Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Getting back into racing, Need a little help... >

Getting back into racing, Need a little help...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into racing, Need a little help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting back into racing, Need a little help...

I've been out of the RC scene for a bit over 2 yrs, and I'm slowly getting back into it. I miss it so much! I'm just trying to figure out what the top rated cars are right now, and if there is anything coming out in the near future so I don't buy an outdated model. I don't want to make this all complicated, cause people will have their opinions, but I'd like to know what people are having good experiences with.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

If Tamiya parts are available at your region ,, go for a TRF 415 .

Its 1 of the best EP-cars.

There are rumers of a new beltet AE, but still the trf 415 is the way to go.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I would look at a Tamiya TA05..I know it's an "entry" level car but it's very fast and their are a lot of hop ups for it, I know a lot of racers who prefer it over their 415's.. I would look at what type of racing you plan on doing..Do you plan on racing carpet or asphalt, Stock or Mod. On road racing has become more type specific than what it was 2 years ago. Carpet..Xray, Corraly seem to be the top 2. Asphalt seems to be Xray, Tamiya, Hot bodies, Corraly, The Xray and Corraly do need application specific chassis's..I do think that Yokomo and AE will have new Belt cars out by the end of the year. The Yokomo will be a mid motor design..look at their new off road 4x4 buggy..
Old 05-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would look at the Corally RDX, the Losi JRX-S, Xray FK-05 and T2. Out of those cars choose what your LHS has parts for.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jeffb
I would look at the Corally RDX, the Losi JRX-S, Xray FK-05 and T2. Out of those cars choose what your LHS has parts for.
The Losi JRX-S is one car i could not recommend..The Team doesn't even use the car you or I can buy, They use the Rear motor or some other one off design, I also hated the way you have to route the wires. I dont know about how they do in your area but in my area they dont do very well. The guys that are fast with them were faster with their last car. The Corally is a great car, Fast, Only problem I ever had with that car was the A arms seemed a bit brittle and a bit on the high priced side for parts, other than that a great car, The T2 another great car..Just own a tweak board, Because if you hit or get hit by anything it does throw the tweak off.. It was never really a problem for me as I always check tweak before every race (I got used to doing that I had a Pro4.. ) Their are so many great cars out their right now anyone of them is capable of winning at any level, I have owned just about every car on the market (even the "rare" ones) What I have found is I run close to the same lap times with every one of them. The biggest difference is the comfort zone.But on carpet (for me) the Corally RDX was about 1 to 2 laps faster than the T2.. I could run a few laps with the T2 at that speed but not 28 of them.. But as jeffb said go for the car that is suported by your LHS.. This also means that their are at least a few guys running the same car so you can get some set up advice on the tracks that you plan on racing.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

corally and xray are the hottest car here in florida...for parts we just orther them online... if parts availablity is wat you want over the quality and performance.then its up to you...over here our lhs mostly has tc4 parts but performance wise we rather risk the hasle of buying xray stuff online..just my opinion
Old 05-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Tech Rookie

I plan on running stock on carpet as I did awhile ago. The x-rays have always been really good. I'm going to look into the corally as well. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 05-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i have had the most enjoyment with the cyclone.the hara and surikarn editions are about the only kits i have seen that come race ready without the need of upgrades.spool,oneway,layshaft oneway,locked layshaft pulley,all sway bars.the list goes on.all the cars mentioned are top notch as well.to be honest with you,there are not really any bad cars out there in this line of racing.high end is high end.they all work well.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Belt Drive
Schumacher Mi2EC
TRF 415MSX
Cyclone
Xray T2
Xray FK05
TA05 (good out of the box but with all the hop up options best to buy one of the cars listed above)

Shaft Cars
EVO V (tamiya)
Pro 4
TC4
Kyosho SD (just released)

All of these cars are top notch tourers and will be competitive on all levels. Pick one that has support in your local area or go down to the track and see what others are running.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Tech Lord

man,now its gonna be tough for him.a list of strong choices.cant go wrong with any of em.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Tech Lord

i actually wanted to try a TA05.i like the drivetrain.nice layout also.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was in the same position you are about 6 months ago. I ended up getting a xray 05 and couldn't be happier. To be honest though, if you get a top level car, it's the driver that makes the difference, xray 05 & 06, 415msx, rdx, cyclone. Get the car you like the best and have LHS support for.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Rookie

the JRXS is still a very good car and it has very strong parts that are hard to break even in a impact. I had the a-arms that came with the car for 8 weeks and had to replace one because one of the screws holes on the a-arm became unthreaded. Also from what I have been hearing the JRX-SRE is coming out soon. Losi also has great support.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by protc3
i actually wanted to try a TA05.i like the drivetrain.nice layout also.
Plan on making a chassis for one.. If you did I would buy one..
Old 05-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Tech Lord

if the market is big enough,i may look into it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.