R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Best Car for 17.5 TC Class (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/982643-best-car-17-5-tc-class.html)

eR1c 03-25-2017 09:12 AM

Best Car for 17.5 TC Class

Hey guys,

I get that this is a loaded question and everyone has different opinions. Yet looking for a new TC for our 17.5 stock TC class. I've been using a 2013 Hobao H4 which has done great and I've managed to do quite well with it over the years. Yet looking for something w/ more support as hardly anyone carries parts for the H4 and looking for something more modern.

Looking at the:
Team Associated TC7.1
Xray T4 2017
Tamiya 419x
Yokomo (not as familiar w/ Yokomo so not sure what the comparable model is).

These are all in about the same price range from about $400 - $600.

I have driven and own cars from these brands (w/ the exception of Yokomo). At my track all the above are represented and people seem to do well with each, no clear winner as I can tell.

I've also asked fellow drivers at my club and there is no clear choice ...everyone has a different opinion.

thoughts?, what do you love/hate about the car you own?

hanulec 03-25-2017 03:50 PM

I'm based
Awesomatix A800X for asphalt or A800XA for carpet

The brand has won nearly every 17.5 race since 2016

If you don't have a local Awesomatix driver.. pick whatever the fast guy at your local track runs

eR1c 03-25-2017 05:33 PM

Thanks Hanulec, yeah I'd love an Awesomatix, ...yet the price is a bit over my budget.

;)

bertrandsv87 03-25-2017 07:50 PM

Tc4 with diggity designs top deck !!!

lpittman 03-26-2017 01:06 AM

Nearly any brand is going to be competitive in the hands of the right driver, therefor I think your best route is going to be to run what some of the other quick guys at your local club are running and/or which ever brand has the best part (and team driver) support in your area.

eR1c 03-26-2017 07:49 AM

thanks guys ...

Yeah, I am in the middle of our A-main group (we usually run both an A and B main). I've been able to do fairly well w/ my 2013 Hobao H4. ...I think any of the 3 brands I am looking at will probably do well. Our top drivers are literally all over the place as is our club. We have many TC4's, TC7.1's and 419x's. As for parts support we don't really have any hobby shops w/in an hour drive. There is one but it sells mostly Traxxas and is for the casual hobbyist. I'll probably just pick the car that I can get the best deal on as there doesn't seem to be anything negative w/ any of them.

30Tooth 03-26-2017 07:57 AM

Indeed, TCO (total cost of ownership) becomes more important than anything these days. good luck and if you need help just ask.

eR1c 03-26-2017 08:29 AM

Thanks!
...leaning towards the TC7.1 + the Tamiya 419x (can get either for $400 shipped).

valk 03-26-2017 11:18 AM

If you can afford to look at the xray, the a800 isnt' too far off and arguably the better deal as you really don't need to buy any tuning bits when you buy an awsomatix.
I love my xray and it has been very easy to drive fast, easy to work on, and doesn't go through parts too often. i've prob spent $100 in replacement parts for it since i got it in march 2016 and it has been a great car.
If i was buying another tc now id prob look at the associated from your list. they have made great progress on their car over the years and apparently the new car has the same plastics as their new line of buggies which is great news.

skater-deez1 03-26-2017 11:37 AM

My personal strategy has been buy last years car when everyone upgrades and buy like 3 of them. Parts are essential if the track doesn't stock every part for your car. I'll run last years car but I won't miss a heat/race due to missing a part that i needed and didn't have. Funny thing is sometimes you can have 3 for less than the original cost of the car new. Yes there's inherent issues with used cars, but I'll bend a hingepin with my own driving so it's not like i've never replaced one........:D

theproffesor 03-26-2017 12:13 PM

I had a 419x, and just switched to a TC7.1. While the x was a good car, I was immediately faster with the the 7.1. Can't explain why, because the x "felt" good on the track and I thought I had a good set-up. But when I put the 7.1 down, I was able to turn almost 1 second faster laps instantly.

I also thought the plastics on the x developed slop way too easily compared to other kits I've had. The 7.1, at least around here, has more support.

valk 03-26-2017 08:11 PM

the setup on your 419 must have been out to lunch then if you gained a full second per lap switching cars.. I didnt really go any faster going from spec r r2 to xray t4, just a little more consistant as the car wasn't on the edge of drivability all the time. i might have gained .1-.2 off my fast lap but the average laps were closer.
just having the car easier to handle prob allowed more meaningful practice and my skill level improved thus.
I dont think you can make a bad choice in the touring car market today, some have better overal support than others for sure which is good for racers who might not have a concrete understanding of setup *me* but someone who really understands these things can make any of the cars fast for them =)

Juan Aveytia 03-27-2017 05:02 AM

If your trying to stay be n the $400 range. The Top Saber is a great car. I think it retails for $300. With the minor upgrades and springs. You'll be around $400 shipped.

T.O.P

phatboislim 03-27-2017 05:11 AM

i do love my Destiny

iTz Nicholas72 03-27-2017 06:12 AM

My vote is TC7.1. Hard to beat when you factor in the Tower Hobbies coupon codes you can use.

I'm consistently spanking the Awsomatix, Xray, and Serpent guys at my local track.

But like he said. You really can't make a bad choice from the ones you listed. Run what is popular at your track so you don't have to worry about not having the right spare part and setup knowledge is vital.