Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome! >

Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome!

Like Tree130Likes

Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome!

Old 12-11-2018, 11:37 AM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The 4-Tec class is one of our bigger classes this winter season. Unfortunately, a slew of our most experienced and fastest club drivers have also decided to race in the class which essentially ruins it for the beginners. I've said this several times before in other threads, experienced drivers will ALWAYS ruin any new class that comes along and there is no such thing as a true beginners class and no such thing as a club that will say no to it's experienced members even to the detriment of the club.
MD and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:47 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
The 4-Tec class is one of our bigger classes this winter season. Unfortunately, a slew of our most experienced and fastest club drivers have also decided to race in the class which essentially ruins it for the beginners. I've said this several times before in other threads, experienced drivers will ALWAYS ruin any new class that comes along and there is no such thing as a true beginners class and no such thing as a club that will say no to it's experienced members even to the detriment of the club.

I have herd at some tracks that divide a class into two classes such as expert and rookie or what ever you want to call it. Of course that depends on the numbers and time. If you do a points system they can be divided into two groups.
JC3 likes this.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
+1 on that brother

Tried to get my daughter to race novice and hearing the track announcer make fun of some long time novice drivers I mean like 40 yrs old and there every week to move up to stock really ruined the experience for me and my kid.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:32 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by QueadlunnRau View Post
+1 on that brother

Tried to get my daughter to race novice and hearing the track announcer make fun of some long time novice drivers I mean like 40 yrs old and there every week to move up to stock really ruined the experience for me and my kid.

It's amazing how veteran drivers often complain about spec classes. You try and get kids involved and then they jump in. There should be two different classes. There are adults who are just getting started and they could race with the younger drivers, but veterans need to run their own spec class.
WASPEEDRACER48 and JC3 like this.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:44 PM
MD
Tech Champion

We continued our 4-Tec Class at the Hadley RC Club races Sunday and I am happy to report that there were no broken parts and only one dog bone popped out.
Billy Kelly and JC3 like this.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:28 AM
MD
Tech Champion

The Hadley RC Club's 4-Tec Class rolled on Sunday. Including a club owned car that other students take turns driving. It has survived very well. The front of the body is beat, but otherwise it's good. We run it in training mode. There were no broken parts, but one of the motors may have died. As you all know, that's the same motor as in the Slash. They hardly ever just quit. We tried something in our race two weeks ago. I got the idea in youtube. I went to the dollar store and bought some action figures that are somewhat posable. They received one before a race and they taped it to the outside of the car. If they did not have to be marshaled they got to keep the figure and they have a driver figure they can mount inside their car. We bought the 4-Tec's without bodies. So, the bodies have clear windows. So far I think our repairs have been dog bones that popped out, one dead servo, one shock spring retainer lost, and one dead motor. In my opinion the 4-Tec 2.0 with different tires is a great car for new drivers and would be a great spec car. Our club has tried TT01's, TT01E's, and TC4's. Many, many years ago we also ran TL01's. They were very good. But, the 4-Tec is the best of the group for our purposes.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD View Post
The Hadley RC Club's 4-Tec Class rolled on Sunday. Including a club owned car that other students take turns driving. It has survived very well. The front of the body is beat, but otherwise it's good. We run it in training mode. There were no broken parts, but one of the motors may have died. As you all know, that's the same motor as in the Slash. They hardly ever just quit. We tried something in our race two weeks ago. I got the idea in youtube. I went to the dollar store and bought some action figures that are somewhat posable. They received one before a race and they taped it to the outside of the car. If they did not have to be marshaled they got to keep the figure and they have a driver figure they can mount inside their car. We bought the 4-Tec's without bodies. So, the bodies have clear windows. So far I think our repairs have been dog bones that popped out, one dead servo, one shock spring retainer lost, and one dead motor. In my opinion the 4-Tec 2.0 with different tires is a great car for new drivers and would be a great spec car. Our club has tried TT01's, TT01E's, and TC4's. Many, many years ago we also ran TL01's. They were very good. But, the 4-Tec is the best of the group for our purposes.
sounds great. Iím going to have to find way to promote and push getting something like this going for us in Orland. We know store is selling them. Just canít get them to come out.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:41 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

sounds great. Iím going to have to find way to promote and push getting something like this going for us in Orland. We know store is selling them. Just canít get them to come out.

I ma guessing that many of the people who purchased the 4-Tecs at Hobbytown have Hobbytown cards. The store may be able to email those buyers if they have that information in their records.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MD View Post
I ma guessing that many of the people who purchased the 4-Tecs at Hobbytown have Hobbytown cards. The store may be able to email those buyers if they have that information in their records.
Like that. Store did sound like they want to help promote this year. I think 3 of us have the 4Tec. Still few months away
Old 02-12-2019, 07:54 AM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Stores need to step up their game when it comes to promoting racing. You guys are doing a great job with your program and, I agree, the 4-Tec is an awesome car for this purpose.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Im thinking of getting a 4tec 2 to run in at a local track in the touring car class. my question is do standard tc wheels fit and what else should be done to this car to make it as competitive as a full blown tc racer. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by twisted View Post
Im thinking of getting a 4tec 2 to run in at a local track in the touring car class. my question is do standard tc wheels fit and what else should be done to this car to make it as competitive as a full blown tc racer. Thanks.
If you remove the ďbrake calipersĒ most wheels will fit. Iíve tired gravity USGT Tires. And their foams. Think I had a set of sweeps on for awhile. Wider wheel hexes wouldnít hurt.

Now getting it to compete with a standard belt driven touring car. Not sure about that. The limited gearing options are a problem. Pretty sure there was one trying it in VTA. But havenít seen anything posted in quite some time
JC3 likes this.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Billy Kelly;15395707

Now getting it to compete with a standard belt driven touring car. Not sure about that. The limited gearing options are a problem. Pretty sure there was one trying it in VTA. But havenít seen anything posted in quite some time
[/QUOTE]

Had the gearing figured out in VTA, I just have no place to run it and get it tuned in. I may throw it into USGT just so I can get the setup correct.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:24 AM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by twisted View Post
Unless you are a top 5% driver (skill level wise) I don't think you could make it work and even then it's unlikely. One of my fellow racers is the fastest guy in our three surrounding clubs. He's also a huge 4-Tec fan. He tried to make the 4-Tec work at the TC/VTA level and just couldn't do it. Point is, it may not be worth your time and effort. These days, there are so many touring car chassis choices for around $100 that are competitive in VTA/TC that it's hard to justify running the 4-Tec. Just my opinion.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If 4tecs are ganna be raced my opinion is to run it against other 4tecs as a slash style class for fun or for new people. I tried to get it to be good on carpet and was getting the car pretty good but my other chassis dedicated to racing were lightyears ahead of it and it showed weakness in it quick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service