Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Snowbirds. ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I raced on the new curbs for the first time two weeks before the birds. All the pan cars liked them and the only complains came from the TC guys.Since I also raced the birds I liked them more than the dots.They did not upset my car like the dots. But other cars upset my car- not the dots or the curbs.Wish we had the curbs at our home track-386......
Old 02-07-2017, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The curbs were well made and were a nice edition to the track. The placement on the other hand was an issue. The one coming off the sweeper into the right hander essentially became a launching ramp back onto the straightaway.
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bigdaddyswank
The one coming off the sweeper into the right hander essentially became a launching ramp back onto the straightaway.
Only if you hit it...Steve.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The curbs needed to be incorporated into the corner rather than placed around them. The clicktrack needs to terminate into the curb so the curb is the actual corner rather than an add-on. As we saw, cars were flipping over the track, off of it, and onto the straightway in nearly all heats.

A few other details which to me, and the many racers I spoke with, that are far more important to the racing program at the Snowbirds than the curbs:

1. Seeding/sorted heats for the first round of qualifying: Randomly sorted heats for round 1 made the round effectively a complete waste of time. Pre-sorted heats based on some calculation of practice time would make the first round matter.

2. Qualifying points: The changes that go on with the track during the week show that qualifying points are a must have. That said, for this to be most effective, practice must be sorted so racers can race with those of a similar level. For most carpet races, qualifying points is more fair, and at no races does it make more sense than at the Snowbird Nationals.

3. Triple A mains: Several mains as Snowbirds were, quite frankly, a disaster. Triple A mains can help mitigate, at least to some degree, incidents that can occur during a single 5 or 8 minute final. I point to both 12th scale spec races and the TC stock race as examples here.

Hopefully all of these ideas will be implemented into next year's program. If not, I know many racers who will not return.
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sam Isaacs
The curbs needed to be incorporated into the corner rather than placed around them. The clicktrack needs to terminate into the curb so the curb is the actual corner rather than an add-on. As we saw, cars were flipping over the track, off of it, and onto the straightway in nearly all heats.

A few other details which to me, and the many racers I spoke with, that are far more important to the racing program at the Snowbirds than the curbs:

1. Seeding/sorted heats for the first round of qualifying: Randomly sorted heats for round 1 made the round effectively a complete waste of time. Pre-sorted heats based on some calculation of practice time would make the first round matter.

2. Qualifying points: The changes that go on with the track during the week show that qualifying points are a must have. That said, for this to be most effective, practice must be sorted so racers can race with those of a similar level. For most carpet races, qualifying points is more fair, and at no races does it make more sense than at the Snowbird Nationals.

3. Triple A mains: Several mains as Snowbirds were, quite frankly, a disaster. Triple A mains can help mitigate, at least to some degree, incidents that can occur during a single 5 or 8 minute final. I point to both 12th scale spec races and the TC stock race as examples here.

Hopefully all of these ideas will be implemented into next year's program. If not, I know many racers who will not return.
Good ideas. Wish they would also tighten the schedule somehow. Two days with one round of qualifying is nuts.
miller tyme likes this.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How many entries did they have?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'd like to see motor tech scheduled a little better. Having to stand in line for an hour to get two motors inspected was a little rough...
Old 02-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress
I'd like to see motor tech scheduled a little better. Having to stand in line for an hour to get two motors inspected was a little rough...
Motor tech wasn't even a issue for me . I went up there with motor disassembled handed it over and within 10min it was ready to put back together 5min later it was locked and stickered . Did that 2 times . Both times was that quick and easy
Old 02-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sam Isaacs
Actually the corner that kept throwing racers into the strait didn't have a curb ... It needed one I'm my opinion which might have had same outcome but requardless the curbs were not the reasoning for strait away ejections. Even your set back in the main was cause of the first infield corner NOT having a curb . As far as the curbs being cut to fit the track , is a great ideal that several tracks are doing with our curbs but given the different materials used for track barriers I don't cut them that is up to each individual track to do .
Old 02-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

Hi All,

Would like to bring my experience on the snowbirds.
It was my first time racing on carpet and also my first time competing. I'm used to practice in whatever parking lot spot we can find and most of the time we are less then 5 racers.
To me it was definitely a very fun learning experience, I registered for TC Super Stock 17.5 but changed it upon my arrival to TC Amateur 25.5, the level of the top 40 guys in Super Stock was all I needed to make the switch.
Amateur 25.5 is called that way only by name, every racer in the amateur class ran perfect lines, I taught I would really find Amateurs in this one but they were very good racers. Each time I went on the track I was able to better myself. I qualified last on the grid in the B-main and in the main I managed to run my best times and even had the fastest lap of the main, to my own surprise I finished third and brought back with me a nice trophy.
I would recommend this class, TC Amateur 25.5, to every racer who is attending such a big event for the first time, you learn a lot if you are willing to ask and get help.
Me too saw many 21.5 and 17.5 racers that could have done way better have they registered for 25.5.
This class needs to stay, racers just need to be fair to themselves and know if they are Amateurs.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

We've flown on to our post-Snowbirds holiday destination.

I had a great time at the 'Birds this year. The curbs worked well for both of the classes I ran - you could ride the very edge but more than that cost time. The fastest line certainly in World GT-R was to just miss them.

The format is tried and tested. First round is a lottery and in my experience needs patience from everyone. The fastest 3 laps alternative for seeding is not one I am a fan of (although worked well for me at last year's IIC).

I happen to like the short day on Friday. Previous years we've gone to our favourite theme park. This year we headed over to St Pete's on the Gulf coast. I enjoy racing but this is also a holiday for me and my wife.

The B-mains are great fun. I ran two again this year and won one to bump up. I'd rather keep those than have 3 leg A-mains.

Thanks to Mike, Julie and the Snowbirds crew for an awesome meeting. We will definitely be back for new year!
Old 02-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Mark I'll be ready for you next year in WGT-R. Had a good time chasing you in the B main for the last 3 minutes.As for my F1 I've got aways to go on that class.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

pics from the birds

http://rcactionpics.com/gallery/2017/snowbirds/
Old 02-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Not a fan of seeding but am a fan of qual points.
I think everyone should have the same equal right/chance round one of quals and then start sorting. Seeding rounds just become another qual and limit practice time IMO.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:24 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Greg, great pics. Thanks for sharing the link!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.