Like Tree109Likes

F1 prototype 2017

Old 09-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

LOL, Traxxas has a patent on the "Ball Joint" too. Seriously though, it looks to me that all these patents refer to very specific design, construction and implementation of these components. Looking at the Arrama Nero - it appears to have copied much of the design, construction and implementation of the Traxxas system.
https://www.rccaraction.com/wp-conte...dio-19_cc1.jpg
Old 09-25-2018, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

My message was simply that by proving it was a common design before the patent the patent does not stand that strong in court/whateveritiscalled
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MatsNorway View Post
My message was simply that by proving it was a common design before the patent the patent does not stand that strong in court/whateveritiscalled
Not quite how it works. The ARMA/ Hobbico lawsuit is one of the culprits of the failure of Hobbico. The lawsuit was over the pushrod design, not how the truck actually looks from my understanding. However I will admit that the fact that it looks so similar is why the lawsuit happened.

On the patent, there has been plenty of conversation all over the place. From what I gather, Traxxas' patent in on the usage of pushrod suspensions and inboard shocks on model cars. It's really broad.

The point I am trying to make is not that the patent may or not be enforceable. The issue at hand is that if you were to get in their way or their "path" the actual cost of having to defend you would be overwhelming. Too much for a little guy to withstand vs a company with much deeper pockets. Often most intellectual copyright issues are resolved with a simple seize and desist because the cost of fighting it is too high and the benefit of "winning" the lawsuit are outweighed by the cost to get to this resolution, whether monetary or time.

With that said, I do not believe that G-Rem will have any issues with his current design. I was simply stating that if you worry about protecting intellectual rights in this industry, where you have ALL OF THE LARGE manufacturers copying small design houses all the time, you will be disappointed and probably lose all motivation to do something you should really be doing for the love of.
DavidNERODease and G-rem like this.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

That was my point too... hence me mentioning Tamiya..
Old 09-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks CT for you insight on copyrights and patents, it is really interesting to have someone's advise who is very informed on this particular subject

Of course my main goal is not to fight against the bigger players, it is more in the case of someone is planning to copy my designs in order to sell it (e.g. : through a shapeways store,...),... so that I will be able to prove I am the one behind the ideas, that is my only point
CristianTabush likes this.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Not quite how it works. The ARMA/ Hobbico lawsuit is one of the culprits of the failure of Hobbico. The lawsuit was over the pushrod design, not how the truck actually looks from my understanding. However I will admit that the fact that it looks so similar is why the lawsuit happened.

On the patent, there has been plenty of conversation all over the place. From what I gather, Traxxas' patent in on the usage of pushrod suspensions and inboard shocks on model cars. It's really broad.

The point I am trying to make is not that the patent may or not be enforceable. The issue at hand is that if you were to get in their way or their "path" the actual cost of having to defend you would be overwhelming. Too much for a little guy to withstand vs a company with much deeper pockets. Often most intellectual copyright issues are resolved with a simple seize and desist because the cost of fighting it is too high and the benefit of "winning" the lawsuit are outweighed by the cost to get to this resolution, whether monetary or time.

With that said, I do not believe that G-Rem will have any issues with his current design. I was simply stating that if you worry about protecting intellectual rights in this industry, where you have ALL OF THE LARGE manufacturers copying small design houses all the time, you will be disappointed and probably lose all motivation to do something you should really be doing for the love of.
Also, lets not forget that Serpent had pushrod suspension on its 1/8 cars before Traxxas was a brand! Then of course their last iteration of it was the Veteq. HARM 1/5 also has had pushrod suspension as well.

I think he will be fine.

Are they going to sue F1 Teams next, lol. I doubt it.

Best of luck with the car, reminds me of the 1/10 MLP F206 F1 car when someone decided to make their own 1/10 scale F1 utilizing some Tamiya Parts. Attached are pictures, I always forget about the Car. It was made by Marty Peterson.
G-rem likes this.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 09-30-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is that car using C size battery? Pretty cool looking design tho
Old 09-30-2018, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Yes, Regular old school NiMh battery like we used to run.

The MLP is old, was based on the Tamiya F201
Old 09-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Interesting, how did it drive?
Old 10-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default It's good to be back

G-rem put me down for one also. I've been away from the hobby for a minute but am very excited to see you have kept the FGX-ish belt drive F1 concept alive. Eagerly awaiting any and all of your updates.
G-rem likes this.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks !

I received the parts yesterday, planning on building the car this weekend and post pictures after that, stay tuned
Old 10-12-2018, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

1/8 ic fan...are you marty that worked at al's ?
Old 10-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi everyone,

I received the parts a couple days ago and finally get the time to make a proper assembly, see the result below :

And a familly picture (from V1 to V5) :

Overall, the assembly went smooth and the parts seem to be validated ; I am finally happy with the final result (some very slight adjustments on some non-mechanical parts still to be done), but now I can make the parts in carbon so that I will be able to test the car on track (ETA : early 2019).

Feel free to give me feedback and/or any remarks regarding some technical choices, I would be happy to get challenged (in order to make the car better) and give you further explanation.

Regards,
G-rem
Old 10-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

G-rem are you the Marty that worked at Al's hobby shop in Elmhurst Illinois ?
Old 10-29-2018, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service