Wiki Posts
Search

Hudy Lathe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Hudy Lathe Questions

I'm going to get a Hudy lathe, but I haven't quite decided on which one or where I'm going to get it from.

1. I'm leaning toward the Hudy Advanced Comm Lathe with V-blocks, but I wanted to ask here first about the Hudy Tech Comm Lathe. Is there a big difference in cut-quality between the two? Hudy claims that the Tech eliminates vibration, but they also say that the Advanced is already vibration-free. How pronounced is the difference between the two?

2. This is my first lathe, so I'll be starting off with carbide bits. Can anyone give me the specs for the Hudy bits? For instance, I know Integy uses AL4 1/4" C-2 bits. I'm sure the Hudy would be 1/4" C-2 as well, but I wasn't sure about the bit's orientation. I know I could ask Hudy, but since I was already here asking you fine gentlemen questions, I thought I'd take a shot.

3. Where can I get Hudy products? I know Stormer has them, but they're out of stock on the Advanced. RCAmerica/Hudy.net has them in stock, but they're selling them at the "book" price rather than "street".

Thanks in advance,
Jason B
Old 01-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Both lathes will cut great. It really depends on your budget. I own the tech lathe as it offeres greater flexibility in adjustment of the tooling guides and also has a stoping tool so you will not hit the windings.

You can get these lathes from a variety of vendors, www.speedtechrc.com, www.ashfordhobby.com, www.kthobbies.com, www.horshamrcracing.com come to mind but I'm sure they're others.

As for bits - I use carbide as they cut great and are cheap. You can use an 1/4"x1/4" AL4 C2 or 1/4"x1/4" AL4 C6 bits. Easy to order from www.mcmaster.com pg 2366.

John
Old 01-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, John... exactly what I needed! I did notice that the Advanced also has the adjustable back-stop. This is one of the primary reasons I wanted a Hudy... I don't trust my jittery hands to keep the bit off the tabs.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have the advanced lathe and it cuts perfect everytime.
I also added this to it though to help keep the comm perfectly shimmed...
http://www.hudy.net/eshop/products/p...e&kategoria=74
It makes the Advanced truely the best I have ever seen...
I use a Diamond bit that I got off ebay...LOL...I told the guy which lathe I use and that it cuts right to left and the bit has cut flawlessly since...
Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
Old 01-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The $100 Cobra has a backstop. I've used the Hudy Tech lathe and honestly can't see a difference for twice the money over the Cobra.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

I LOVE McMaster... just replenished a supply of SS screws AND bought 3 (THREE) carbide bits for my new Hudy... all for under $20 (which includes S&H).
Old 01-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
I have the advanced lathe and it cuts perfect everytime.
I also added this to it though to help keep the comm perfectly shimmed...
http://www.hudy.net/eshop/products/p...e&kategoria=74
It makes the Advanced truely the best I have ever seen...
I use a Diamond bit that I got off ebay...LOL...I told the guy which lathe I use and that it cuts right to left and the bit has cut flawlessly since...
Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
I have the same set-up and it works great. Adjustable axial support is really nice if you run different types of motors.

I have bearings instead of V-block. It seems that people with V-blocks swear by them, but I have had zero maintenance issues with the Hudy bearing set-up, and it is SMOOTH.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I just picked up a Hudy Advanced Lathe at an awesome price with the diamond bit. I haven't cut with it yet, but I ran up to my LHS with it and had them run it quick... all I have to say is wow!

Question for those with the axial support... is that really necessary if you only run pretty much one kind of motor? just curious!
Old 01-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by XMSRacing
I just picked up a Hudy Advanced Lathe at an awesome price with the diamond bit. I haven't cut with it yet, but I ran up to my LHS with it and had them run it quick... all I have to say is wow!

Question for those with the axial support... is that really necessary if you only run pretty much one kind of motor? just curious!
Nope not a nessesity...but it makes it real nice if someone else needs a cut...
I run 19t and stock and i use the adjustable axial every time I cut....Love it...
-Shookie <><
Old 01-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

What I do is use a spare pinion gear and a few teflon washer on the armature to hold it in place. Works pretty good
Old 01-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Nope not a nessesity...but it makes it real nice if someone else needs a cut...
I run 19t and stock and i use the adjustable axial every time I cut....Love it...
-Shookie <><

The Axial just stops it from going side to side??? <-{==}-> ???
Old 01-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

The Axial just stops it from going side to side??? <-{==}-> ???
WORD...........
It eliminates any possible vibrations...
-Shookie <><
Old 01-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

I guess the fantom stock motors were made for this lathe then! When I mounted it up, it had NO play. Took my time doing it for my first time... my comm looks like glass!! I can't see where this axial support would help me?? I couldn't believe the shaping of the comm with no cutting.. I've never done it myself so I hadn't a clue. I dont think I'll ever run a motor right out of the package again!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
The $100 Cobra has a backstop. I've used the Hudy Tech lathe and honestly can't see a difference for twice the money over the Cobra.
I've used both as well, but the fact that the Hudy blocks are keyed to the tool block to ensure straight cuts is what makes this better than the Cobra in my opinion. No cut, measure, adjust... just bolt it on and go...
Old 01-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WORD...........
It eliminates any possible vibrations...
-Shookie <><
Exactly. Easy to use and takes out a lot of guesswork on how many shims to put on each side of the armature when you cut different arms. I just put one on each side to prevent wear on the sides of the stands. Adjust the support with the knob and cut away. Speedy and efficient I say.

Anyways only thing I can say that sucks is that the adjustable fixture is an option to buy. Not sure if hudy sells their lathes with the adjustable fixtures as standards. This means the lathe setup itself can go for 350.00 if you bought it brand new in a store. (hudy lathe, hudy diamond bit, hudy adjustable fixture)
Attached Thumbnails Hudy Lathe Questions-dsc07782.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.