R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Returning after a decade! - HPI Pro 4 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/985120-returning-after-decade-hpi-pro-4-a.html)

dreambrother 04-18-2017 12:26 PM

Returning after a decade! - HPI Pro 4

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I messed around with my Pro 4. I decided to dust if off and maybe get the kid into it. There are a bunch of nicely paved empty parking lots around here that I just discovered. After doing a bit of poking around and research I see a lot has changed. My current setup is a Pro 4, Ko Propo VFS Pro (I think, condenser is in the way, ha), Orion Core Stock 27T motor and a 3300 mA NiMH battery. As you can see I'm pretty dated but I figured I can clean up and update my Pro 4 before I even consider shelling out some cash on a new kit.

Are individual NiMH cells even worth using or even used anymore? I made my own back in the day. Is it all LiPo now? I found a few threads about fitting a LiPo pack onto the Pro 4 even though it was made for individual cells. Any recommendations on a basic pack to use? I was thinking about getting the PRO4X2 V2 conversion kit, but if I can get away with a LiPo pack all the better. I know I'll need a new charger since I only have a Superbrain 959, so any recommendation there is appreciated. Or maybe just buy a NiMH pack and save even more?

It'll be nice to get back into the mix. Though the wallet may not like it. Thanks for the help.

Marcos.J 04-18-2017 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by dreambrother (Post 14903032)
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I messed around with my Pro 4. I decided to dust if off and maybe get the kid into it. There are a bunch of nicely paved empty parking lots around here that I just discovered. After doing a bit of poking around and research I see a lot has changed. My current setup is a Pro 4, Ko Propo VFS Pro (I think, condenser is in the way, ha), Orion Core Stock 27T motor and a 3300 mA NiMH battery. As you can see I'm pretty dated but I figured I can clean up and update my Pro 4 before I even consider shelling out some cash on a new kit.

Are individual NiMH cells even worth using or even used anymore? I made my own back in the day. Is it all LiPo now? I found a few threads about fitting a LiPo pack onto the Pro 4 even though it was made for individual cells. Any recommendations on a basic pack to use? I was thinking about getting the PRO4X2 V2 conversion kit, but if I can get away with a LiPo pack all the better. I know I'll need a new charger since I only have a Superbrain 959, so any recommendation there is appreciated. Or maybe just buy a NiMH pack and save even more?

It'll be nice to get back into the mix. Though the wallet may not like it. Thanks for the help.

You are posting in the beast are, if you keep reading you will find all the answers to your questions.

Agusorgenp 04-18-2017 12:51 PM

Is it all lipo now?

I'm a noob, but i can clearly see that lipo is much much better than nimh.

That doesen't say lipo is the only way to go, if you don't need hi performance and your wallet doesen't want to put extra money on a lipo i would say feel free to go nimh.

If you decide to use lipos first double check that your esc can handle it and has lvc, or put an external low voltage alarm.

Hope that was helpful

SpeedySST 04-18-2017 04:01 PM

With brands like Turnigy being so inexpensive for a lipo, I would not waste money on NiMh as long as you have a lipo charger.

dreambrother 04-18-2017 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedySST (Post 14903272)
With brands like Turnigy being so inexpensive for a lipo, I would not waste money on NiMh as long as you have a lipo charger.

Yeah that's the thing I'm trying to decide on as my charger is only for NiMH. My battery is probably dead anyway. I'll research some new chargers, maybe I'll make the switch to LiPo.

bdmpastx 04-18-2017 04:48 PM

Lipos are def worth it. You can get 8000mah packs in lipo. That means you can probably safely drive it for 25-30 minutes and charge it in less than that. NiMH, ha good luck with that. Also brushless is insanely faster than those brushed 27 turn motors. Not to mention much lower maintenance. If you are just bashing about, use what you got, wanna get more serious then you are going to be spending some cash. Things have improved a lot. I too had to learn that as well coming back in 16 years later.

bertrandsv87 04-18-2017 05:12 PM

Brushless+ lipo+ newest chargers is the only way to go... The Mrc superbrain will not charge lipos safely without an external balancer...