Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Associated Lightweight Diff Assembly TC3 .... >

Associated Lightweight Diff Assembly TC3 ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated Lightweight Diff Assembly TC3 ....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Associated Lightweight Diff Assembly TC3 ....

Anybody use these? I was getting ready to rebuild my diffs., and was curious if anybody had tried them yet.

Greg
Old 11-20-2002, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Oh yeah, works great. They now come in all TC3 models. The out drives seem to wear fairly quickly in mod, but they are very cheap to replace.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, one pair of $5 diff halves lasted all summer for me running 19t. They wear better than the alum ones for sure
Old 11-20-2002, 06:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated. Is the standard diff., actually the 'Lightweight', I am referring to? It is all plastic, afterall. Maybe I have had the Lightweight all along, and didn't even know it. Anyway, I went in again, tightened both diffs down, then backed out the bolts a half a turn - per the manual. I think my rear diff. requires 'new' everything. We ran a little today at lunch. At first, all seemed fine (working with my new KO Propo radio), but then the car seemed to be slipping at take off. A buddy of mine noticed a different sound, and you could see, it was slipping. A whole new assembly costs about $20. I'm thinking, I will redo both front and rears. I do not have any extra diff balls. So; I can only do a partial rebuild.

Greg
Old 11-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Yes, they are very light but do wear extremely quickly. After only racing 2 meetings using an 8 turn there is heaps of slop in the outdrives!!!
Old 11-21-2002, 04:12 AM
dw
Tech Adept

The standard plastic diff is the lightweight diff. Old cars had steel outdrives instead.
It is normal for the adjustment on the diffs to back off when you first use them after rebuilding. It takes a while for the parts to seat. If you readjust your diffs they should be fine unless you have been running them loose for any length of time.

There is a way to reduce the amount the diff backs off.
After you build the diffs you should apply throttle whilst holding one wheel. This will help seat the components. You must then check the diff adjustment again.
The diff may back off when you run it but it won't back off nearly as much.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dw
The standard plastic diff is the lightweight diff. Old cars had steel outdrives instead.
It is normal for the adjustment on the diffs to back off when you first use them after rebuilding. It takes a while for the parts to seat. If you readjust your diffs they should be fine unless you have been running them loose for any length of time.

There is a way to reduce the amount the diff backs off.
After you build the diffs you should apply throttle whilst holding one wheel. This will help seat the components. You must then check the diff adjustment again.
The diff may back off when you run it but it won't back off nearly as much.

Thanks, and good morning! I will check that this morning. After I finished adjusting the rear diff. yesterday, it is kind of tight right now. Where if you turn one of the rear wheels, the other turns the same direction. but if I back out the screw anymore, there seems to be slippage. Maybe the diff balls, and maybe even that gear are worn out. When I rebuilt them recently, I didn't replace the diff. balls, and I know you should. One of the D Rings wasn't seating real well on the outdrive. The outdrive seemed to be rounded, so it wasn't a perfect fit.

Since my TC3 is about 1.5 years old, and I don't think the diffs. have ever been completely replaced, maybe it would be a good idea to just buy new diffs., and replace everything.

Greg

Last edited by GKHTC3; 11-21-2002 at 04:27 AM.