R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #31
Tech Adept

Default Forced to move up?

In a word, NO. Not on the national level, it keeps the bar set high and gives the race prestiege that it needs to be importent. On the local level, it's another story, the pro/am rating has merit. Personally, I've been racing the local sportsman touring class (novice) for five years and have yet to win, it's not the equipment, it's the skill. I would not accept an adminasrated win I want to earn it by outracing the compition. But just my opionion.
lumberjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #32
Tech Regular

I still have my personal opinion about a stock national champion in any forms of RC. To me the NATIONAL CHAMP should be the best of the best in that class, not the best of that style of motor in that class. Otherwise, why isn't there a IFMAR STOCK WORLD CHAMPION for each class?
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #33
Tech Apprentice

How bout making a few people move DOWN.
Sampson Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #34
Tech Regular

I don't think they should have to move up but I would like to see ROAR implement an amateur/pro class based system. After 3 or more top finishes in the Amateur ranks they should be forced to move up. Also amateurs shouldn't be allowed to have more than 25% sponsorhip. Implementation would consist of each ROAR member being given a member ID that ROAR tracks.

now thats what im talking about
bigragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyka
why should people get forced to move up alot of people that win "big" races still pay for almost everything out of pocket.
so mark what do u pay for batteries(not) motors(not) parts(not) tires(not)
car kit(not)electronics(not)hmmmmm thats almost everything
Old 01-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted B.
Are you suggesting a Factory Stock class at big races?
thats what i was thinking
Old 01-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If the race directors named Stock - Amatuer Class, 19 turn - Intermediate Class , Mod -expert. I wonder how many manufacturers would still send sponsored drivers for the Amatuer and intermediate class. The problem is that people are buying in to this stock and 19 turn just as hard to win or has as much prestige as Mod Class.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #38
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyka
why should people get forced to move up alot of people that win "big" races still pay for almost everything out of pocket.

What about the racers who are sent to races to win "Stock"?
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #39
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Mark A.

I have to say that moving to modified after winning large stock race is a difficult discision. I had to make that decision after winning two 12th scale triple crown championships, Touring car triple crown championship and 2 stock national championships. It is hard to leave the ground you have dominated on for so long if you in that position. Sponsorhips have really changed in the last few years. Companies now are sponsoring more and more stock guys to go win races cause they see a market there. It really comes down to what kind of help you going to have. So my opinion is that after win a large event in stock or 19t and you are approached by a company to be sponsored you should probably take the initative and move up to modified. If you not going to have much help even though you have won a stock race I would not recommend moving up. To run modfied on a level to be competitive you must have some kind of motor and battery sponsor at the minimum, plus if you have a car sponsorship that would be a plus then you have team memebers to work with on car setup and so on. I have to say there on some stock guys still running that probabaly should have moved up by now but that is there decision. Till sanctioning bodies or large race event directors put some kind of rule in place this is a question that will always be asked.

Mark Adams
Mark A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #40
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

I think Hara and Surikarn are still racing in stock (23T) class in Asia!
WHY!
AlanLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #41
Tech Addict

I agree that no one should be forced to move up to another class because they are fast. This is a hobby and one should tell anyone how to spend their money or their time.
Stock is a great class because of the relative equality in horsepower. It makes you have to work on car setup, attention to detail and drivers skill to separate the good from the great drivers. You shoulded be penalized for the amount of time and effort you put into your hobby.
Modified is a ball to run because of the acceleration and sheer speed involved in this class. Modified requires a different car setup, attention to detail and plenty of skill but this class also involves more money. You need multiple winds, armatures or motors, to be competitive on different track layouts. Whether to require top speed, torque or a bit of both. Not to mention batteries to get the most out of thse motors.
Stock has always been a more affordable form of racing for me and very competitive.

If you want keep the cherry pickers out of the stock class just call it the "Sportsman" class. Calling it sportsman and spelling out in the registration for the race that this is for novices or unsponsered drivers only will keep most of the ringers out of the class. You will never be able to keep them all out but this is probably your best bet.

Frankly, at a big race I'd like to see everybody run stock and modified just to see how you can do with the big boys. You'll never get faster whoopin' up on a bunch of newbies and novices.

Just my long winded two cents worth.
RacinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #42
drx
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to drx

One thing that's being overlooked is the question of numbers.

Where I race (Denver), There are only a handfull of people who can race mods, be it for reasons of skill or cost. The determining factor though, is numbers . these guys want to race, and that doesn't include a field of 4-5 people week after week. So to get some competition and bigger fields they run in stock.

There's a benefit in this. with the mod guys running stock, we can sometimes make a full C-Main. By the end of the day it pretty much evens things out so I get to race with people of comparable skill. Our RD does, a pretty good job of pre-sorting by skill for qualifying rounds as well. Sometimes you get a hot shoe to run with in qualifying, but that's usually more his problem than for the rest of us. So, natural selection plays a big role in keeping us sorted and classified by skill level whether our class structure (novice, pro, etc) reflects that or not.

If I'm a C-main driver, that's where I should be. As I get better and my lap times drop, I'll naturally get moved up to the B and so on. I firmly believe that I have the potential to run with the A guys every week, but my skills (or bankroll) aren't there just yet. So for now I must be content with the lower rankings.

Final word about numbers. I believe that if there were more people showing up to race the cream of the crop would naturally move out of stock to more competetive classes, because there would be more people to race with there. So rather than mess with a class structure that can't stand further division because of low turnouts, we, as a gorup, should start promoting - really promoting what we do on Sundays. As a racing pastime goes, rc has a great deal going for it - it's relatively cheap (compared to karts, or big cars), it's incredibly challenging and it's a lot of fun. The reason more people don't do it is because they don't know about it. Change that one factor alone and you'll see more people in the pits on race day.
drx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:29 AM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BONZAIII Send a message via Yahoo to BONZAIII

It's all about sales.They want the best drivers to showcase there products and tuning abilities.If everybody that won was forced to move up then those lower classes would not be worthy of watching and supporting.Stock is probably the toughest classs to win especially on a national level due to the closeness of the competition and rules governing the motors.This doesn't mean that 19t or mod is not as tough but with the locked timing in stock things are so close that companies want the best.It makes for some exciting racing.If every winner was to move up then the classes would actually be the same.The same people racing the same people all the time.Which is what it is now.

They aren't going to create new classes for beginners or partially sponsored drivers so these people can look like winners.This is whats wrong with this country now.(My kid sits the bench all the time cause he isn't good enough to help the team win.So let's start a new division so he can play.)If you wait long enough the top drivers will retire and you can move up.It's called competition.Sorry I'm getting off topic.

If you want to be on top go out and practice everyday and race as much as possible.
BONZAIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[.Stock is probably the toughest classs to win especially on a national level due to the closeness of the competition and rules governing the motors.This doesn't mean that 19t or mod is not as tough but with the locked timing in stock things are so close that companies want the best.It makes for some exciting racing.If every winner was to move up then the classes would actually be the same.The same people racing the same people all the time.Which is what it is now.

If you want to be on top go out and practice everyday and race as much as possible.[/QUOTE]

Thats the problem. some of you beleive it is harder to win stock than mod or driving stock is more dificult than mod.

I don't beleive in forcing someone paying his own way to move up since he is probably in stock to save money but if you pay attention to the stock drivers Intro at least 8 out of the 10 A main will have a gazillion sponsors.
I really think if they relabelled stock as an amatuer class. Some ringers would be embarrased to be introduced with sponsorship.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BONZAIII Send a message via Yahoo to BONZAIII

They are both equally hard.All I'm saying is with the closeness the comp is in stock it's actually harder to win especially over the more experienced drivers.But then again this is really my opinion and not yours.With the guys that race in our club I have a better chance of beating them in 19t or mod than i do stock.

Mod is actually harder to drive than stock.

But who am I? Would you pay to watch me win stock?Doubt it.
BONZAIII is offline   Reply With Quote