Search
Like Tree150Likes

The future of stock brushless motors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Slow is based on perspective and the skill set of the racers involved in the class. When you are pushing your limits of patience and concentration, and not able to pay attention to the race around you, you're going too fast. Learning has stopped. Fear of crashing has begun. You're now in a fight for your life instead of having fun. Just as the pinnacle of motor sport, there is only so much talent that can handle the speed of even 17.5 and up at an international skill level. Comparisons of the past and present show that the 21.5 class is faster than the mod class of 20 years ago. Taking that into perspective, where is the new racer supposed to go? Oh yeah, the class that's so freaking fast for his skill set he can't compete, can't learn and is completely overwhelmed by. This has nothing to do with nationality. I'll bet you see it happen in Holland. New guy walks in, pays out big money to race, embarrasses themselves or afraid of the speeds you call slow and never returns. This isn't a complaint about the hobby in general, it's about keeping the new racer and getting more.
+1.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
"Don't race plain and simple" on such controversial rules is just ludicrous in a time where we're already struggling for numbers. This thread (and many like it recently) popped up as a way to discuss improvements to the situation, not drive more racers away.

And as always after 15 pages not a single viable, enforceable option has been brought forward except mine. You are missing the point, the motor can only be claimed at the end of the race (main) so only one motor (the A main winner) can be claimed in a day. As any rule change this would have to be done slowly not suddenly over night. This would actually bring racers to the track, open your mind and think outside the box.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
So if a fast guy (based on talent) shows up with a couple of motors, has all of them claimed, he's disqualified because he refuses to hand over his last motor? He's not likely to come back and race at that track again, or any track using that rule.
It's claimed after the race. If the top driver buys his new motors at the set price (let's say $80) then he looses nothing, and can actually buy a brand new motor. The guy who buys the motor then gets a "fast" motor, and an opportunity to make up another excuse when he loses at the next race. Problem solved! Everybody is happy!
DARKSIDE likes this.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thunderbunny...okay where is that like button
Old 03-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

here is whats important

Who Posted? - R/C Tech Forums

Im gaining
ASM and Fatboys124 like this.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
It's claimed after the race. If the top driver buys his new motors at the set price (let's say $80) then he looses nothing, and can actually buy a brand new motor. The guy who buys the motor then gets a "fast" motor, and an opportunity to make up another excuse when he loses at the next race. Problem solved! Everybody is happy!
After the race meaning... The entire event? Each individual race? There's more than one race per event. Seems pointless to only allow someone to claim a motor after the trophy has already been won.

There have been many posts already justifying the high cost of brushless motors due to their low maintenance, long lifetime compared to the brushed motors of yore. Such a claim rule would just exacerbate the mindset that these motors are a single event consumable amongst the top racers.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

LOL that claim idea...yeah not that Id worry about it since I dont race very often but with that rule in place nationwide, Id quit the hobby and spend the money on my motorcycle. Plain and simple.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

To add to those questions;
Who gets the opertunity to buy it ?
What if more than one person wants it ?
How about just a full tare down of the winning motor ,like it's no longer useable ... But again most of the winners have motors handed to them to run in the Amains . Not to mention a guy could still use his 200 motor to qualify and then put his 80 motor in for the main ...
I want the motor he qualifies with if that's the case . Lol
But you guys , we will never agree on any of these details ... Honnesly I think that we need to take a pole . Only way to find a majority rule ... Maybe someone will pay attention to that .
Old 03-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

1: add min resistance #s to rules for each motor

2: step down to 21.5 and let rules stay as they are

3: handout motor (race promoters choice)

4: roar takes bids on a seasonal motor to be used (all non roar races follows suit at there events )

5: sensorless ESC new roar approved software

6: brushed handouts

7a: 25.5 the new stock
7b: only stock25.5/mod
(Don't fix 1/12tho)

8: motor claim rule ($80 paid to winner for his motor after event is over)

9: we continue to bi+¢π and moan... Lol
Old 03-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've suggested implementing KV limit and gearing limit together before to help alleviate motor of the month issue if a club has that issue before but no one seems to believe it will work. It certainly worked for Tamiya Cup in Japan so I suggest look into it a little more. I know the Tamiya cup in Japan use a spec motor on top of KV limit and gearing limit but it should still help even if it will not completely level the performance.

I know people will say you can have two motor with same KV and performance will be a lot different. That is true I have to agree, you can have a 3000 kv 10.5 motor and a 3000 kv 17.5 motor and the 10.5 will smoke the 17.5 every single time. However this is only true if you free up the gearing. If rule calls for a high gearing value like 6.5 fdr, the advantage will dimmish greatly since the extra torque of a stronger motor becomes too much for the tire to handle and doesn't last enough to make a huge difference anyways since the optimal rpm band will quickly be exceeded anyway. The back emf of the motor will become the dominate drag force of the entire system much much sooner due to motor having to spin so fast under high FDR. This will really close the gap in terms of straightaway speed too.

If the track is small and people complain the 17.5 is too fast, then this solution is even better. The track will just have to do a post tech after the race for the top three finishers to check KV and gearing and it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tobyzhang
I've suggested implementing KV limit and gearing limit together before to help alleviate motor of the month issue if a club has that issue before but no one seems to believe it will work. It certainly worked for Tamiya Cup in Japan so I suggest look into it a little more. I know the Tamiya cup in Japan use a spec motor on top of KV limit and gearing limit but it should still help even if it will not completely level the performance.

I know people will say you can have two motor with same KV and performance will be a lot different. That is true I have to agree, you can have a 3000 kv 10.5 motor and a 3000 kv 17.5 motor and the 10.5 will smoke the 17.5 every single time. However this is only true if you free up the gearing. If rule calls for a high gearing value like 6.5 fdr, the advantage will dimmish greatly since the extra torque of a stronger motor becomes too much for the tire to handle and doesn't last enough to make a huge difference anyways since the optimal rpm band will quickly be exceeded anyway. The back emf of the motor will become the dominate drag force of the entire system much much sooner due to motor having to spin so fast under high FDR. This will really close the gap in terms of straightaway speed too.

If the track is small and people complain the 17.5 is too fast, then this solution is even better. The track will just have to do a post tech after the race for the top three finishers to check KV and gearing and it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
But a 3000kv 17.5 mc2
Vs a 3000kv 17.5 TSR
Will preform way different at ANY FDR ... Which means if it's open motor you must purchase multiple motors now to have on hand to match the specified fdr which just makes things worse
Not to mention tech headache... I set kV with my motorlizer and yours is now reading it 3100 then test it again and it's 3050... Not able to work .
But guess tech could set every individual motors kV . That will not take long to set sensor deviation
Old 03-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

lol
Metalsoft likes this.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
lol
That shouldn't count towards your post count . Lol
Metalsoft likes this.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

but it does...lol
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Really? You think regressing to brushed motors is a viable option because then EVERYONE would, again, have to buy a new motor. Sigh. No thanks. Again, Id quit the hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.