Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CRC slider/pod adjustment method question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default CRC slider/pod adjustment method question

I was trying to adjust the sliders on the rear pod and started getting really frustrated. I was using the depth gauge on my digital calipers and not having very good luck getting them even. To test this I was pushing down on the ball stud on the pod and bottoming it out. It kept lifting one rear wheel up enough to freely turn. So obviously it wasn't set right. Walked away for a while. When I came back, I tried tightening one slider and leaving one loose. I then pushed down on the ball stud. The slider moved and the pod sat nice and flat. I tightened all the screws up while holding the ball stud down. Measured how the sliders compared to each other and there was only .04mm difference. Is this how they are supposed to be set or did I stumble on to something? I sure wish CRC had a tips and tricks page for their products. The only way I can find things out is on RCTech.

Richard
Old 02-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have seen the slider set with two hudy ride height gauges, one under each side.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I use a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum sheet. Loosen the gear mesh and the slider screws, put the aluminum underneath the pod, press down gently on the bulkheads just above the axle, the tighten the slider screws and reset the gear mesh. Of course, this should be done on a flat surface.

Last edited by howardcano; 02-10-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You need this:
http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...prodID=7719458
Old 02-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

I already have that. Does it's job well.

Richard
Old 02-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Slider pod gauge, works awesome!
http://www.genesisrcraceway.com/gauges.html
Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G the Menace
Slider pod gauge, works awesome!
http://www.genesisrcraceway.com/gauges.html
Yeah that^^^^^^^
Old 02-11-2017, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Slider adjustment

First, remove the pinion gear before trying to adjust ride height. If you leave the gears engaged, they inhibit the sliding action of the right side pod plate just enough to interfere with the free sliding motion that is necessary to achieve the most accurate and reliable adjustment. So, before you start, simply remove the pinion gear.
Then fit whatever rear tires that you intend to run and proceed to fully loosen (but don't remove) all 4 slider screws. Next, place a ride height spacer block under the back edge of the pod. The spacer should be about 1/2mm thicker than the desired final ride height that you want to achieve because the pod and the ride height tends to settle slightly when the car's full weight is on the tires. CRC sells an extra wide ride height gauge that is intended for this purpose although I prefer something wider.....such as a pair of gauges, one placed under each side of the pod....or even better, I use a short length of square 4mm brass tube from Dubro that I cut to the full width of the lower pod plate. Anyway, with the slider screws loose and with the wheels fitted, just set the rear of the car on your gauge or spacer block, tap the rear wheels gently to ensure that they fall down and are resting lightly on your setup board, and then lightly tighten all 4 pod screws. Remove your spacer and check to see if you've got the desired rear ride height and that it is exactly equal right and left. Assuming that the ride height is correct (and it should be), then tighten all 4 pod slider screws a bit more, reinstall your pinion (checking the gear mesh since that often changes slightly as a result of moving the axle up or down), and you should be all set. I found that using the 4mm square tube as a setup gauge and ride height spacer consistently gives me 3.5mm of rear ride height, which is what I pretty much always prefer.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by vafactor
First, remove the pinion gear before trying to adjust ride height. If you leave the gears engaged, they inhibit the sliding action of the right side pod plate just enough to interfere with the free sliding motion that is necessary to achieve the most accurate and reliable adjustment. So, before you start, simply remove the pinion gear.
Then fit whatever rear tires that you intend to run and proceed to fully loosen (but don't remove) all 4 slider screws. Next, place a ride height spacer block under the back edge of the pod. The spacer should be about 1/2mm thicker than the desired final ride height that you want to achieve because the pod and the ride height tends to settle slightly when the car's full weight is on the tires. CRC sells an extra wide ride height gauge that is intended for this purpose although I prefer something wider.....such as a pair of gauges, one placed under each side of the pod....or even better, I use a short length of square 4mm brass tube from Dubro that I cut to the full width of the lower pod plate. Anyway, with the slider screws loose and with the wheels fitted, just set the rear of the car on your gauge or spacer block, tap the rear wheels gently to ensure that they fall down and are resting lightly on your setup board, and then lightly tighten all 4 pod screws. Remove your spacer and check to see if you've got the desired rear ride height and that it is exactly equal right and left. Assuming that the ride height is correct (and it should be), then tighten all 4 pod slider screws a bit more, reinstall your pinion (checking the gear mesh since that often changes slightly as a result of moving the axle up or down), and you should be all set. I found that using the 4mm square tube as a setup gauge and ride height spacer consistently gives me 3.5mm of rear ride height, which is what I pretty much always prefer.
I knew you had an idea to offer. What took you so long?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:44 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. I took the sliders off the pod and found one of them was a little tight. Even with the brace completely off it stayed put. Lesson learned, when buying a used vehicle take it completely apart. I think this was causing me problems and I just didn't pick up on it. But now I have a very good understanding of setting the ride height on the pod. I wish we had a thread for tips and tricks for all the CRC cars. I think it would make life easier for new owners.

Richard