R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree150Likes

Old 03-04-2017, 01:33 AM   #271
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

To be honest, our club has done racing with the Nikko Evolution 1/14 cars for several years. Optional was a set of springs, a faster motor (which everyone was using) and 2 type of tires. it was fun and competive to drive.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:44 AM   #272
Tech Initiate

with this new rules in resistance limit , i think nobody submitted a new motor after 1 september 2017, i have check on :
Spec 13.5 Motors
Lizard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #273
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

New resistance rules should be good enough to slow both the motor of the week, and handout of the weekend trends... None are good for the hobby, specially the handout spec craze that also affect the sale of all other rc related products like motor analyzers, spur/pinion gears, etc..., on top of stopping the knowledge growth of new racers....
Nobody wants to go back to racing Nikkos !!!
It's feeling more and more like some want to lower the Rc racing level down to the North Korean level at all cost...
Roar should start regulating spec class rules at the local level or else racers will need to keep buying a new Spec motor every weekend while track owners and manufacturers strike it rich again... Racers will always be the victims here, until the tracks and manufaturers get sued at the Federal level for continuing to corner the market out of greed at the expense of the people: how many here have their 17.5t investment down the toilet ??? What makes you think the Spec investment won't go down the tubes the same way in a few years or less ???
Brushed motor racing outlasted 17.5... How did that happen ??? I guess 17.5 will outlast Spec racing then if we continue down this road, while more and more racers are calling it quits at the local level.....We need help !!!
Personally , I think it might be best to spec the drivers and stop the pros from racing spec anywhere, so the amateurs don't feel hopeless in their spec/stock classes...

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 10-20-2017 at 08:20 AM.
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #274
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
New resistance rules should be good enough to slow both the motor of the week, and handout of the weekend trends... None are good for the hobby, specially the handout spec craze that also affect the sale of all other rc related products like motor analyzers, spur/pinion gears, etc..., on top of stopping the knowledge growth of new racers....
It's feeling more and more like some want to lower the Rc racing level down to the North Korean level at all cost...
Roar should start regulating spec class rules at the local level or else racers will need to keep buying a new Spec motor every weekend while track owners and manufacturers strike it rich again... Racers will always be the victims here, until the tracks and manufaturers get sued at the Federal level for continuing to corner the market out of greed at the expense of the people: how many here have their 17.5t investment down the toilet ??? What makes you think the Spec investment won't go down the tubes the same way in a few years or less ???
Brushed motor racing outlasted 17.5... How did that happen ??? I guess 17.5 will outlast Spec racing then if we continue down this road, while more and more racers are calling it quits at the local level.....We need help !!!
I think you're missing a few pieces of the puzzle here. I have worked in hobbyshops in the past and also helped with the ordering, so I've seen what the shop owners are paying for the brushless motors. Trust me, they're not striking it rich by any means. At best they will make 10-15% profit. Track/shop owners are the ones who suffer here as well as the racers. And whats worse for the shop owners is they're the middle men and have to deal with the complaining and whining.
If you really want to see something done about the cost of stock racing, then Roar will need to step in and make the motors locked end bell and have a resistance limit. Also, have them set a price cap on what the retail expense would be. When we raced brushed motors this whole debate never seemed to be anywhere, but then those who wanted brushless motors so that "they wouldn't have to work, or i.e. cut coms and brushes" said that brushless is going to save the hobby. Look at it now, it's three to four times higher in cost and and we are having an even worse debate. Personally if I had it my way we would keep the lipo batteries and go back to a brushed motor, but thats just my 2 cents.
Please don't take this as a personal attack or that I'm trying to stir the pot or start a war. I've been doing this as a hobby for over 25 years now and I've seen the trends come and go. I just feel here lately on road racing is going in the wrong direction, and I would hate to see it die on the vine.

Ken
liljohn1064 likes this.
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #275
Suspended

I think roar has the resistance limit rule in place, but the locked endbell part might be for later. Hopefully Roar can force all the manufacturers to produce endbell locker rings for their motors in an effort to convert the current 17.5t motors into legal spec class motors, and stop the endless handout motor purchases for good...The racer won't need to throw none of his old motors away either...
Old 10-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #276
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Quote:
I think roar has the resistance limit rule in place, but the locked endbell part might be for later. Hopefully Roar can force all the manufacturers to produce endbell locker rings for their motors in an effort to convert the current 17.5t motors into legal spec class motors, and stop the endless handout motor purchases for good...The racer won't need to throw none of his old motors away either...
This is a good idea, but the question I have is that the motors we have at this moment offer any advantage/disadvantage then what would be offered with a fixed endbell?
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #277
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
This is a good idea, but the question I have is that the motors we have at this moment offer any advantage/disadvantage then what would be offered with a fixed endbell?
Agreed! Most of the boutique motors are coming with timing slips for optimum timing and are purpose built. You gear to the track and have at it for the most part. If you have a motor that was made within the last year, you should be very close the new ROAR spec. The last major leap in technology was about 18 months ago and within 6 months every mfg. was on the bandwagon. So, no real advantage. Even build cost will be about the same for a fixed endbell.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #278
Suspended

If the manufacturers make the cheap fixed endbells only for their latest(last year or so) motor designs, then I guess everybody will win, but I think that their effort now will be more directed towards trying to get more tracks to accepted their motors instead of their competitors' motors, which is basically back to the ways of old again...
The manufacturers that were never picked to sponsor a race will be forced to sue then, causing another d3.5 type debacle about bad business practices/favortism, etc,etc, until racing stops completely to wait for the Supreme Court decision, and on.....It can be alot messier than that though....
Old 10-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #279
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
To be honest, for me it was the most fun and relaxed time ever. Equal performance and limited options. A good racer does not care how and with what he will race, as long he can race. The whiners that do not want handout motors, not want to use sensorless or go back to brushed are to me the guys with all the tricks

Quote:
Personally , I think it might be best to spec the drivers and stop the pros from racing spec anywhere, so the amateurs don't feel hopeless in their spec/stock classes...
What about sponsoring and technical support? If top level guys do take care of the motors and chassis of a less experienced driver then that driver still make a huge advantage.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #280
Suspended

Yes for sponsoring and technical support, but pros should be racing with pros only, and not amateurs... Sure pros can give advice,etc, but the spec racing has to be amongst amateurs only or else they will just keep whining forever and quit down the road, which nobody wants... That's why there was a dtm class in Europe with no pros running... In the US though there are lots of grown men who think they are pros that keep spending a fortune on the latest and greatest to endup crying when they can't make the Amain...lol...They keep getting the newest cars every year, and I still catch them in my tc4...lol...
PS: I am finally getting ceramic bearings for my tc4 rtr(17.5t). Acer got them on sale, so I had to get them quick...
Old 10-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #281
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Spec the battery (LiFe 2100mAh) and be done with it
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #282
Suspended

With nikkos everything is spec: radio, nicd battery or duracell, tires, etc... It was so simple then....Ahah the good times are gone for good....
Old 10-21-2017, 12:18 AM   #283
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to foampervert
Default Best way to run stock class

Hiya americans,

The best way to control a race for stock class is to have open motors... use whatever motor you want. Any tires you want (or controlled tire)

The race format is 8 mins per heat/main

Only thing that is actually "controlled" is battery specs. The class should use a 2000mah pack. To keep racing cheap.

Racers will have to gear moderately (if using fast motors) to complete 8mins, or more aggressively if they are using higher turn motors.
This way, racers will risk actually DNFing if they drive too fast.

This will also remove all the problems regarding "spec" motors.

Thank you for reading

Enjoy racing loads!

-Alexander
rccartips and Jack Kloeber like this.
foampervert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:55 AM   #284
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by foampervert View Post
Hiya americans,

The best way to control a race for stock class is to have open motors... use whatever motor you want. Any tires you want (or controlled tire)

The race format is 8 mins per heat/main

Only thing that is actually "controlled" is battery specs. The class should use a 2000mah pack. To keep racing cheap.

Racers will have to gear moderately (if using fast motors) to complete 8mins, or more aggressively if they are using higher turn motors.
This way, racers will risk actually DNFing if they drive too fast.

This will also remove all the problems regarding "spec" motors.

Thank you for reading

Enjoy racing loads!

-Alexander
Battery limit I think is better of fixed endbell for stock class, for non stopping the evolution of the motors
Lizard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:56 AM   #285
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foampervert View Post
The best way to control a race for stock class is to have open motors... use whatever motor you want
That's... the complete opposite of controlling a stock class. That's a completely different kind of class.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote