R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-14-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Heat cycles of rubber tires

I have a question about rubber tires for tc and heat cycles. First define a heat cycle. A tire that is taken from ambient temp to race temp then back to ambient temp. That is one heat cycle. While working for a IMSA GTP we found that keeping the tire warmers on after a run and set the temp to keep the tires from returning to ambient temp we would basicly elminate a heat cycle on them. Performance would fall off after each heat cycle. From the tire getting harder. We would keep the temp at or just below minium operating temp for the tire. My qustion are:

1. Is tc's rubber tires effected from heat cycles?

2. Would you think there would be enough benifit to throwing the tires on the tire warmers after each run? Or do you guys just use a new set each time you run. Big difference between $1,500 for a set of Goodyear slicks to a $40 set ofTake Offs

3. I could possible see it working for carpet, since wear is at a minium. Parking lot. Go threw a set or two in a day.

Thanks again, I would like to hear you thoughts
tunnelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to never lift

for carpet i think it would be fine . but a asphalt track i would cycle them because track temps change . as we learned at speedweeks in daytona last year . maybe this year one of my cars will make the show
never lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
Tech Master

aww fond memories of Daytona. Two 24 hour races were enough for me. Running a Busch or cup car or one of the other groups of cars running? Good luck!
Old 01-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Tech Master

Dose anyone work for one of the major tire suppliers that can answere this question?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually, most of us don't see enough difference in grip from one run to another(unless running on an extremely difficult surface) to worry about keeping a set warm(though it is possible for R/C tires to lose grip from heat cycles, it's happened to me in years past). We'll just go ahead & continue using that set for as long as they have good rubber left on them, or until we notice a significant change in our lap times. But as I said, it CAN happen, back when ProLine's tires were the hot thing to run(at one time their S3 compound slicks were the best thing on most paved surfaces when they were fresh), but those tires WOULD become useless in a single day. IF your car was setup properly, then you MIGHT get about 4 decent runs out of those, & then they'd turn to hockey pucks, but if your setup was off even a little, you could also LITERALLY shred them in a SINGLE run(I know because I did it myself, my setup was off on an abrasive parking lot track, & I chewed a complete set down to the inserts in one run, had to buy another set & make some SERIOUS adjustments to get through the rest of the day), so heat cycling has happened, but I can't say I've noticed anything quite like that with TakeOff's current tires, nor those from Sorex, RP, Yokomo, or HPI, so I think they've pretty much got that problem licked, & if I were you I wouldn't worry about trying to keep a set that warm all the time....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 PM   #6
Tech Master

Thanks Grizz. Just trying to think outside the box.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to never lift

all three truck . number 00 busch number 83 ans cup number 00
never lift is offline   Reply With Quote