Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome! >

Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree261Likes

Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 06:06 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
You are correct sir. I think there people on this forum that have talked about breaking "C" hubs and have shown pictures of stripped spur gears.
The barriers on our outdoor track are two 2x4's stacked up. They don't move and are like sandpaper from hell. When you brush up against them at speed they destroy things. Point is that this exposes weaknesses quickly.

We never broke the C-Hubs, they were just so soft that they allowed the screws to come out of the hub, the dogbones to jam, of for the dogbones to fall out after contact. We all experienced this. See my video in this thread for just how soft they are.

I think that the stripped spur gears came from the fact that after a few weeks of racing, the spur will back off of the pin on the driveshaft and push up on the back of the frame. We fixed this by putting a bearing behind the spur. 75% of us experienced this failure but not all of us had our gears chewed up like in the picture that I posted.

I've been using dry lube on my gears. They are in perfect condition, even better than I thought they'd be at this point.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1510g in VTA fighting trim. I think I can loose a little more weight by trimming the servo mount. Also it still has the stock servo in it.
JC3 likes this.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JC3
I think that the stripped spur gears came from the fact that after a few weeks of racing, the spur will back off of the pin on the driveshaft and push up on the back of the frame. We fixed this by putting a bearing behind the spur. 75% of us experienced this failure but not all of us had our gears chewed up like in the picture that I posted.
Are there pictures of this in this thread?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:55 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC3
The barriers on our outdoor track are two 2x4's stacked up. They don't move and are like sandpaper from hell. When you brush up against them at speed they destroy things. Point is that this exposes weaknesses quickly.

We never broke the C-Hubs, they were just so soft that they allowed the screws to come out of the hub, the dogbones to jam, of for the dogbones to fall out after contact. We all experienced this. See my video in this thread for just how soft they are.

I've been using dry lube on my gears. They are in perfect condition, even better than I thought they'd be at this point.
One of the kids in the junior high school r/c club I work with had the dog bone pop out on his 4-Tec this past racing season season. He had the one with the Mustang body. He didn't find it. It's a common issue with a lot cars when something happens to the "C" hub. One of the classes at the race I was at this weekend was the TT Class. The TT Class, as some of you know, is a class for the Tamiya TT01E's and TT02's. I saw that some of the guys had brightly colored shrink tubing on their dog bones because they can be hard to find, That idea might work for the 4-Tec. I use a little Tamiya anti-wear grease on the spur and pinion. It's tacky. I guess I was lucky yesterday with the contact I made with the concrete retains wall.Your information is good to know.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:13 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
One of the kids in the junior high school r/c club I work with had the dog bone pop out on his 4-Tec this past racing season season. He had the one with the Mustang body. He didn't find it. It's a common issue with a lot cars when something happens to the "C" hub. One of the classes at the race I was at this weekend was the TT Class. The TT Class, as some of you know, is a class for the Tamiya TT01E's and TT02's. I saw that some of the guys had brightly colored shrink tubing on their dog bones because they can be hard to find, That idea might work for the 4-Tec. I use a little Tamiya anti-wear grease on the spur and pinion. It's tacky. I guess I was lucky yesterday with the contact I made with the concrete retains wall.Your information is good to know.
I like the shrink tubing idea. For racing, a set of inexpensive (~$25) aluminum C-Hubs is all it takes to solve the problem. The fix is easy and highly effective. I posted info earlier in the thread. Once installed, you will no longer be chasing dogbones. You may however still experience a dog bone jam and potential drive cup issue.
Billy Kelly likes this.

Last edited by JC3; 09-03-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:18 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kregger
Are there pictures of this in this thread?
Yes, of the chewed up spur but not the bearing. Posts #114, 120, 122 and 191. Symptoms of the spur backing off are, a loss of power, loud noise, and on one occasion a completely locked up drivetrain. Probably easiest to remove the rear section of the car to work on this. I think it's one of the coolest aspects of the 4T's design that you can separate the car into thirds so easily.

Last edited by JC3; 09-04-2018 at 04:02 AM. Reason: added failure info
Old 09-04-2018, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

1510g in VTA fighting trim. I think I can loose a little more weight by trimming the servo mount. Also it still has the stock servo in it.
what gearing and motor u using kregger. Also what upgrades did u do so this way I know what to look for. when the bandit reincarnation comes around lmoa
Old 09-04-2018, 06:14 AM
JC3
Tech Master

I think we are talking different parts.
this is what I'm talking about.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra8379/p668439
I bought an extra ring gear set so I could just swap the two out if I wanted to.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra6879/p158409
Okay, sorry, yeah I was talking about the grease they put on the gears. None of us are running the spool so I've never seen that part. On my TC4 spool, I only used dry lube which worked extremely well.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scionara05
what gearing and motor u using kregger. Also what upgrades did u do so this way I know what to look for. when the bandit reincarnation comes around lmoa
right now it's set at 41/55. I currently have a reedy in it. I may have to change that because of the nub on the front of the can. Not sure if the ratio is good or not but I run 4.02 in my tb04.
The only mod so far is cutting open the year cover and I added a spool.

Last edited by Kregger; 10-08-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

I forgot but what's the internal ratio I have to write it down somewhere so I dont forget it. Trying to remember so many different cars is a lil annoying lol
Old 09-05-2018, 05:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scionara05
I forgot but what's the internal ratio I have to write it down somewhere so I dont forget it. Trying to remember so many different cars is a lil annoying lol

Knew it was here in the thread. Back on page 4. Post #48

If my Math is correct, to get close to 3.6 you would need to be around a 47/60 in 48 pitch or 63/80 in 64p.

If 21/70 results in a 9.49 FDR, then the internal ratio is around 2.85, meaning your pinion:spur ratio needs to be around 1.26.
JC3 likes this.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

Knew it was here in the thread. Back on page 4. Post #48

If my Math is correct, to get close to 3.6 you would need to be around a 47/60 in 48 pitch or 63/80 in 64p.

If 21/70 results in a 9.49 FDR, then the internal ratio is around 2.85, meaning your pinion:spur ratio needs to be around 1.26.
can it fit anything bigger than a 41 kregger. Ganna be ordering a pin and spur but I need a 3.2 ratio that's what I was running in my t4 for vta
Old 09-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

You might be able to but you would have to cut off some of the chassis, see post 249. I haven't gone there yet. A 3.2 would have to be 49/55
Old 09-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

I dont have a problem cutting the chassis on the side to clearance it but not the bottom
Old 09-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Ok just so you guys know the biggest pinion you can put on is a 31 with the stock 70t spur. Only thing is u will need to use hole E on the bottom and F on the top this was tried with the titan 12. I'll try a brushless motor Sunday and report back
JC3 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.