R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-14-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default big problem

just baught a tc4 team kit ran it at my club where we run on carpet in door and 19 turn. The car felt very responsive first tim i took it out but solve that by adjusting the shocks. My problem is that on the third race (this being the third run of its entire life from the box) my back diff had melted on both sideds of the out drive and my front diff came undone. My question is why as im ready to sell the car cuz im really anoyed the car was not lifting a wheel through the corners it was stable i built the car to the book some one tried suggesting the metal outdrives but ive been told they will come undone and helpp would be most most most helpful

cheers colin
Bitchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

there could have been a few things overlooked when you built the diffs. that almost anyone can forget to do

as far as the diff melting you could have had it set to loose ...i personally have never had a problem like that on a TC3

i prefer the steel outdrives in the front of the car because ive had instances where i would touch a board in the corner and the CVD would pop out which would end the race for you
Old 01-14-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Tech Adept

A melted diff could well be because it was set too loose as said by RC anon. The steel diffs would probably work ok, but are a lot heavier. I don't know if its possible in the US, but look into the Square RC delrin diff outdrives for the tc4. These are good even for modified racing, and light too. The only part I've broken on my car was a front outdrive by crashing just like RC anonymous. I rolled pretty slowly into a pipe and one outdrive shattered...guess the plastic ones just cant take stock racing lol.
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mark G

yeah i had that shattring prob too so i got the steel front outdrive and it works fine too
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to makytc4

i had a few problems with melting the diffs . used to get hot by about the forth race. so i put ceramic diff balls in. soon sorted it. aint had any problems since
makytc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As has already been said, the plastic outdrives are VERy sensitive to the diff setting, & if you set the diff even a little bit too loose, then you WILL melt them with any motor stronger than a stock. Also, even if you get them tight enough for a 19 turn, the outdrive slots can still expand under acceleration, which can cause the dogbone end to pop out(though again it's not really a problem with stock motors). Really AE's lightened steel outdrives are your best bet, they will take ANY motor you throw at them, & contrary to some belief, they do NOT weigh that much more, definitely not enough to make any noticable difference in your lap times(trust me on this, I've used ALL the various kinds of outdrives, & the lightened steel ones are definitely the way to go, they're all I use now).....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Really AE's lightened steel outdrives are your best bet, they will take ANY motor you throw at them, & contrary to some belief, they do NOT weigh that much more, definitely not enough to make any noticable difference in your lap times.
They feel a lot heavier to me. You wont have the CVD's popping out or the melting problem, but I'd rather just use delrin outdrives which are both light and strong enough for modified. (though I only race 27t and 19t anyway).
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote