TIRES - Asphalt TC (17.5 & Mod) tires

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By glennhl

TIRES - Asphalt TC (17.5 & Mod) tires

Old 04-05-2017, 02:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default TIRES - Asphalt TC (17.5 & Mod) tires

Okay, here's a subject that I know never comes up, what tire would you pick if given the choice for a spec rubber tire for touring cars, both 17.5 and Mod, for use on asphalt? What we are after is looking for any experience racers have had of recent with tires that are readily available these days. Our club has relatively new, one year old asphalt, unsealed, smooth and located in the Pacific Northwest. https://seattlercracers.com/seatac-rc-raceway/ We usually spray soda for track prep.

We would like to pick a decent wearing, that still performs well tire, or maybe choice of two tire ranges, since mornings can be cold, spec tire for 17.5 and Mod. I would say that even when it does get warm, its not usually too hot at many of our races. We have thought about what is used in areas in England, similar climate, so maybe whatever tyres BRCA clubs often choose, Sorex 32's being the spec tyre for the last several years. So even feedback about wear and other factors to consider would be welcomed. Different track prep, no track prep other than blowing off dust and pollen?, tire warmers, sauce, etc.

It would be easy to say they should last and run the same for 20 cycles, work under all temperatures, give us 1.2g on the skidpad in the cold morning or hot afternoon, have unbreakable rims, run true, cost under $10. a set, etc., but just the best we can get right now would be nice.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. :-)

Last edited by oldrcr; 04-05-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sweep 32's or 36's
Old 04-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldrcr
Okay, here's a subject that I know never comes up, what tire would you pick if given the choice for a spec rubber tire for touring cars, both 17.5 and Mod, for use on asphalt? What we are after is looking for any experience racers have had of recent with tires that are readily available these days. Our club has relatively new, one year old asphalt, unsealed, smooth and located in the Pacific Northwest. https://seattlercracers.com/seatac-rc-raceway/ We usually spray soda for track prep. We would like to pick a decent wearing, that still performs well tire, or maybe choice of two tire ranges, since mornings can be cold, spec tire for 17.5 and Mod. I would say that even when it does get warm, its not usually too hot at many of our races. We have thought about what is used in areas in England, similar climate, so maybe whatever tyres BRCA clubs often choose, Sorex 32's being the spec tyre for the last several years. So even feedback about wear and other factors to consider would be welcomed. Different track prep, tire warmers, sauce, etc.
It would be easy to say they should last and run the same for 20 cycles, work under all temperatures, give us 1.2g on the skidpad in the cold morning or hot afternoon, have unbreakable rims, run true, cost under $10. a set, etc., but just the best we can get right now would be nice.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. :-)
We've had good luck with the Rush 36X on asphalt in Australia as the spec tyre recently. We also have Wurth brake cleaner as the spec cleaner and Volante Purple as the spec additive. I've run them on track temperatures ranging from 20C to 55C (air temp 15C to 30C). They seem to wear better and run more consistently than the Sorex and Volante tyres that were used previously.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Rush 32's or 36's from activrc. Great grip and last a very long time. I have 35 runs on some and they are still working great. I run asphalt and didn't have a traction roll issue until I ran these tires. I have since fixed the traction rolls, but it goes to show you how much grip they have.
Slashripper likes this.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Muchmore V Tires 24-36 and Sorex 28-40 with Revlite wheels and yellow inserts. Both manufacturers use closed sell and are what we use through Virginia for all our asphalt racing.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

rush 36 is our new control tire here in the Philippines
Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Solaris 36J or Rush 36x has been the go to tires here in HK. But if your talking about club race spec tires, depending on which track or event you go, they might spec either Team Powers, GQ or Ride tires for the race.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:21 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

We use Team Powers at our local asphalt track and the tires work very well.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

We have been running Solaris in Florida for years in the State Series races and they have been great so far specially in the hot Florida heat
Old 04-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

long list of fav's listed.

To be honest, I've used Sorex, Muchmore, and Sweep's. I like them all. When I first got into 17.5TC (on asphalt) I used to switch from tire to tire trying to get the best grip possible. I realized over the years that a good setup made more of a difference. That is no tire would compensate for a poor setup. ...Now that my car is dialed in, I feel all tires work very well. I do like Sorex's and tend to go w/ those most. BUT I can't really say there is any tire to avoid of those that people are listing.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Sorex 32RY
Prebuilt with yellow insert.

You haven't said what you definition of 'cold' is in the mornings.

One year old asphalt should still have a lot of natural grip
Old 04-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Sorex 32RY
Prebuilt with yellow insert.

You haven't said what you definition of 'cold' is in the mornings.

One year old asphalt should still have a lot of natural grip
Yes, the grip was quite good last season. We use soda to keep the dust down, mostly, as there is an offload track and BMX track on either side of the on-road track. With the soda, its not usually an issue, however.

Enclosed are a number of pictures showing general historical weather from last year. Our first race this season is April 29, so I grabbed its historical data as well as May 29, June 29, July 29, and August 29, which is the length of our outdoor season.

if you want a sample from the middle of our season for all hours of the day, you can go here then scroll to the bottom :

https://www.wunderground.com/history...ic=&reqdb.wmo=

Thanks for the input, btw !!!

Jake
Attached Thumbnails TIRES - Asphalt TC (17.5 & Mod) tires-screen-shot-2017-04-07-2.35.30-pm.jpg   TIRES - Asphalt TC (17.5 & Mod) tires-screen-shot-2017-04-07-2.35.44-pm.jpg   TIRES - Asphalt TC (17.5 & Mod) tires-screen-shot-2017-04-07-2.35.58-pm.jpg   TIRES - Asphalt TC (17.5 & Mod) tires-screen-shot-2017-04-07-2.36.09-pm.jpg   TIRES - Asphalt TC (17.5 & Mod) tires-screen-shot-2017-04-07-2.36.23-pm.jpg