R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #16
Tech Legend

If you hate brushless , have fun buying those $12 brush`s every race night ....

SUCKER~S
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not really, i run the silver brushes in my mod motors, and i have only switched 1 pair of them so far this year. I race every friday so that just shows how long they last
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_kipper
At my local track, 2 of the fastest guys got brushless, 1 guy likes the no work, but hes had kill 2 motors, and 2 speedo's(this the LRP one). The other guy got the Novak 1. The speedo after 10 laps only gave him 1/13 throttle, and then quit a lap later. Then he killed another motor, in 3 races .

I just dont think brushless is the "time to shine"
were the 2 guys fast with the brushless or were they fast before going brushless? just curious
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Brushless is less work to maintain, not ZERO WORK to maintain. They are also FAR from indestructible, (Just ask Barry)!! Right now the Brushed motors seem to have a performance advantage over the current crop of LEGAL brushless offerings. There are systems that would be competitive currently, but they have been made illegal by the sanctioning bodies. In the not too distant future the manufacturers will bring brushless tech up to par with the best brushed offerings but that time has not yet arrived.

At any rate, ANYTHING WITH MOVING PARTS, requires maintenance, be it brushed, brushless, or rubberband powered. If you ignore it, sooner or later it dies. I personally would still rather buy a $35 arm, and $6 worth of brushes, than a $200 speedo though.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
There are systems that would be competitive currently, but they have been made illegal by the sanctioning bodies.
Which system is currently deemed illegal and is up to speed wth brushed motors? And what part of it makes it illegal?
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp
were the 2 guys fast with the brushless or were they fast before going brushless? just curious
Faster with the brushed over brushless.

There the 2 fastest drivers in canada
Old 01-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_kipper
Faster with the brushed over brushless.

There the 2 fastest drivers in canada
Who is that and where do they race?

Will I get to meet them at Fastcats this weekend?
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Wayne Mah, and Craig Miller.

Sorry no fastcats this year

Oh and we race in Edmonton Alberta
Old 01-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Brushless motors are nice I had a Novak 5800 in my TC3 over a year ago and I had an easy 60-70 battery packs through it without a problem. Some of the better brushless stuff might be illegal but if ROAR "relaxed" the rules for 05 sized brushed motors you would not even consider brushless right now. There are many advancements that have been made in DC motor design and have been used in other areas outside of R/C cars. If we were allowed to use this technology to our advantage we would see much more HP, more efficiency, much longer times in between rebuild and less heat during a run.

Consider that I have an 8 year old Cobalt 05 marine motor with samarium cobalt magnets, large size com and 7 pole arm. It is physically a little smaller than a monster stock but is rated for 350 watts!!!

Overall I still like the brushed motors as far as "feel" on the track, but you can learn to race with brushless just the same. I still say let us have the ability to use whatever technology is avail for brushed and brushless and let US the racer decide!!!!
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Jeff, you bring up some interesting points. Makes me wonder why these much more powerful/durable motors are against the rules. Could it be: Cost/Level Playing Field/Ect...?
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #26
Tech Adept

PMFJI but IMO (OK, enough acronyms ) the reason why ROAR is slow to implement Brushless motors is to give time to companies like Reedy, Novak, Trinity time to get product to market. There are quite a few GREAT brushless motors that have been available for quite some time that work great in 1/12th and 1/10th car applications (Lehner is one as an example). I think there will be a market for brushed motors for quite some time (just like NiMH batteries) but for someone like me who has only been racing a few years and is more worried about improving my driving and car setup, I would rather not to have to worry about brushes, springs, comm cutting, etc. I first used brushless motors in 1/18th scales cars, went to 1/12th and then to 1/10th. Each with LiPO batteries. To me, the combo just cant be beat.
Matt
mpetrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
If you hate brushless , have fun buying those $12 brush`s every race night ....

SUCKER~S

Don't listen to this guy. (none of us locals do)

Nobody that I know of pays $12 for a pair of brushes. Well, unless you buy the Reedy 777 brushes for $12 a pair on stormer. The trinity version works great and last along time for around $5 a pair. And, they'll last even longer if you round the edges off, kinda like what they are doing with their new offering (the oval shaped brush; Trinity). Just file a p94 size brush down on the face of it. Or use the stand up version, and do the same a bit. Or, do nothing to them, and they still last along time.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #28
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
Don't listen to this guy. (none of us locals do)

Nobody that I know of pays $12 for a pair of brushes. Well, unless you buy the Reedy 777 brushes for $12 a pair on stormer. The trinity version works great and last along time for around $5 a pair. And, they'll last even longer if you round the edges off, kinda like what they are doing with their new offering (the oval shaped brush; Trinity). Just file a p94 size brush down on the face of it. Or use the stand up version, and do the same a bit. Or, do nothing to them, and they still last along time.

Funny Pits ...
I`v checked the price on a set of Trinity XXX brush`s at our track, TRCR...
$12 is the price....
Look on the Trinity web site , the suggested retail price is actually more ! $13.95.

Maybe you don`t buy your brush`s from your local track ?

Maybe you buy a big -O- bag of brush`s from a motor manufacture ?

I guess you do ..... To get XXX for $5 a set...

still , I still say your spending a whole lot dough every race day...

BDW I respect you & your opinion.......

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 01-19-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

why do you HAVE to have XXX brushes? theres other brushes on the market that last just as long or longer at $3-4 a pair
Old 01-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Give Brushless motors time as its an evolving technology....

My opinion...once the larger brushed motor manufacturers start to introduce brushless systems, brushed motors will become a thing of the past, just like the mabuchi motors.

Problem is the brushed motor manufacturers stand to lose to lose a lot of $$$ if we move completely away from brushed motor....

Although I strongly disagreed to the timing of ROAR's decision to allow brushed & brushless motor to race together at the 2005 ROAR Carpet Nationals, the decision to combine both motors in the modified class is the correct decision.