R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default will 19 turns replace 27 turns stock motors what do you think

hallo everybody.

just a few weeks ago i was training with a guy and he had a motor that ran very nice. it was fast en quick it just seemed to run mutch better than my team brood monter blue printed. then he suddently tells me that its a 19 turns. it just seemed to run very smith and had a very nice combination of speed and torque.

then i went to se the DHI cup and they have replaced the stock class with a 19 turns class. and i must say that again it fellt like thay where mutch better than stock motors. sometimes when we are driving on a midium size ore a big indoor track i think i could really need some more rpm and torque because in the long run the winner on thoose tracks are the guy with the best motors and batteryes. i think it would be mutch better to replace the stock motor with the 19 turns.

what do you guys think

Rasmus
Rasmus TbEvo IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to NoahTheBoa

I think stock will stick around because its a competitive class, but 19T might just become more popular.
NoahTheBoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

27t or 19t, doesn't matter. The guy with the best motors and batteries will still have the edge in the race. You aren't leveling the motor field by going with faster motors for everyone.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Tech Regular

i think that you actually do make it more even because in the medium ore big tracks the guys with the greatest motors and batteryes really has it more easyer but with faster motors that has a dicent speed it will be the one who is best in breaking and taking coners and that is the way i think it should be
Rasmus TbEvo IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It is always the combination of both. You need to have a good batteries and motor to be competitive it's just the way it is. You can't win a race with a good motor using a crappy batteries and vice versa. You have to have both.
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus TbEvo IV
i think that you actually do make it more even because in the medium ore big tracks the guys with the greatest motors and batteryes really has it more easyer but with faster motors that has a dicent speed it will be the one who is best in breaking and taking coners and that is the way i think it should be
Take two people with the same breaking and corner skills. Then give one the best batteries and motories, instant advantage. That will always be the case, no matter what class. It's a fact of racing.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Take two people with the same breaking and corner skills. Then give one the best batteries and motories, instant advantage. That will always be the case, no matter what class. It's a fact of racing.
I heard you brother!!!! And thats the fact.........
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Hi Anthony,

Sure you're right, but as you move up into faster classes, the cars get harder to drive, setup flaws become more apparent, the challenge transitions from how much power you have, towards how well can you use the power you've got.

In that sense, the faster the class, the more important the driving and setup skills become. Consider this - in 540 at our club there are plenty of guys who can simply run the whole course at full throttle. So at their level it is TOTALLY batts and motor. I bet if they moved to 19T or even Stock, then their results would change.

Personally I race Stocks quite often and I think they suck. They run hot as hell, they're fussy about gearing, and they require constant love and attention in order to give their best. Give me a 19T any day - their cooler, they run better between cuts and they tolerate a tooth either way without self immolating. The only reason I race stock is because at our club its where the action is.

MIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L
MadMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sure hope so. But im sure someone will bring up the price because they have bearings.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I want to run 19 turn at our track so bad. When we did it in 4wd it became a all out mod class... I personaly hate stock motors and how cheep they are built and love to run a bearing motor in offroad its actually better cause of no drag stops wheel spin . But i guess time will tell I hear some tracks its taking off.
deedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Stock is still plenty fast! However there's always gonna be some guys who are fast not just because they have the power but because they can handle it! Unless your track is basically an oval or a half oval, driver input is will alway be a play a big part on speed.

19T is just a mild way of upgrading everyone to mod without the stress on the batteries and tires that regular mod does. Now everyone got faster. The guy with the better batteries now has to struggle to keep his car controlled to stay on the track. The guy with the lesser batteries now doesn't have to struggle so much to make more power but can concentrate on driving smoother to make more consistent lap times. So overall an emphasis on better set-ups and better driving.

How about this for a suggestion. Brushless stock. Hence, no tampering of the motor so NO CHEATING plus no costs attributed to brush or comm wear. I look forward to the day this happens along with Li-Po cells for 10min mains. WOW!
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #12
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I m actually considering running bearings during normal club meets to save the bushings for sanctioned meets. I do have all the motor tuning devices such as lathe and zapper so I only need to buy armatures and bushings.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I be all for a brushless 27 turn only motor you cant touch ...But we all know it will be a setting with is total bs.
deedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #14
Tech Regular

motors and batteries do make a differance but you still have to drive the car and not hit the boards 19t is fun but so is stock there is a place for both classes look at the birds there running expert 19t
bigragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Here in Toronto, we've pretty well eliminated the stock class altogether. The only chance people have to race slower motors is in the TCS. Our weekly point series and most major races (like the upcoming Magma race) are all 19T for 1/12, and 19T and Mod for Touring.

Sure, it's harder to learn starting off with a faster motor, but we also have a 16-and-under silver can/tub chassis class, as well as Mini. Plus, some people do rather well with stock motors in the 19T class, it's all down to driving.