gijoe64 View Post
Ok guys I know most of you don't have a clue about tooling cost, research and development cost ect.... This car fits in it pricing category, Xray, Tamiya, Awesomatix all fall into the 500 dollar pricing range and after you add springs, suspension blocks and other parts you need the price soars.

Most of you guys are just throwing crap at the fan and watching it fly, please stop. If you ever owned a Mugen nitro tc you know Mugen is top notch and they know what they are doing.

I would like to see video of the MTC-1 at the track don't care about the cost, if cost is a problem buy a cheaper car IMO. As a person that has been working in this industry for over 15 years I know what it takes to bring a product like this to market and also for a company like Mugen to put there reputation on the line to design a all new electric tc.

So please chill, if your concerned about price you can't afford it, lets ask questions that make sense and see if Mugen can deliver.
I've found the ignore list awesome for when people talk crap but then I don't represent or work for any RC companies so I don't need to listen to any of those comments.

I think this car is awesome! Super innovative! I've gone through quite a few cars recently and to come. Might just wait till Christmas for this one Those gear diffs look juicy!
gijoe64 likes this.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
If the quality and performance are there, price won't be a big issue. Awesomatix had a really expensive Shaft car in a world of belt drive cars. It had a radical suspension rethink and wasn't like anything else. The kit quality was top notch, the performance was great so people paid the price. Same here if the kit quality is good and it works reasonably well out of the box. People will pay the price. It's really a non issue.
That may or may not be true.

I agree price isn't a problem when it is reflected in quality, but that only goes so far. I don't think anyone would think a Bugatti Veyron is a crap product, yet few are able to dish out. Same applies here. What is the buying power of those who WANT the product? This much. Well, then we'll price it in that bracket. Hopefully we'll turn a profit as well.

How much profit? Well, to manufacture a car (like physically cut the parts, materials, etc,) probably no more than 50$ a pop. Including machine time. All those nice alloy parts are a joke for a modern CNC (if that is what they are using - hopefully) and modern tooling. Factor in R&D say at 100$/hour, say 1000 hours in total. That is 100k in total R&D work. I think both guesstimates are very generous (or at least the prices I would work for). How many cars can you bank on selling? Maybe 1000 give or take a few. That means 50 bucks in materials and machining plus 100 bucks R&D, we're not up to 500$ yet. Add packaging, transport, energy, etc, say another 100 bucks per unit. Again, I think I am very generous. That brings the grand total to about 250$.

And this is where the overheads and taxes come in. I have no idea what these could be, but if they add more than 100 bucks per unit, you're not going very well. 350$ for your product BEFORE the store slaps on their markup. And if the markup is over 50% it would leave very little room for profit for the manufacturer.

But like I said, I am very generous with costs. I would want the manufacturing to come in under 100$ all up (materials, machine time, etc) and I think this is where they are in reality. Mr Hudy is not stupid to invest all that money in modern machinery. 50$ for an alloy knuckle or motor mount is beyond extortionate. Even I can machine that for much less than that with modest hobby grade machinery and perhaps it is not going to look as flashy as the Xray part, and it will probably take me forever to do it but it will do the job perfectly. I assume Mr Hudy's cost would be 1/10 of my cost, and he can probably do it in less than one minute so factor in about 5$ or less. Don't think any of the top manufacturers are far.

If we adjust everything down to find an absolute lower limit, I think the car could come in at about 200$ per unit to the shop's door. That leaves room for 100% shop markup (more like what I believe the real figure is) and some decent profit for the manufacturer.

My conclusion is that the manufacturer makes anywhere between 100 to 150$ profit for each unit. Not that much considering I assumed they sell about 1000 units in all, but think of the spares and hop ups. That is where the money really is. From 5$ a part to 50$ that is 10 times the cost with much lower overheads and everything. For a plastic injection moulded part the difference is even higher and you sell more of each, and you don't even have to have anything on the shelf stocked ready to ship. You can just do a run every now and then when you have enough orders. If you sold 1000 cars, in theory you can sell 1000 times how many of these parts are needed for each car. Even more for ordinary consumables.

Now make that 10000 units sold (at a guess this is where someone like Xray or Mugen would want to be or above) and do the math.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:22 AM
Tech Regular

gijoe64 no one is concerned about being able to afford a toy car. It's the principle and just because you worked in rc doesn't mean a damn thing to me. This talk about prices is annoying me so I'll shut up about that. If you got something to say about it pm me.

Back to the car. Wondering what bodies will work great for it. Bittydesign m410 is getting a lot of praise and many are ditching pf for this body. Haven't raced stock for a while. What's a good 13.5 motor?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba View Post
I've found the ignore list awesome for when people talk crap
This thread seems to attract more idiots than most! I've blocked two people for the crap being posted here.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:40 AM
Tech Regular

Really? Do you have to call people idiots? Just shows that you're a piece of shit hiding behind his computer. There's no need to declare it either, idiot. Don't ask for respect that you don't give.

Last edited by latentspeed; 06-28-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by latentspeed View Post
gijoe64 no one is concerned about being able to afford a toy car. It's the principle and just because you worked in rc doesn't mean a damn thing to me. This talk about prices is annoying me so I'll shut up about that. If you got something to say about it pm me.

Back to the car. Wondering what bodies will work great for it. Bittydesign m410 is getting a lot of praise and many are ditching pf for this body. Haven't raced stock for a while. What's a good 13.5 motor?
Mon-Tech IS200 for me at the moment. It has the steering of the LTC-R but with the stability of the Mazda6. It has been great both indoors on carpet and outdoors on asphalt.
Antimullet and latentspeed like this.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

A couple of you guys with these obviously less than accurate understanding of supply demand market economics really need to go back to school and get this worthless discussion off this thread.

If that hurts your feeling a do a little research and come talk to me in about a year when you have proper schooling.

But put it on a different thread titled "I like to hear myself talk about stuff I have zero experience in".

Until then please change the topic back to the car.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
This thread seems to attract more idiots than most! I've blocked two people for the crap being posted here.
Originally Posted by latentspeed View Post
Really? Do you have to call people idiots? Just shows that you're a piece of shit hiding behind his computer. There's no need to declare it either, idiot. Don't ask for respect that you don't give.
anyone else wants to get banned ? lets stay on topic no need for name calling or insults

Last edited by Marcos.J; 06-28-2017 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:06 AM
No9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This thread needs to be deleted and restarted.
dawgmeat and Antimullet like this.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sigh

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mugen-s...ga2001/p674922

$509 is cake when compared to Xray, Serpent and Awesomatix, if cant afford that get a TC7
Marcos.J and Antimullet like this.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

We would like to share with you comments and first impressions of the MTC1 from R/C Legend Atsushi Hara.

Here’s what Hara had to say about the Mugen Seiki MTC1.

"My first impression of the MTC1 is very impressive. It’s a cool looking car! The design is very innovative and excited my curiosity because the MTC1 combines a mixture of trends from today’s 1/10th nitro and 1/10th electric powered touring cars. MTC1 steering system is amazing! It combines the tuning of a pillow ball design with the durability and precision of a c-hub. The laser etching to verify shock / diff oil viscosity is a simple design to improve efficiency of maintenance.

The parts quality and fit of the parts on the MTC1 is very nice. The MTC1 is very linear and easy to drive. The MTC1 responds well to set-up changes and has perfect overall balance and grip while carrying amazing speed through corners.

All new products take time to mature and reach their full potential, but the MTC1 is very impressive.
I’m excited to see its full potential after further testing.
The MTC1 has many adjustments and will be supported with many option parts."
gijoe64 likes this.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease View Post
We would like to share with you comments and first impressions of the MTC1 from R/C Legend Atsushi Hara.

Hereís what Hara had to say about the Mugen Seiki MTC1.

"My first impression of the MTC1 is very impressive. Itís a cool looking car! The design is very innovative and excited my curiosity because the MTC1 combines a mixture of trends from todayís 1/10th nitro and 1/10th electric powered touring cars. MTC1 steering system is amazing! It combines the tuning of a pillow ball design with the durability and precision of a c-hub. The laser etching to verify shock / diff oil viscosity is a simple design to improve efficiency of maintenance.

The parts quality and fit of the parts on the MTC1 is very nice. The MTC1 is very linear and easy to drive. The MTC1 responds well to set-up changes and has perfect overall balance and grip while carrying amazing speed through corners.

All new products take time to mature and reach their full potential, but the MTC1 is very impressive.
Iím excited to see its full potential after further testing.
The MTC1 has many adjustments and will be supported with many option parts."
When can we see performance videos of the MTC1? Would love to see Hara turn a few laps
Old 06-28-2017, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

I'm going to buy this car and it will be worth every penny. It's designed to make the racer very happy. I know this is premature but thank you Robert Pietsch and Mugen.
Scott B likes this.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

As far as performance video's by GOAT drivers go... there is a racer at my local track that can break the track record with one suspension arm CA glued up in the air (this actually happened). The car looked amazing when he drove it. I say let me take the MTC1 for a spin and see what I can do - LOL now that would be a video worth watching!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.