Like Tree740Likes

Mugen MTC1

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual

The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth

48p = 95 to 120 total teeth

People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.

4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.

5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.

Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer

Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup

Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Old 10-09-2019, 07:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Racr67 View Post
Its popping off the ball on the arm.
I also run VTA and had basically the same problem, but mine was worse. The problem is that the rear tire rim is only about 2 to 3mm away from the lower ball cup. Any good side impact will hit it hard enough to possibly pop it off, and in my case, the cup stayed put but stripped out the threads for the grub screw after a few impacts. What was happening was the impact was shearing the grub screw out of the "clam shell" screw pocket in the lower arm and eventually also stripping the thread for the grub screw in the lower mount. Basically stripped it all the way through. That whole shock mount is not a "strong" design

can you still tighten down the shock or does it feel stripped already?

I was not happy about the idea of replacing lower arms after a few side impacts. I found a great solution by inserting a brass M3 insert which I found on www.klinikrc.com . It is a repair kit for just kind of stuff. Made my VTA bullet proof.

Also, Mugen now offers a solution out of aluminum to solve this problem. Part number is A2144 lower arm mount
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Finally ordered a kit to build over the next 60 days while the racing season is pretty much done now.

A few questions, do the white drive belts make a difference? Is the Mugen battery holder option the best way to go? What is the best size range 64p spur for 21.5 or 17.5 classes?

thanks guys
Old 10-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Tech Rookie

That's probably my issue also. I'll try the inserts and see if that helps. The ball studs were very loose. I've been fighting this problem and trying to get a good setup dialed in.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F1fletch View Post
Finally ordered a kit to build over the next 60 days while the racing season is pretty much done now.

A few questions, do the white drive belts make a difference? Is the Mugen battery holder option the best way to go? What is the best size range 64p spur for 21.5 or 17.5 classes?

thanks guys
Depends on the motor, I run for TSR and the V2s loved 102-106, now running V3s, with 96-100, they really like the smaller spurs. As far as battery holder, works good, just a little pricey My opinion. Personally I like Ofnas Velcro strap for the HoBao H4e trimmed to fit the tape slots. Again ...my opinion.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)
Default Spring chart

Is there a spring chart anywhere? I'm looking around for different springs to pick up other then stock. Seems the stock are softer then what I'm seeing on different setup sheets. Running on black carpet and thinking I should stiffen it up a little bit
Old 10-10-2019, 05:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

@hyperfuxx You should try Xray: 2.6 2.7 2.8 and 2.5 to 2.8
I use 2.6 and 2.5-2.8
@F1fletch I use white belts on my 1st MTC1 and black belts on 2nd car...I think it's just it's just a look difference. About battery holder, I think It's well made and easy to use, but it's not so cheap, and for sure the best solution is still the tape. Take a look of top drivers car: no white belts, no battery holder...just tape.
F1fletch and DavidNERODease like this.

Last edited by jakelamotta; 10-10-2019 at 05:52 AM.