Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Fenix gear diff issues >

Fenix gear diff issues

Like Tree2Likes

Fenix gear diff issues

Reply

Old 01-28-2017, 06:55 AM
  #16  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Richfield, Ohio
Posts: 47
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by KE4PJO View Post
A little patience and some common sense goes a long way. And you don't have to be a photographer to see that those pictures are useless.
Also how would a picture ever show an out of round shaft in the first place, they were sent more pictures than that but he only chose to use the ones he had me send to his email.
I did indeed send additional video and pictures to the fenix sites email. But he refused to get them sent to over.

Also I posted a very clear video on the fenix face book page, I wish he would have posted that.

I know some of you will hinge over the quality of a picture, I however maintain that better customer service and over all quality are the real issues here.

Also, they just now replied to me on Facebook that the issue is being handled, better late than never.

Last edited by AlBundy; 01-28-2017 at 10:54 AM.
AlBundy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:55 AM
  #17  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
TOM MAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 994
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

.....
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
TOM MAR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:09 PM
  #18  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
xevias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai, PRC
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hi Fenix guys,

This isn't a quality problem, but just wanting to get advice on maintenance.

The gear diff is working great. I did have to put a spacer between the spring and cap. The hex with the set screw would slide all the way to the end (closest to the upright) and allow the wheel hex adapter about 3mm of play. Did anyone else run into this?

The main question is how to keep the oil from leaking when not racing. Or is it expected to have to fill the diff before every race? If so, how do you ensure the diff gets rebuilt the same every time?

I tried 100K, but most of that flung out of the diff after 3 runs. I moved to 500K and have had awesome performance, but it gets real messy filling, running in, then cleaning up the excess.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys might have.
xevias is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:28 PM
  #19  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,009
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Boy I could say something but I won't. Fenix I like the diff and have a second one coming.
BullFrog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:19 AM
  #20  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill Tn
Posts: 875
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by xevias View Post
Hi Fenix guys,

This isn't a quality problem, but just wanting to get advice on maintenance.

The gear diff is working great. I did have to put a spacer between the spring and cap. The hex with the set screw would slide all the way to the end (closest to the upright) and allow the wheel hex adapter about 3mm of play. Did anyone else run into this?

The main question is how to keep the oil from leaking when not racing. Or is it expected to have to fill the diff before every race? If so, how do you ensure the diff gets rebuilt the same every time?

I tried 100K, but most of that flung out of the diff after 3 runs. I moved to 500K and have had awesome performance, but it gets real messy filling, running in, then cleaning up the excess.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys might have.
your not supposed to fill it like a car dif. Just lightly coat the gears. its not a sealed diff. depending on the surface your running on determines the thickness of the lube or grease to use. If your in the US and run on the Black CRC carpet I would recommend to start off with 100K-200k. I'm running a lot heavier than that now but our tracks traction is very high.
freebird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:38 AM
  #21  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Xpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dirt sucks!
Posts: 1,636
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by xevias View Post
Hi Fenix guys,

This isn't a quality problem, but just wanting to get advice on maintenance.

The gear diff is working great. I did have to put a spacer between the spring and cap. The hex with the set screw would slide all the way to the end (closest to the upright) and allow the wheel hex adapter about 3mm of play. Did anyone else run into this?

The main question is how to keep the oil from leaking when not racing. Or is it expected to have to fill the diff before every race? If so, how do you ensure the diff gets rebuilt the same every time?

I tried 100K, but most of that flung out of the diff after 3 runs. I moved to 500K and have had awesome performance, but it gets real messy filling, running in, then cleaning up the excess.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys might have.


Gear diffs that sling silicone everywhere..... that will be easy to get out of carpet.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Xpress is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:46 AM
  #22  
Dan
Tech Elite
iTrader: (53)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,599
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Yeah, lightly coat the gears. If you have to move up in heavier diff oil, then do so to maintain the previously lighter (but totally filled) diff.
Dan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:55 AM
  #23  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Elyria, Oh
Posts: 924
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I have been running spray graphite with very good results. Also tried Lucas Oil Red and Tacky which also worked well.

chuck
mackin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:58 PM
  #24  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
xevias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai, PRC
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I'm testing new tires that have a lot of rear traction on carpet, so I've already done everything I can to get the car to rotate. Loading the gear diff with 500K got the back end to slide just the right amount.

I'm either going to half fill the diff with 500K and store the diff upright between races or lightly coat the gears with Gravity 2 Million. Seems ridiculous, but with these tires, it's only .2 slower with a 25.5 than the track hot shot with a 21.5.
xevias is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:12 PM
  #25  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill Tn
Posts: 875
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by xevias View Post
I'm testing new tires that have a lot of rear traction on carpet, so I've already done everything I can to get the car to rotate. Loading the gear diff with 500K got the back end to slide just the right amount.

I'm either going to half fill the diff with 500K and store the diff upright between races or lightly coat the gears with Gravity 2 Million. Seems ridiculous, but with these tires, it's only .2 slower with a 25.5 than the track hot shot with a 21.5.
Do not half fill the diff. your only supposed to put a light coat on the gears. 2 mil is no problem I've done that this past week. Chucks suggestion of the Red grease should be a great one also.

Just don't not fill with any amount of fluids other than a very light coating on the gears. Its will spin out do to centrifugal force and get all over your car and the track.
freebird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:40 AM
  #26  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 869
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

This diff is designed for grease, not fluids.
old_dude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:49 PM
  #27  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
xevias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai, PRC
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by freebird View Post
Do not half fill the diff. your only supposed to put a light coat on the gears. 2 mil is no problem I've done that this past week. Chucks suggestion of the Red grease should be a great one also.

Just don't not fill with any amount of fluids other than a very light coating on the gears. Its will spin out do to centrifugal force and get all over your car and the track.
Will do 2 million. Groovy.

Living in Shanghai, there are no car parts stores to pick up the Lucas oil as suggested.
xevias is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service