R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #31
Tech Legend

You don`t have to use um (XXX) , but as Trinity says, they last a lot longer than most other brush`s. Thus my comparision...

How long do you run the motor before you cut & replace brush`s ?
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run the XXX brushes on all my DC Ti motors, cept for the V2

i usally cut every run, and then i get bout 25 to 30 runs.

I spent $12CDN on brushes from a local guy that brings them in!

Im just bout to buy 2 more pairs for my motors, then i wont have to worry till near the end of the year
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #33
Tech Champion

We ran XXX brushes in a few of our chameleons. They do work pretty well, and we were impressed with the wear rates. But they still require regular rebuilds, something you just don't have to worry about with brushless...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

XXX brushes should be mostly for Mod motors. Example: I have a 10t and i time it at 24* and it runs like a fast 8t. If i run quasar brushes for 1 run there TOAST, but if i run the XXX brushes no worries, just com stick them after you cut/run in the motor.

For 19t you should just use F brushes, or what ever you perfer. I dont think you will melt them in 1 run
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Thomas
Which system is currently deemed illegal and is up to speed wth brushed motors? And what part of it makes it illegal?
Lehner and Hacker make excellent systems, but they're sensorless and therefore not legal under ROAR rules, also many of the Hacker and Lehner motors are wound in a fashion that doesn't fit Roars parameters either. I can tell you that I've seen some of these sytems used in E-Maxxes that would make a Losi LST owner CRY. TONS of top end and Brutal low-end torque.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Lehner and Hacker make excellent systems, but they're sensorless and therefore not legal under ROAR rules, also many of the Hacker and Lehner motors are wound in a fashion that doesn't fit Roars parameters either. I can tell you that I've seen some of these sytems used in E-Maxxes that would make a Losi LST owner CRY. TONS of top end and Brutal low-end torque.
Actually according to this rule:
8.7.5.1 Sensored or sensorless motors are allowed.

So that throws that assumption out the window. Next is you said the winding fashion, here is the rule regulating that:
8.7.5.3 If the motor is sensored:

Well that one deals if it has a sensor, which those you speak of do not, and there is not a regulation dealing with how a sensorless brushless motor must be wound so technically that is not a reason why they are not legal.

So basically the rules that govern sensorless mtoors for brushless systems are follows:
8.7.5.4 . 05. size dimensions.
8.7.5.5 All motors must have the original manufacturer.s logo or name moulded into the end bell.
8.7.5.6 A minimum of two thousand (2000) brushless motors must be available at the time of approval. A minimum of three hundred (300) brushless motors must have been sold to at least three (3) distributors or hobby shops or OEM.s at the time of submittal.
8.7.5.7 The maximum retail price of a modified brushless motor shall be $129.00

So the only place I can see where they might not fall under these rules is in rule 8.7.5.4 which reguilates the external dimensions and internal dimensions of parts(ie magnat length, stator length, etc.) which is not part of how they are wound. Along with the subsequent ones dealing with quantity, distribution/approval, and prices.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Its funny I was not a big fan of brushless, but its here, and here to stay it seems so sometimes you have to change your view point.

I race oval, at most National events in the past 5 years we only round up about the same 80-95 guys total between spec, stock, 19T and mod, which is sad I think.

They are having a Novak Sponsored Brushless 4300 race over in Illinois next month for Oval. One class - 4300 motor only, either novak esc or the sphere.

They were allowing 100 entires and Needless to say they filled the grid with ease and there is a waiting list in case somebody drops out.
Heck even some retired oval wheels are coming out for this one.

You can't ignore that, makes me wanna buy a system now.

I disagree with Roar allowing the brushless motors to compete with brushed motors at thier carpet nats.
Do like Oval is doing, make it, its own class determined by motor size, either Brushless 4300 or Brushless 5800
erock1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It would be a really compeditive class.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #39
Tech Elite

If the current crop of electric motors don't improve soon, brushless will take over. Lithium batteries will also take over the market.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCapece
If the current crop of electric motors don't improve soon, brushless will take over. Lithium batteries will also take over the market.
the problem is the current crop of brushed motors are very limited by the rules set forth by the sanctioning bodies. If they open up the rules for brushed motors they could be alot better. That would also mean all your current brushed motors are now obsolete. Damned if you do, damned if you don't
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard
the problem is the current crop of brushed motors are very limited by the rules set forth by the sanctioning bodies. If they open up the rules for brushed motors they could be alot better. That would also mean all your current brushed motors are now obsolete. Damned if you do, damned if you don't
So basically, as long as the brushless motor is 540 size, it is an open technology class. Soon enough, we can expect LRP, Tekin, Mamba, and Novak to have flawless brushless setups that can whip up on brushed motors that have to follow the ROAR regulations.

I'd expect ROAR to want to put a hault to Lithium batteries, since many of the sponsors are battery tuners. I might be wrong about that, after ROAR open up the brushless rules, and motor tuners also are big contributers to the races. So either I'm spot on, or out in left field with my idea.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote