Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Driving techniques for faster corner speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Don't keep changing your setup! Once you're close, see if you can't just leave it there and learn the track. I personally havn't changed my setup in over a year. I know exactly what my car will do in any given situation. This is just one less thing I have to worry about while I'm driving.

Just to let you all know, I'm an off road racer. I've never acually raced a TC. But, as an off road racer, I come accross a very wide range of track surfaces and conditions. The ruts, inconsistant surface traction and jumps make for a great learning experience on how to manage your powerband.

I've driven many other peoples cars to help them out and in doing so, I've felt MANY different throttle triggers. Some guys have theirs setup where they pull it half of the distance before the car even moves....some have the expo WAY up. I personally have found that my setup just works best....for me and those who I've shared it with....

I like the "hair trigger" feel. I set the TH trim in such a way that the car is always in a "want to roll" state....if I have the trigger at neutral, the car will occationally "tickticktick" foward, So, I often have to hold the brake just to keep the car from moving. But, even though I'm doing this, i still have no brake dialed into that position. Racing stock truck and buggy, I've never had a time when i felt I needed any brake. Also, take out the expo...linear just feels better...imo.

But having my throttle set this way allows for a MUCH larger throttle pull distance. Exact neutral position to full wide open....is my power band. So, in turn, the car feels MUCH easier to drive and I've got more throttle to work with....making the car ever easier to drive. Who wants to work with a quarter inch of throttle pull.....I'd rather work with the full half inch I'm given.

Many people overlook the importance of a properly setup radio. You may want to do some experimenting with that one of these track days and see what you can find.....they're not called computer radios for nothing...and all those features aren't there for kicks.....USE 'EM!
FRITZDRAGON likes this.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Off-road is basically the same setup everyrace, just tires are used to tune with.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i change my off-road B4 and since last week gained over a second a lap ...last week was still fast (TQ and win) but now its a little bit faster
Old 01-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
Off-road is basically the same setup everyrace, just tires are used to tune with.
ey? setups change throughout the day to suit changing track conditions, which is usually more bumpy at the end!
Old 01-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Yes...setups do change....But tires will make or break your race day! I've just found an amazing setup that's quick yet has lots of traction...but enough give to let me float the car if I have to. It's super aggressive, yet controllable. But whatever the track condition or layout, I've just learned to drive the track.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry guys, I guess I was only describing only the tracks I've raced at (1/8th scale sized and bumpy)