Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should 19t and stock drivers be made to move to mod after wining a big event >

Should 19t and stock drivers be made to move to mod after wining a big event

Should 19t and stock drivers be made to move to mod after wining a big event

Old 01-23-2006, 02:08 PM
  #61  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 547
Default

I still don't understand why people are supposed to 'move up'

They are two different classes.

Why should stock only be 'amateur' and mod only 'sponsored'

Just because it used to be that way 'in the good old days', why should it be now?

In regards to better batteries, the truth is that you can buy batteries in your LHS that are hardly any different than what the better drivers can get. Their 'speed' isn't because of special batteries anymore, it is instead how much corner speed they can carry, etc.
barrys is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 02:28 PM
  #62  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 690
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by barrys
I still don't understand why people are supposed to 'move up'

They are two different classes.

Why should stock only be 'amateur' and mod only 'sponsored'

Just because it used to be that way 'in the good old days', why should it be now?

In regards to better batteries, the truth is that you can buy batteries in your LHS that are hardly any different than what the better drivers can get. Their 'speed' isn't because of special batteries anymore, it is instead how much corner speed they can carry, etc.
In some cases Id say your right. But I have to argue because of one specific incident. I went to my first big race about a year ago. Bought a brand you stock motor, had just bought a TC4, etc. The sponsored guys that dominated that day were pulling my car by at least 15+ feet on the straights. Now im sure I could have built my motor and made it a little faster, but what they were doing was un-believable. And it was only those in teh A that were sponsored and had amazing motor all over the track.
runnin rc10 is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 02:34 PM
  #63  
Tech Addict
 
sesimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 527
Default

I'll probably be beaten with stones but this is my .02 that I contributed to another discussion just like this. OK, so basically everyone is saying that for instance with the Chili Bowl Nationals they shouldn't allow Tony Stewart to run in it even though there are less experienced drivers and no name drivers that can beat him and that have beat him. This is crazy, its up to a driver to raise to the level of their competitors. Why should the competition have to lower down to the level of the less experienced. Thats the whole reason for having qualification and different mains, to separate the difference in skill level among the drivers. If factory drivers want to run in stock, then so be it. The rest of the people will have to step up their own game in order to compete with them. If it weren't for that competition we all might as well be backyard beating and just driving by ourselves on the track. It is a simple fact of life, "you must learn to lose, because you don't always win". And just so that everyone knows, it isn't always about the money that is spent on the best equipment. When it really comes down to it, it is all about the driving and setup of the car. Most of those factory drivers could take someone elses car out there without swapping out equipment and still lay the smack down on us average drivers.
sesimon is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 02:52 PM
  #64  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by runnin rc10
In some cases Id say your right. But I have to argue because of one specific incident. I went to my first big race about a year ago. Bought a brand you stock motor, had just bought a TC4, etc. The sponsored guys that dominated that day were pulling my car by at least 15+ feet on the straights. Now im sure I could have built my motor and made it a little faster, but what they were doing was un-believable. And it was only those in teh A that were sponsored and had amazing motor all over the track.
Statements like this are the ones that always get me the most. Yes they were way faster at the end of the straight. Did you ever really watch to see if it was motor, or their line, or the fact that their car wasn't scrubbing a ton of speed off entering the straight? For years in our area there have been Individuals who will stand next to the track and complain about how Driver X has way more power or way better batteries, but if you really knew Driver X, you'd know that his stuff is better than average, but that anybody could buy stuff just as good in the hobbystore.

Then you watch the complainers, and they're 3 ft. wide in every corner, their shocks have no oil in them, their running the wrong springs and the wrong tires, but it's all the battery and motor Driver X has that keeps him out front.
CypressMidWest is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 02:55 PM
  #65  
Tech Elite
 
howard hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: some damned place called Iowa
Posts: 4,245
Default

Ever wonder if the guys at the back of the starting grid at lets say a NASCAR race. Ever bitch about the top 10 drivers ?????



Just something to ponder
howard hudson is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 03:11 PM
  #66  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,021
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Face the facts, modified racing IS harder. Stock is easier. I remember one fully sponsored factory driver saying after he moved up he worked harder than he ever had before to be competitive in mod.

19t is a great intermediate class. These days you don't have to move straight to mod. People left to there own devices will take the easy road, epecially if they are encouraged to do so...

A few years ago, you had to race modified to get factory chassis rides, big time motor/battery deals. Now they want to keep you in stock?!? I guess I'm old school, but if you win multiple championships in stock, I think you have the talent to move up.
robk is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 04:26 PM
  #67  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Omaha
Posts: 76
Default Move Up???

Stock motors are usually hand-outs at the "Big Races" and I've seen battery vendors selling some killer packs at these events ( the same packs the sponcered racers were getting), so, so much for that argument. What I did see was that the name racers had the same cars as we did, BUT, their cars were set-up to the gnat's butt and these guys can wheel a car. I still believe that the highest skilled drivers with the best prepaired cars WILL be at the top.
lumberjak is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 04:43 PM
  #68  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (41)
 
Turbo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 4,878
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by howard hudson
Ever wonder if the guys at the back of the starting grid at lets say a NASCAR race. Ever bitch about the top 10 drivers ?????



Just something to ponder

Hell yes they do...NASCAR has developed bitching to a high art.
Turbo Joe is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 04:47 PM
  #69  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,921
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default moving up....

so the original member who started the thread wants someone who has won a "stock national championship" to move up the following year.

so lets put it in basketball terms.....

high school, NCAA, NDBL, NBA. i guess shaq and kobe would dominate in h.s. basketball if they never moved up....

BUT with basketball.. there's a timeline. you attend h.s., then college.. then the NBA. (or like kobe, lebron and garnett, jump straight from h.s. to the NBA) my question is.... how do you establish that time line for RC racers?
Hebiki is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 04:52 PM
  #70  
Tech Master
 
smyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Broad Brook,CT
Posts: 1,182
Default

tim potter i am not taking offence to anything anyone is saying and i thank you for you kind word. but i am not one of the "factory stock " drivers that get everything for free and can go to all the races they want to go to for free so the three races i can go to a year i want to be noticed in. our local track is not exactly a mod freindly track (sure dumas started here but he has natural talent and can drive anything).


bigragu look at the list for stock sedan for the birds again before you want to give out credit
smyka is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 04:56 PM
  #71  
Tech Elite
 
howard hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: some damned place called Iowa
Posts: 4,245
Default

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Hell yes they do...NASCAR has developed bitching to a high art.
Joe How come I dont find it AMAZING that you replyed to this post
howard hudson is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 05:04 PM
  #72  
wyd
Tech Legend
iTrader: (51)
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,220
Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hebiki
so the original member who started the thread wants someone who has won a "stock national championship" to move up the following year.

so lets put it in basketball terms.....

high school, NCAA, NDBL, NBA. i guess shaq and kobe would dominate in h.s. basketball if they never moved up....

BUT with basketball.. there's a timeline. you attend h.s., then college.. then the NBA. (or like kobe, lebron and garnett, jump straight from h.s. to the NBA) my question is.... how do you establish that time line for RC racers?
I don't know if you can establish a time line. I guess it is up to each racer to decide what they are going to do. It is something that more than likely won't be solved anytime soon. Since companies are willing to give full rides to guys running stock what is the incentive for them to move up? I guess for many would be to want a tougher challenge.
wyd is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 05:06 PM
  #73  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
bigragu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: BROOKLYN
Posts: 323
Default

look im not bashing anyone.........i know that most guys yes get there motors and batteries and parts for free and i also know that most of the guys who are domnating there respective stock classes have full time jobs and dont get paid to travel or hotels......

what im saying is that there should be a class in which non-sponcered drivers can compete in........without getting fustrated about all the sponsered drivers loading up in a (supposed) novice class....
bigragu is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 05:07 PM
  #74  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
xrayaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,174
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default

they should pick when to move up. if they like just to dominate then stay in that class. if they like a challenge than move up!
xrayaustin is offline  
Old 01-23-2006, 05:10 PM
  #75  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (41)
 
Turbo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 4,878
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by howard hudson
Joe How come I dont find it AMAZING that you replyed to this post
I wouldn't know...it's just an interesting question. Pretty funny you thought there was no whining in NASCAR, though...LOL...rather flies in the face of reality.
Turbo Joe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.