Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Most Powerful 21.5T, 17.5T, and 13.5T Motors? >

Most Powerful 21.5T, 17.5T, and 13.5T Motors?

Like Tree85Likes

Most Powerful 21.5T, 17.5T, and 13.5T Motors?

Old 06-17-2019, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
May I offer a suggestion not only to Bert but to anyone thinking they need the latest and greatest motor.

Work on your bloody driving

When you can run each and every race and get at LEAST 95% consistency, then perhaps look at motors / lightened pinions and whatever to get that last tenth. Until then YOU are your own biggest obstacle, if you spent half the time practicing as you did flooding internet forums with half baked theories you'd be a world champ in no time!

I've started my son with a fixed timing Justock 21.5 motor and he's not getting anything faster until he gets the consistency down.
I'd even say 98% consistency
DavidNERODease and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

May I offer a suggestion not only to Bert but to anyone thinking they need the latest and greatest motor.

Work on your bloody driving

When you can run each and every race and get at LEAST 95% consistency, then perhaps look at motors / lightened pinions and whatever to get that last tenth. Until then YOU are your own biggest obstacle, if you spent half the time practicing as you did flooding internet forums with half baked theories you'd be a world champ in no time!

I've started my son with a fixed timing Justock 21.5 motor and he's not getting anything faster until he gets the consistency down.
That has been raised several times already in this thread.
1/8 IC Fan and Bry195 like this.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
That has been raised several times already in this thread.
Yet still we have the same self proclaimed experts peddling the same dribble. Tungsten rotors, heavier pinions I mean seriously what the f....?

I'm yet to see a national or state title won by someone who wasn't simply the better driver on the day.
Bry195 likes this.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:13 AM
Tech Elite

Yet still we have the same self proclaimed experts peddling the same dribble. Tungsten rotors, heavier pinions I mean seriously what the f....?

I'm yet to see a national or state title won by someone who wasn't simply the better driver on the day.
I don't disagree, but if we can't talk about motors in a thread titled "Most Powerful x Motors" then the thread should just be locked.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yes - except by encouraging people to practice instead of dropping $100+ a few times a year to buy the motor-of-the-month (works with battery, shiny parts, pretty much everything), maybe, just maybe we can help keep the costs down and have less people quitting RC because they are just gutted they "can't keep up with the needed budget to race competitively"...

As said above and in all these threads - unless onecan hit 95%+ consistency during 5mn, one should keep the hard earned money to buy tires, practice sessions, gas (for the full size car) to go racing... Any motor that is less than 1 year old will be plenty enough.

I know for a fact
LzREngineering likes this.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Yes - except by encouraging people to practice instead of dropping $100+ a few times a year to buy the motor-of-the-month (works with battery, shiny parts, pretty much everything), maybe, just maybe we can help keep the costs down and have less people quitting RC because they are just gutted they "can't keep up with the needed budget to race competitively"...

As said above and in all these threads - unless onecan hit 95%+ consistency during 5mn, one should keep the hard earned money to buy tires, practice sessions, gas (for the full size car) to go racing... Any motor that is less than 1 year old will be plenty enough.

I know for a fact
Whilst I enjoy reading this thread and other technical threads, especially ones which are attempting to actually understand what makes motors faster, rather than just saying "brand X is the best! motor of the month!"....

We don't see many threads on how to drive better!
I'm sure there's a lot of racers (me included) who are losing more time through sub-optimal driving tgan through less-than-perfect car setup. Maybe you could start a thread for us?

Bry195 likes this.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LzREngineering View Post
Whilst I enjoy reading this thread and other technical threads, especially ones which are attempting to actually understand what makes motors faster, rather than just saying "brand X is the best! motor of the month!"....

I'm sure there's a lot of racers (me included) who are losing more time through sub-optimal driving tgan through less-than-perfect car setup. Maybe you could start a thread for us?
Driving Techniques and Tips
Marcos.J and LzREngineering like this.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just ask Bert politely for driving lessons.. he's not only a genius with motors, but also a world champion level wheel man. Just ask him, he'll tell you
Old 06-18-2019, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Me saying "I know for a fact" meant I can't drive $h!t and I'm perfectly aware it ain't my 13.5 that's keeping me from being any better....
Old 06-18-2019, 06:57 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Bert's last race consistency:

Q1: -10.44% (How is negative possible?)
Q2: 86.52%
Q3: 84.12%
C-Main: 94.43% (only finished half the race and dead last)

Agreed anyone should not be thinking about motors until they are in the A-main and driving with at least maybe 96 or 97%+ consistency. I can only achieve this in F1 but suck in all other classes (still running older motors in those classes).
Old 06-18-2019, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
I wonder if some smart racers could fill up the center of their steel shafts with tungsten or gold to gain some inertia...
Gold.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Bert's last race consistency:

Q1: -10.44% (How is negative possible?)
Q2: 86.52%
Q3: 84.12%
C-Main: 94.43% (only finished half the race and dead last)

Agreed anyone should not be thinking about motors until they are in the A-main and driving with at least maybe 96 or 97%+ consistency. I can only achieve this in F1 but suck in all other classes (still running older motors in those classes).
That was just from a little keyboard rust, and if you watch the Cmain you will see that I was getting better before my front wheel fell off...I am correct for paying attention to my builds since that's what's causing me not to finish...I have since upgraded the body, and solved all the problems before the track canceled the summer series on me: I guess they were too afraid of my consistency going up...lol...Just remember that you learn more from your failures than you do from your wins !!! I must also say that if you want more wheel time and increased consistency, then go race 10th scale nitro cars !!! No need to worry about rotor inertia there...lol...
I did remember reading somewhere that the motor shafts have very little inertia, so multiplying that by 2.55 to get to the tungsten rotor inertia should not be such a big deal but it will be the max rotor inertia possible....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 06-18-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

maybe he is spouting Bud Bartos custon Pinion with an english coin acting as a flywheel... lol. That was the 80/90's. Sorry.. let him post his speedhive account!

Yes its lame, and we know as stated. His homebrew motor, etc and such. That he thinks Roar will sanction. Either way... consistency is key and practice, theories dont work if you have no base line, and im not talking about one run! Lol... latest and greatest doesnt work if you have no consistency to base your observations on....

I run an old Orca 17.5 in USGT and my son a GM 17.5 in Fwd... they work just fine!!! Im not a thoerist / bench racer, but I race!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
That was just from a little keyboard rust, and if you watch the Cmain you will see that I was getting better before my front wheel fell off...I am correct for paying attention to my builds since that's what's causing me not to finish...I have since upgraded the body, and solved all the problems before the track canceled the summer series on me: I guess they were too afraid of my consistency going up...lol...Just remember that you learn more from your failures than you do from your wins !!! I must also say that if you want more wheel time and increased consistency, then go race 10th scale nitro cars !!! No need to worry about rotor inertia there...lol...
I did remember reading somewhere that the motor shafts have very little inertia, so multiplying that by 2.55 to get to the tungsten rotor inertia should not be such a big deal but it will be the max rotor inertia possible....
May I strongly suggest you talk less and practice more. All this c#ap about motor inertia that you're peddling when you can barely keep the car on the track it seems. Look we have people here in Australia who do the same, make up a racing blog as if people give a damn then document the build of their new car which is taking months and by the time it's finished will be superseded by a newer model anyway, I'd call it a flawed model but that seems to attract sponsorship over here so maybe I'm doing this s#it wrong who knows.....

Lonestar, OVA and DaSilva3525 like this.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

This thread though lol...
1/8 IC Fan and JoshuaRC10 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.