Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Most Powerful 21.5T, 17.5T, and 13.5T Motors? >

Most Powerful 21.5T, 17.5T, and 13.5T Motors?

Like Tree85Likes

Most Powerful 21.5T, 17.5T, and 13.5T Motors?

Old 06-25-2019, 06:00 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Interesting... on both my T4 ('17 and '19), any motor mounts pretty darn close to that super-thin layer of CWF left where they've milled the chassis... not sure how I could mount anything any lower, really, offset mounting points or not? Can you explain what I'm missing? Thanks!
The diameter of the motor is by about 2 mm smaller compared to conventional motor. Without an offset the motor will appear to be 1 mm above the plate. The holes are offset such that you have motor's downside exactly at the same position as any conventional motor. The upper side of the motor is 2 mm lower and the CG (shaft) is again 1 mm lower.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Default Lowrider

gigaplex likes this.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Considering that chassis manufactures make a big deal out of lowering a piece of carbon fibre by 0.5mm... these SMC motors have a massive influence on the CG of the car in comparison. Besides the now obvious lower mounting, you can see from the pics that the mass of the stator will move inboard. Plus the motor is much lighter so again you gain in all areas chassis performance. I'm putting a SMC Lowrider in my Awesomatix to build the ultimate CG/polar moment car.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Smc lowriders really lower the CG, but will it be legal for long ? It looks like a 380 can with lots of glue around it....
Old 06-25-2019, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

No glue, just superior design.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Smc lowriders really lower the CG, but will it be legal for long ? It looks like a 380 can with lots of glue around it....
I though this as its meant to be 540 can but just a quick look in brca rules did not see can size as a rule
plz post if I missed it in the rule book as aid only a quick look

Old 06-25-2019, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

It is 540, just doesn't have a "can".
Old 06-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Lowrider is ROAR and BRCA approved.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was under the impression that all the motors had to have a 36+mm can or outside dimensions of sorts... Yeah I guess it's ok for racers to run their motors without a can, just as long as it is glued together properly...I put CA on my aluminum motor screws to prevent stator shorts, is that legal or can I legally just glue the can together without any screws at all ??? What about plastic, carbon or tungsten rotor shafts ??? Rotors are the only parts we really need from the motor; all the other parts are 'optional' and subject to removal, right...Would a wireless stator be legal under the current rules ??? I guess it is legal when X company does it, regardless of the written rules....
I know we're still a few decades away from motorless propulsion, but come on guys, this motor should be the next 'catch of the month'.....lol ....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 06-25-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was under the impression that all the motors had to have a 36+mm can or outside dimensions of sorts... Yeah I guess it's ok for racers to run their motors without a can, just as long as it is glued together properly...I put CA on my aluminum motor screws to prevent stator shorts, is that legal or can I legally just glue the can together without any screws at all ??? What about plastic, carbon or tungsten rotor shafts ??? Rotors are the only parts we really need from the motor; all the other parts are 'optional' and subject to removal, right...Would a wireless stator be legal under the current rules ??? I guess it is legal when X company does it, regardless of the written rules....
I know we're still a few decades away from motorless propulsion, but come on guys, this motor should be the next 'catch of the month'.....lol ....
How about you actually read the rules? They're available online.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sbd View Post
The diameter of the motor is by about 2 mm smaller compared to conventional motor. Without an offset the motor will appear to be 1 mm above the plate. The holes are offset such that you have motor's downside exactly at the same position as any conventional motor. The upper side of the motor is 2 mm lower and the CG (shaft) is again 1 mm lower.
Thank you for the clarification. That's bloody trick. Kudos to SMC for that....

... and i'm tempted, I have to say. That LCG stuff will have a LOT more influence than any hypothetical 0.1% extra HP...

thank you
Old 06-27-2019, 02:55 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Thank you for the clarification. That's bloody trick. Kudos to SMC for that....

... and i'm tempted, I have to say. That LCG stuff will have a LOT more influence than any hypothetical 0.1% extra HP...

thank you
I agree with you. I have been using SMC for the last 6 months and I am very happy with it.
As for the CG is even better - the motor is 10-15 g lighter than a conventional motor. So if you don't change anything else on the car but the motor, you will have to balance the chassis. You put the balancing weights as low as possible (on the chassis and under the motor CG). The overall effect will be even lower CG of the overall mass related to the motor than what the offset holes suggest.
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I see a lot of people selling off their R1 21.5T V21 motors. What's the new hot motor currently trending now?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Marcos.J, sbd and gigaplex like this.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeyE View Post
I see a lot of people selling off their R1 21.5T V21 motors. What's the new hot motor currently trending now?
I think they may be selling off their V21's because the BRCA outlawed them and people are thinking that ROAR may follow.