R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Brushless is the way of the future

Why would you buy anything else?

Just wondering what opinions are on this. I think the brushed motors just cause headaches and more money on maintenance.

Brushless more racing and more fun!!
envirojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Because the only allowed motors in stock class are brushed.

-Frank
FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by envirojay
Why would you buy anything else?

Just wondering what opinions are on this. I think the brushed motors just cause headaches and more money on maintenance.

Brushless more racing and more fun!!
Because I'd rather not run out and buy a new ESC.
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You're a funny guy envirojay

First you start a couple of threads claiming that your new cells blew up your motor, and then refused to accept the numerous reasons people gave you as to why, in reality, it had nothing to do with your cells - so now you start a thread saying that brushed motors cause headaches

Funny stuff..... I hope this thread is as entertaining as your last one
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Tech Master

The main reason I go to the track is to get as much track time as I possibly can. I have the most fun that way and when I'm in the pits waiting for something, usually bad things happen I honestly hate motor work, I personally have no fun working on motors or tweaking on them. I know there are who love to tweak on those things but I'm not willing (sometimes not able) to pop $40 a shot for a tuned motor. I go to the track to race and work on my cars setup. I enjoy doing setup work and prefer to devote my time to thinking about what change I should try next or talking with a pal rather than cutting a motor. I prefer not to have to think about my motor therefore, I love brushless technology...

....except when my ESC fried last week... (well, I did gear it a little high...LOL)

I respect people who like the brushed motors, I hate them but I know people who like to tweak on them and as a result make a few bucks on the side. I enjoy the hooby in my own way and they do too...we both have fun and were both happy (as long as the race director lets me race)
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:54 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Default With the burshless I would never have blown the engine

I recently blew a brushed engine. I thought it was the battery but alot of folks here don't accept that theory lol

In anycase if I had of stuck with my brushless I would never of had any worries.

When are the rest of these race clubs going to embrace this new technology I guess your right though there are a lot of guys who like to play with their motors.

I agree with you though I'd rather race and mess around with the setup. If I wanted to fool with a motor I'd go Nitro.

Let the good times roll lol
Old 01-17-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

You wouldn't have blown your $40 "ENGINE" but you would have smoked your $200 Speedo, With the way you said you had been running the stuff before.

If you want to PLAY with RC cars for hours on in with out a break to let things cool..................

TRY RADIO SHACK!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Default There no blown ESC with the LRP my friend

Its all good..................
Old 01-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Angry Brushless

anybody else having a problem with the bearing in the end bell of the new velocity brushless motors?,have only had my 5.5 since before christmas,has worked perfect,comes in at 140 degrees,cost me a win on sunday now thermals all the time. took the end bell off to check the bearing, notchy and won't spin free.
Michael Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:38 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Who wants to take bets on when we'll see an "Ask Envirojay" thread? :P

Thanks for the news flash dude!
Old 01-18-2006, 03:54 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Default I'm looking around for a good brushless esc and motor

I wish I never sold my brushless motor and esc. At the time it was too fast but now i'm ready for the speed and I've got the batteries for it now too.

When you first start into the RC stuff you don't relize just how much money it will suck out of your wallet.

I just saw these other batteries the lipo ones that are out now and they look pretty sweet. But then you gotta get a special charger for them.

I have to get me some more money somewhere!!
Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

envirojay, AKA the return of the revenge of the trisomic ...
PiPo&Molo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:53 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if brushless motors are "indestructable" like you claim then why did the AE guys lock up so many at the recent Novak race. Oh yeah, they were the LRP ones too
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:28 AM   #14
Tech Elite

I have been racing for many years (27yrs!!) and when I started we only had 540mabuchi motors (yep the one you'll find in most entrylevel kits) and 1/12 pan cars. Throughout the years we have seen different development in the motorworld. One of the first big advantages was the open endbell so you could change the brushes instead of throwing away the motor and replace it. Then the modified motor came and we could disassemble, clean, replace rotors and fine tune the motors. Throughout the years we have seen a major development in better cells and faster motors (and new cars of course). With todays cells we race with motors between 7 &12 turns. To get all the power to the wheels we have to use speedcontrols that can withstand high currents. Now brushless are sold most in a matched combo of speedcontrol and motor. As I said we are racing these days with 7 to 12 turns motors. These motors build to the cells we use today (3700-4300mah) but so are the brushless. advantage of brushless is that they you can program them though the computer (like the Mamba), but so are the VFS serie by KO-propo. Main advantage is that brushless are not wearing out and have the same performance as the first run after 25runs. Brushed motor will wear out and need a fresh comm-cut every 5-10runs (depends on brand) and need replacement parts. But in performance the brushless are equal to 8-19 turn(depends als on type) but if there will be newer cells in the next year the brushless need als to be replaced with newer faster winds to compete the brushed motors and where does it stop if we have reached the 1turn mark in both brushed and brushless motors?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At my local track, 2 of the fastest guys got brushless, 1 guy likes the no work, but hes had kill 2 motors, and 2 speedo's(this the LRP one). The other guy got the Novak 1. The speedo after 10 laps only gave him 1/13 throttle, and then quit a lap later. Then he killed another motor, in 3 races .

I just dont think brushless is the "time to shine"
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote