Wiki Posts
Search

Qual Points For On Road Racing On Black Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boostinswifty38
No, of you knit at an increased rate of speed, then you begin "splintering" the carbon. I hear xray makes graphite counterparts with pink handles that work well.
Optimized ones.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBLove
It's the host track decision. Get onboard and support whatever they choose to run at that event. There are pros and cons to both, but it's the same for everyone. Racing is fun - remember?
That's just silly Rob
Old 01-29-2017, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Carpet qual points, especially on the new rug are a terrible idea. After practice, based on the sauce used today, track conditions are consistent from round 1 to round 4. Especially at races like Vegas, Snowbirds, The Halloween Classic, and US Indoor Champs. The reason TQ's reset in the last round is that everyone has come to grips with the track. In cases where the track did actually change from round to round, is it good to have someone in the show whose car was awesome for the two rounds the grip was crap, okay enough to stay in the 10 in round three, but is a complete crapwagon for round 4 and the main? Qual points is horrible logic imho. 3 a's make sense though.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Carpet qual points, especially on the new rug are a terrible idea. After practice, based on the sauce used today, track conditions are consistent from round 1 to round 4. Especially at races like Vegas, Snowbirds, The Halloween Classic, and US Indoor Champs. The reason TQ's reset in the last round is that everyone has come to grips with the track. In cases where the track did actually change from round to round, is it good to have someone in the show whose car was awesome for the two rounds the grip was crap, okay enough to stay in the 10 in round three, but is a complete crapwagon for round 4 and the main? Qual points is horrible logic imho. 3 a's make sense though.
Your example of the car becoming a crap wagon is in direct conflict with your assertion that the track doesn't change round 1 to 4.

Track always changes -- no matter which rug.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

ok is it fair for the guy that runs in the 1st heat vs 8th heat in a around the 8th will have higher traction.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The seeding system is not bad...
Old 01-29-2017, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jason cheng
ok is it fair for the guy that runs in the 1st heat vs 8th heat in a around the 8th will have higher traction.
When each class of car runs back to back heats I don't think there is a significant difference from the first to the fourth heat or even 6th if that many cars in a round in the end the field stacks up according to skill
Old 02-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
Your example of the car becoming a crap wagon is in direct conflict with your assertion that the track doesn't change round 1 to 4.

Track always changes -- no matter which rug.
Meh, I agree that it does change. But I have seen guys (I have been among them) that can run in lower grip and then when the grip becomes very high, couldn't tune to compensate. The Main is gonna have equal to more grip in round 4, so the cars and drivers that do well in those conditions should be the ones racing for the Main imho. Plus as Jason Cheng stated, kinda makes it hard to try different set-ups round to round for fear of a botching a run or two.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

any more info guys or thoughts ?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

we really need qual points.
fail in the final round of qualifying at SB -- have fun in the B or C main!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I wholeheartedly agree with this--and at no race more so than the Snowbird Nationals.

Really this is the only way to hold an event that is several days long on carpet in my opinion. This should be the norm for carpet as it is for asphalt events.

Track changes (due to increased traction, laps, whatever) mean if that the best/fastest runs are only available in the last round or two. Qualifying points allows every run to matter. Counting 2 of 4 runs (as is done at ROAR Asphalt Nationals) would be perfect.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

^ This.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

This statement could not be further from the truth. On average, less than half the A main grid in most classes was gained in the 4th qualifier.

In 3 classes 6 spots from R4
In 2 classes 5 spots from R4
In 2 classes 4 spots from R4
In 4 classes 3 spots from R4

TQ, on the other hand, this would be a more accurate statement.

In 8 classes TQ set R4
In 2 classes TQ set R3
In 1 class TQ set R2 (interestingly, TC mod)

I would bet that if you went through and calculated qually points for this race, most people would still be in the same mains as rocket round.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Nothing will change for the carpet Nats so why not calculate alternate qual points results and see how the results differ. It won't give an exact comparison due to differing strategies for each format, but it will give you some idea of the differences.

I am actually shocked that this subject has come up now. I have limited running on black carpet but I thought gray was much worse when it came to lap time improvement over the course of an event.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Meh, I agree that it does change. But I have seen guys (I have been among them) that can run in lower grip and then when the grip becomes very high, couldn't tune to compensate. The Main is gonna have equal to more grip in round 4, so the cars and drivers that do well in those conditions should be the ones racing for the Main imho. Plus as Jason Cheng stated, kinda makes it hard to try different set-ups round to round for fear of a botching a run or two.
I like both styles of qualifying. Who cares if somebody be got out tuned in round 4. They out tuned the others in prior rounds. Just roll with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.