Like Tree758Likes

Mugen MTC1

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual

The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth

48p = 95 to 120 total teeth

People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.

4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.

5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.

Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer

Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup

Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Old 06-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

The more I look at images of this car, the more I like it. There's amazing attention to detail for a first TC. They've copied all the best bits of the existing TCs, and added a lot of nice touches of their own. If it has the usual Mugen quality, it has huge potential.

Bits I like:
- Central motor mount, with optional screws to adjust flex
- Central front belt so no "on-power tweak"
- Inserts for RC/toe
- Wishbone inserts to allow the lower shock position to be adjusted
- Horizontal upper link position adjustment (like the Pro5)
- Metal parts are keyed to the chassis
- Tape doesn't run under the chassis (okay, not quite as good as a tapeless holder).

It's also a very high spec, including a lot of parts that are optional on other cars:
- Ally steering
- Ally spring retainers
- Ally rear driveshafts and outdrives
- DCJs
- Narrow hexes
- Adjustable body posts
- Chassis brace

They really need to get a race team together to support the car and provide setup direction to the masses. As good as the car looks, without a good setup it'll be average (at best) on track.

Last edited by daleburr; 06-22-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

i see tons of pictures of the car but no videos of the car on the track , not even with Hara ?
Drift_Buggy likes this.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by daleburr View Post

[...]

It's also a very high spec, including a lot of parts that are optional on other cars:
- Ally steering
- Ally spring retainers
- Ally rear driveshafts and outdrives
- DCJs
- Narrow hexes
- Adjustable body posts
- Chassis brace

[...]
I don't see any of the features you listed as a sign of high end.

You can see all of that in cars at a fraction of that price thanks to CNC.

But the main point is none of those things are critically sized.

What I think is the trademark of high end is the alloy gear diff. That needs precision manufacturing otherwise it is going to be useless. That is where the expense goes and that is why most manufacturers prefer injection moulding. Easier, cheaper, but not the same quality.

Their diff also looks like it might allow lateral adjustment of the pulley, which I think would be a great plus. I have been waiting for a long time to see someone make one of these (the Corally NGX diff was half baked unfortunately, huge missed opportunity there). Check out the Losi alloy diff for their off-road buggies, another gem of engineering, good on them, absolutely brilliant quality.

If the Mugen diff also comes with straight gear satellites made of steel (like the Losi one), it will be the end of everybody else's diffs.

I only wish they were a bit more generous with the details about the car, the videos and pictures out do not really show much.
Drift_Buggy likes this.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I don't see any of the features you listed as a sign of high end.

You can see all of that in cars at a fraction of that price thanks to CNC.

But the main point is none of those things are critically sized.

What I think is the trademark of high end is the alloy gear diff. That needs precision manufacturing otherwise it is going to be useless. That is where the expense goes and that is why most manufacturers prefer injection moulding. Easier, cheaper, but not the same quality.

Their diff also looks like it might allow lateral adjustment of the pulley, which I think would be a great plus. I have been waiting for a long time to see someone make one of these (the Corally NGX diff was half baked unfortunately, huge missed opportunity there). Check out the Losi alloy diff for their off-road buggies, another gem of engineering, good on them, absolutely brilliant quality.

If the Mugen diff also comes with straight gear satellites made of steel (like the Losi one), it will be the end of everybody else's diffs.

I only wish they were a bit more generous with the details about the car, the videos and pictures out do not really show much.
Xray T4 doesn't have a lot of those options, Schumacher MI6Evo doesn't come with DCJ's
Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is a whole video that just shows the detail on the diff and shocks
Old 06-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Link?
Old 06-22-2017, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Smashrc View Post
yes, some new design on this car not just another refined copy cat.
Agreed. It's nice seeing some originality. Schumacher and awesomatix are the only ones doing things different and now there's mugen. Schumacher has more steering in my opinion compared to any other. Really not that different from xray, since Juraj Hudy used to work for Schumacher and basically stole their steering trademark.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ogreasurada View Post
Good to see that mugen will have support from Hara. But don't expect him to be winning races. He's not what he used to be. He takes one race contracts with many brands in different classes at events and he can't even podium anymore. Doesn't even make the a main. Teamed up with Tamiya onroad, mugen off-road and still couldn't do much. Sworkz makes excellent cars, but even Hara couldn't show what the cars are capable of.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL1GWzUCyVY
Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I've seen that, Like I said, not much detail and the resolution of the video is absolute shite. What did they shoot it with? A Nokia 2230?

Still, looks like a nice diff and a nice design touch to load everything like a cartridge on one half and pop it in the other. Should take away some of the pain of maintenance.

Last edited by niznai; 06-23-2017 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:37 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by latentspeed View Post
Agreed. It's nice seeing some originality. Schumacher and awesomatix are the only ones doing things different and now there's mugen. Schumacher has more steering in my opinion compared to any other. Really not that different from xray, since Juraj Hudy used to work for Schumacher and basically stole their steering trademark.
When did Juraj Hudy work for Schumacher, I have never heard that before?
Old 06-23-2017, 04:16 AM
Tech Champion

That must be in the time that Hudy was only producing parts for other brands like also Serpent.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Up for pre order on A-Main

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mugen-s...ga2001/p674922
Drift_Buggy and latentspeed like this.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bar View Post
When did Juraj Hudy work for Schumacher, I have never heard that before?
Considering he stole an engineering trademark that doesn't exist, the answer is probably never.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

Not making up stuff. He originally worked for Schumacher and then started the xray brand.

All brands have their own steering feel. Kyosho has the easiest to drive steering which isnt responsive and understeers. Durango is known for having responsive steering. Tekno has insane amount of steering, stability and responsiveness. Their 1/8 buggy steers similar like a touring car. Every brand has their own steering that is applied in their vehicles in each class. Just driving another persons car without being told what brand it is, you might be able to guess it based on how it feels and turns.

That's why if you've driven a Schumacher and xray you will notice that they both have a lot of steering and feel very similar. I've had the first t4 and drove a friend's Schumacher. Schumacher has a bit more steering and responsiveness. Hb is always saying their buggies drive like kyoshos, giving that confidence to drive hard.

Can't find my source where I read it years ago. Believe it or not doesn't matter to me. Let's try not to stray too far from this thread subject.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.