R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

There is no such thing like the word budget in this kind of hobby. Speed cost money everybody knows that . As long my wife doesn't know how much I'm spending I'm cool. And also I'm fortunate enough to have a good job to support my hobby. This is a big factor to this kind of hobby to any hobby.

What you can really do to keep the cost down is stick with one car and learn how to drive it found that out a hard way. And you also have to decide what class you want to run stock, 19T, ETC.....

You might want to invest on stuff that you really need like:

Motor Lathe
Good Charger/Power supply
Tires
Motors
Batteries

Don't buy anything that you don't really needed like hop-up parts for your cars. Making your car look good will not make faster. Like I said practice, practice and learn how to drive your car.
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Get to know WDK money...Wife Don't Know. It will help you stay more active in the hobby longer

For me.. my wife knows, but she doesn't mind since I guess I don't go overboard. I think I alot about 50-100 per month for the hobby. Of course, some months I dont use it so I roll it over. Some months I only put 40 into the RC fund.

I dont credit card it.. never.

At this rate, I am able to enjoy my hobby w/o breaking my back. =)

Then again.. I really only buy my stuff used/traded around the boards. Only things new I ever bought was my First Tc3 years ago, and batts/motors.
RCMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:01 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18
There is no such thing like the word budget in this kind of hobby. Speed cost money everybody knows that . As long my wife doesn't know how much I'm spending I'm cool. And also I'm fortunate enough to have a good job to support my hobby. This is a big factor to this kind of hobby to any hobby.

What you can really do to keep the cost down is stick with one car and learn how to drive it found that out a hard way. And you also have to decide what class you want to run stock, 19T, ETC.....

You might want to invest on stuff that you really need like:

Motor Lathe
Good Charger/Power supply
Tires
Motors
Batteries

Don't buy anything that you don't really needed like hop-up parts for your cars. Making your car look good will not make faster. Like I said practice, practice and learn how to drive your car.
well i started this hobby six yrs ago when i was spending money left/ rght trying to be with some local guys buy battry packs at 80.00 a pack 2000 cells then 2400 first car was a hpi nitro car the big boy, then was the hpi pro2, getting parts every week, tires, chargers, so i did not hve a problem on budget just had to watch what i needed as time went on, so i get what i need at this point i wrk at pt.job to budget my rc needs
Old 01-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For me my overtime pays for my hobby. However I've been working 2nd shift so my only OT would come on Sat. and Sun. which killed my racing...last year...... Now I'm on 1st and go in 2 hours earily ever morning....

Also you gotta look at those months of the year where you get 5 paydays instead of 4!!!!! gotta love an extra paycheck that doen't really go into bills cause our bills are based on 4 weeks in a month!!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:53 PM   #35
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnaker
hiya "Mistercrash" So does this mean you are budgeting for the upcoming season?

The Mrx3 is stillng good, but I can't say the same for the motor
So I need to budget for a new motor!

Have you heard we are sealing the track so the "tire budget" should be alot less.

Ron
Hi Ron how are you doing?
I'm sorry to hear about the engine, I'm sure it's not my fault I read that you guys were discussing sealing the track. This should be very good for traction and tire wear like you said. I kind of try to keep up with what's going on with your club 'cause I loved it so much.

I left the hobby a little more than a year and a half ago when my son was born. I just didn't have time to do it anymore. I sold everything I had except for my MTX3 and a few tools. A couple months ago, I thought of coming back but then, I learn that I'll be losing my job in a few months. I have this kind of job that pays a lot of money for not doing much and it's like a once in a lifetime opportunity kind of thing. Been doing it for more than ten years so the hobby was no problem, if I wanted something I just went and bought it.
Basically, what I'm facing now is that I'll be earning a third of what I earned before if I'm lucky. Unless I start my own business and it becomes successful but that's another story. So I have to reajust my life according to my new income and this means budgeting, which I never did before really. I guess it's never too late to learn
Old 01-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I lowered my budget from $400 to $275 per month....
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 PM   #37
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I was using the WDK method until my wife abruptly woke me up early one morning by throwing something at my head. Seems she logged into PayPal and the gig was up! Besides my full time job I owned a business (recently sold) and 50% of the money I made from that business went into the hobby.

Now, I get to buy something big once a quarter and my wife gets to go clothes shopping once a quarter. As far as monthly expenses go I race every other weekend and as long as I don't spend over $75 (including $15 entry fee) each race day I get no grief.
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #38
Tech Master

Race fees are the biggest part of my racing budget. I run brushless stuff in TC and a 19t lasts a while in my 12th scale.

Stuff I break, the NTC3 RPM front bumper on my TC4 is the saving grace there. 12th scales don't break often either.

Batteries: I still use the packs I used when I got into racing almost 2 years ago. They're so old I don't have to worry about them falling off anymore
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:15 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NSantana Send a message via MSN to NSantana

hmmm,

When I do my r/c shopping, the wife takes my cash, credit, and check cards and gives me one of hers (one of the lower limit ones too.....) so she knows that no matter what kind of spending frenzy i'm in, i can't go more than a few $k.

....I'll go ahead and do it for ya'.... WHOoooooPSHHHH!
NSantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:52 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercrash
I got to know WDK once... Then I got to know WFOAL... Wife Found Out And Left.
Oh...i have always WYDWWTC.........Wife You Don't Wanna Know What This Costs Ok serious: for those who have a budget for racing they created seperate classes like 19T or other Spec classes. Also the Tamiya races were intend for people on a lower budget. Even in gas I remembered Serpent tried it with the impact but they screwed it by putting quickly after the release of the car with tuningparts.