R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Dale, The body looks great!!! Keep up the good work.
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dale come on now we all know that if you followed to the nth degree and had the real name it would be a 1/10th quicker........

For the legal loopholes and hurdles you guys have to work with I think any realism we can keep is great. It really is too bead but from the corporate side I see where they make their money and from the Body company side I think are all glad to see you get as close as you can.

Keep up the good work and nice to see the innovation and great molds coming form Protoform.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #63
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dale
Thanks for the reply, I really do understand the problems you face from the full size manufacturers. There is always ways around the problem of names, I think you have done this quite successfully yourself in the past.
I am also 100% with you on the compromise that is made on the rear end of a 1/12 shell to fit the cars we all have now.
As I said earlier, you have made some great looking 1/12 shells in the past, look like the real thing and handle well.
There must be a way of doing competitive shells that are based on the latest generation of WSC cars, the Zytec, Lola, Courage Etc. all have aero packages that generally give the same characteristics that you need on a 1/12 to make it competitive, low side pods between the wheels, high rear wings, low cockpit areas Scoops above the engine area to fit our dampers.
I just feel that we are poking fun at the rules rather than trying to work with them.
The shell to have in the UK at the moment is a Parma Zytec, it is the most extreme aero body that the BRCA has approved, I would love you to do a competitive shell that has a chance of getting approved. I know you have enough skill and understanding of what is required.
reynard55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #64
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The licensing fees automakers are demanding are so exorbitant that very soon none of the bodies we race will carry the names of real cars.

There is a reason what a lot of Japanese bodies are labled A-Type (Accord) or S-type (Stratus). It's only a matter of time when US body companies HAVE to do this. They will also have to change facias and tail lights so they are not stepping on automakers toes.

When this happens a guess the Brits will have to start racing with no body shells
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:58 PM   #65
Tech Addict

Thumbs up WSC Bodies

reynard55: thanks for your kind comments and the great suggestions. I've actually had a new "undetermined" WSC/LMP style car on my to-do list for quite a while now. It would be designed specifically for the UK market. Your comments have definitely made me think about moving the project to the top of the list. (or at least near the top) I like the MG's and the all new for 2006 Courage LC75 (see link). I guess I need to weigh-in on RaceChat to get some opinions. I really do enjoy the challenge of incorporating some realism into these body styles - in spite of the fact that the average north american 1/12th racer could not care any less.
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/news.html

Thanks again for your input - Dale - PROTOform
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #66
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dale,
Thats great, I will look forward to it!

Last edited by reynard55; 01-31-2006 at 02:35 PM.
reynard55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:40 PM   #67
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp
reynard55: thanks for your kind comments and the great suggestions. I've actually had a new "undetermined" WSC/LMP style car on my to-do list for quite a while now. It would be designed specifically for the UK market. Your comments have definitely made me think about moving the project to the top of the list. (or at least near the top) I like the MG's and the all new for 2006 Courage LC75 (see link). I guess I need to weigh-in on RaceChat to get some opinions. I really do enjoy the challenge of incorporating some realism into these body styles - in spite of the fact that the average north american 1/12th racer could not care any less.

Dale...Alot of folks here in America love the GTP and LMP cars too. If you DO decide to make a modern LMP 1/12th body, be sure to release it here as well!!!

We could always use a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale market.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:00 AM   #68
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to acyrier
Default Simple question....

Why... do 12th scale bodies NOT come with at LEAST window masks? I'm not a very good painter. Pretty much, I just put the window masks in, get rattle-can..spray (1) color..done. Once in a while, 2 colors...but that's if I'm feeling like getting all fancy. :-)

Also, somebody brought up the question about when the 12B will hit the stores. Any info on that?

Thanks,
Aaron.
www.fantomracing.com - www.discountrcstore.com
acyrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:27 AM   #69
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by acyrier
Why... do 12th scale bodies NOT come with at LEAST window masks? I'm not a very good painter. Pretty much, I just put the window masks in, get rattle-can..spray (1) color..done. Once in a while, 2 colors...but that's if I'm feeling like getting all fancy. :-)

Also, somebody brought up the question about when the 12B will hit the stores. Any info on that?

Thanks,
Aaron.
ive noticed that too. all other 1/12th bodies comes with window mask and protoform doesnt .
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:19 AM   #70
Tech Elite

walk it off already. Find some wide masking tape, 2 (3?) strips across the windows and exacto the window lines and peel the excess.

It's really a 2 minute job. Don't make it out to be any harder than it has to. and you can always slap on a realistic looking sticker like the ones that say "champion" (spark plugs and other stuff) or "pennzoil" or whatever catches your eye. they come on sticker sheets such as this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX6908&P=M
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

So your giving these guy's a hard time becuase they are asking for something that has in the past, and should come with the body that they paid for ?. Dale puts the best products to market, I am sure this is some kind of mixup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason

walk it off already. Find some wide masking tape, 2 (3?) strips across the windows and exacto the window lines and peel the excess.

It's really a 2 minute job. Don't make it out to be any harder than it has to. and you can always slap on a realistic looking sticker like the ones that say "champion" (spark plugs and other stuff) or "pennzoil" or whatever catches your eye. they come on sticker sheets such as this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX6908&P=M
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:08 AM   #72
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to acyrier

Yeah, that's all I was saying..not a big deal, and mason, thanks for the tips, but I know how to do simple masking.

I did buy a CRC 12th scale body couple months ago. it had "parma" molded into the windshield. I wasn't happy with it, it "flared out" at the rear wheels so it didn't hold it's shape.

But..it also did NOT come with window masks. the only one I think that did was a yokomo that I had tried last year, but it didn't come with headlight decals.

The other thing that would be cool is some sort of headlight decal..(I forgot to mention that)
and before Mason says something, I have in the past, taken an old decal sheet w/headlights and trimed/make-shifted something to resemble head-lights. :-)

BTW, I do have (2) 12B bodies on order, reguardless if it has window masks/decals, I was more just curious and if it was possible to include in future 12th scale products.
www.fantomracing.com - www.discountrcstore.com
acyrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #73
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter
So your giving these guy's a hard time becuase they are asking for something that has in the past, and should come with the body that they paid for ?. Dale puts the best products to market, I am sure this is some kind of mixup.
I have never had a Speed 12 that came with masks. I think it would be impossible to use a precut mask for the Speed 12's windows. The shape of the window would make it really hard to get a pre cut mask in place nicely.

I don't use the included masks with Parma Speed 8's either for the same reason.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:39 AM   #74
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp

woo... another Mulsannes Corner fan
Hopefully the BRCA are moving towards freeing up the rules on bodyshells, I know our Modified list has been changed for the coming year (No offence Dale, but a field of Dodge 2.0's is a bit boring ).
Hopefully this will filter to other sections over here.

Trust us brits to be picky about realism eh... We want performance, but also realistic looks. Typical

Later
Ed
Old 01-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #75
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

I have used the included masks for the speed series of bodies ( not sure whic body it was). Yeah they did not work that good, but yes precut masks can be made to work. They need to be multiple pieces. Or, a small square of mask material can be included with the bodies, and you can cut your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
I have never had a Speed 12 that came with masks. I think it would be impossible to use a precut mask for the Speed 12's windows. The shape of the window would make it really hard to get a pre cut mask in place nicely.

I don't use the included masks with Parma Speed 8's either for the same reason.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote