Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Yeah Racing shock gear dampers, TRF and CVA, thoughts... >

Yeah Racing shock gear dampers, TRF and CVA, thoughts...

Like Tree1Likes

Yeah Racing shock gear dampers, TRF and CVA, thoughts...

Old 04-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

I use Team Associated front buggy springs on the YR shocks, and they fit nicely.
THEBIGBULL likes this.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

I bought the Yeah Racing shock set and I can't say I'm delighted. They are *usable* BUT

Springs are junk; not straight (not cylindrical), not the same length among one set of the same hardness. I didn't even bother trying them on.

O-rings pinch the shaft even with green slime, and putting them in the bottom cartridge tightens them even a bit more. Useless. I replaced them with muchmore O-rings I had laying around, and I also replaced the plastic shim that presses against the o-ring with a thinner one ( 1,5mm ) to get rid of the compression.

E-clips are WAY too thick to even fit in the groove. They come at 0,4 mm and and have to be sanded down to 0,3mm just so you can install them. I didn't try the pistons that come in the box but for the T.O.P. ones I had laying around ( was short on Tamiyas ), I even had to sand them further down to 0,25mm-ish so the piston was able to rotate (sort of) freely on the shaft without any perceptible up-and-down movement. All this took AGES and you end up messing you fingertips pretty bad from the friction on the sandpaper. I did that last week and my middle finger is still hurting as I type. Seriously.

Threads of the cap / bottom cartridge feel pretty "loose" to me, but that's admittedly unimportant as long as it stays in place.

That being said, the bladders feel nice and soft, and once all the issues above were addressed, they were pretty easy to fill bubble-free. I still have to drill the caps, but after 3 hours on 4 shocks, I just went to bed.

Bottom line, that is a lot of work for shocks on which you have to replace the o-rings right away, the pistons, work around the e-clip issues, and throw away 20 useless springs. Considering you can find Tamiyas for less than 45$ on ebay (IIRC), that's the route I'll go next time.

HTH
Old 04-11-2018, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tygertyger View Post
I bought the Yeah Racing shock set and I can't say I'm delighted. They are *usable* BUT

Springs are junk; not straight (not cylindrical), not the same length among one set of the same hardness. I didn't even bother trying them on.

O-rings pinch the shaft even with green slime, and putting them in the bottom cartridge tightens them even a bit more. Useless. I replaced them with muchmore O-rings I had laying around, and I also replaced the plastic shim that presses against the o-ring with a thinner one ( 1,5mm ) to get rid of the compression.

E-clips are WAY too thick to even fit in the groove. They come at 0,4 mm and and have to be sanded down to 0,3mm just so you can install them. I didn't try the pistons that come in the box but for the T.O.P. ones I had laying around ( was short on Tamiyas ), I even had to sand them further down to 0,25mm-ish so the piston was able to rotate (sort of) freely on the shaft without any perceptible up-and-down movement. All this took AGES and you end up messing you fingertips pretty bad from the friction on the sandpaper. I did that last week and my middle finger is still hurting as I type. Seriously.

Threads of the cap / bottom cartridge feel pretty "loose" to me, but that's admittedly unimportant as long as it stays in place.

That being said, the bladders feel nice and soft, and once all the issues above were addressed, they were pretty easy to fill bubble-free. I still have to drill the caps, but after 3 hours on 4 shocks, I just went to bed.

Bottom line, that is a lot of work for shocks on which you have to replace the o-rings right away, the pistons, work around the e-clip issues, and throw away 20 useless springs. Considering you can find Tamiyas for less than 45$ on ebay (IIRC), that's the route I'll go next time.

HTH
All this complaining that you have done about this product for me is unreal. I have them installed on my VTA car and I have not had any problems with them at all and the car handles great. I am looking at getting another set for my USGT car.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

I used a set of the YR shocks on a TC4 in VTA class (see my write up in the TC4 thread) and they worked extremely well. I did have an issue with the O-ring in the shock lower being too tight and causing the shock shaft to stick/bind but that was easily fixed by replacing with a Tamiya O-ring. The shocks are near perfect now and having sold the TC4 I have my set for sale.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tygertyger View Post

HTH
My experience;

1. Yes, the springs are badly manufactured. They're of different lengths thus requiring the adjustment ring to be at different height position.
2. Pistons need to be reamed.
3. Tolerance sucks. Two work smoothly and another two seems to bind (shaft movement).
4. Right about wrong spec orings.

Go the TRF route, anything else is just a scam.

One thing though, they don't leak like TRF ones
Old 04-11-2018, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

I have 2 sets, the first set was flawless. Spring yes aren't the best, but for a basher like me, they work.

The second set I got had some of the issues mentioned above with the oring binding. Sanding down the spacer helped but just leaving the bottom cap slightly loose worked too. The worst part about them I found was the material that the damper ends were made from a harder plastic which were difficult to thread.thread.

For the price I think they are worth it of you get a good set. But if you get a bad set, then you will have to work hard to get them running smoothly.

YR Shock​​Shock gear we're the only ones I could find that had a longer shock body for a total length of 60mm, which I combined with a longer damper rod for a rally build to get a total length of 72mm. YR is very interchangeable with Tamiya TRF parts. For the tinkering personality, the YR are good. But if you want them jjust to work, pay the premium for the Tamiya TRF.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by massenb203 View Post
All this complaining that you have done about this product for me is unreal. I have them installed on my VTA car and I have not had any problems with them at all and the car handles great. I am looking at getting another set for my USGT car.
Whatever man. In the end it's your money...
Old 04-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I used these for awhile as well, the pink version. They were ok, but nothing and I mean NOTHING compares to TRF shocks for on road.

I was much more consistent on the TRF's.

They are a great upgrade from plastic, but even in RC you get what you pay for. ( BTW they will leak, so don't worry about it )
Old 04-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the input guy's. I ordered the TRF'S........For $20.00 more I know I will be HAPPY HAPPY !!!!!~

Last edited by THEBIGBULL; 04-12-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

For me these dampers are ok, but there are still something I have to point out though.
1. Machining is more than decent, cylinders are smooth and they even included the titanium coated shafts.
2. The plastic supplied in the kit is on the hard and brittle side, be careful when snap them onto the car.
3. The bladders are horrible, looks like they are made of very cheap rubber or silicon, highly recommend to upgrade to the trf bladders or other brands' bladder (3racing's ), the cva's bladder does not work in this damper.
4. Pistons are molded, so extra caution is needed cut them of the trees.
5. Springs are useless in my application, the version I purchased was 55mm but it come with the short springs for 50mm version.

Overall its a very good alternative to the trf dampers, however, the rubber parts really need more attention to them (which is why I believe 3 racing's damper is better than yr's). Consider to get better bladder for them and the dampers should be pretty good on track