R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATT_MAN
There is traction, wear, deflection, separation, durability, concentricity, quality, manufacturing....all of these have to do with consistency.

I was not trying to be a smart ass, if some one makes a claim about a tire they could be more specific.

IMO, traction is not the ONLY thing that I look for in a tire.
why would he mean consistent deflection, consistent separation, consistent durability, consistent concentricity?
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat
why would he mean consistent deflection, consistent separation, consistent durability, consistent concentricity?
Now THAT'S COMEDY!!!

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

<conspiracy theory>So many have commented about high-traction carpets lately causing odd changes in handling at like the 6-minute mark. I noticed that if I pull my car off in practice before 6 minutes, the fronts are clean and fresh, and after a full heat or 8-minute session, the fronts are coated like glue and covered in carpet fuzz. Many racers with a lot more experience than I have also mentioned how odd it is and can't figure out why this is happening at all of the tracks that are using the newest selection of CRC FasTrack.

Isn't it odd that the CRC tires are the only ones that don't experience this new front bite problem?</conspiracy theory>

Seriously, though, I am going to have to make an effort to find a set of the new CRC wheels/tires with a black front. I had thought about going to a much harder front tire with my Jaco or TRC selections, and then experimenting with other methods for front bite, but this sounds like a better cure. The look cool, too.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:58 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat
dakrat-

Quote:
Originally Posted by batt_man
There is traction, wear, deflection, separation, durability, concentricity, quality, manufacturing....all of these have to do with consistency
Where do I say
Quote:
consistent deflection, consistent separation, consistent durability, consistent concentricity?
Read it carefully before laughing... LOL LOL LOL LOL

This has to do with the variables that affect the OVERALL performance. Some tires do have consistent deflection, separation, wear, etc...under different load conditions. A tire is under dynamic load throughout a race.
I am talking about the way we inspect and grade tires and wheels by looking at every possibility and variable that affects performance. (maybe too technical)

A good tire/wheel combination will have minimal effect from these factors, yet they can be consistent under load conditions, at what extent that depends, but you cannot eliminate them when racing if they exist. With some tires this will be minimal or not even noticeable, with others it becomes a big factor and a pain because the sum of all these factors will affect the CONSISTENCY and PERFORMANCE of the tire.

Test a tire/wheel under different load conditions and you will see what I mean.
Look at the mechanics of a tire and you will see that all these factors will affect the OVERALL CONSISTENCY and PERFORMANCE of a tire.

A tire has many variables and you need to consider them.

All THESE items define a tire at what extent; it depends, but all these WILL AFFECT the overall performance of the tire. Are not performance and consistency complementary, not supplementary?

You do not need to have an ME lab to see what happens, track performance and close tire/wheel analysis after you race will show the deficiencies and strengths off each tire.

Another thing, I do not think that a tires merit should be judged by carpet dust and dirt accumulation. This has to do with the traction compound and amount used.
Because of their porosity, absorption rates, operating temperatures and surface tension differnt tires will take the aftermarket tire compounds differently (even from the same manufacturer). If you experiment with a tire you should be able to find the right amount of compound to add and possibly avoid surface build up.

I hope I made myself clear.

I am not trying to prove anyone wrong or right... or anything like that.

All I am trying to do is to be as impartial as possible and look at all the variables that will affect a tires performance…and it seems that the traction compound is playing a role in the overall final performance of the tires.

It is sad that you are laughing, because these are the factors that affect a tire, look at the big picture

Last edited by BATT_MAN; 01-12-2006 at 11:38 PM.
BATT_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:35 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
<conspiracy theory>So many have commented about high-traction carpets lately causing odd changes in handling at like the 6-minute mark. I noticed that if I pull my car off in practice before 6 minutes, the fronts are clean and fresh, and after a full heat or 8-minute session, the fronts are coated like glue and covered in carpet fuzz. Many racers with a lot more experience than I have also mentioned how odd it is and can't figure out why this is happening at all of the tracks that are using the newest selection of CRC FasTrack.

I don't think it's the fault of the carpet. Alot of it depends on the amount the carpet is used (anount of racers) and how often the layout is changed. If you keep the layout the same for a while the grove gets VERY dark. Everyone keeps adding compound which builds up in the grove. For the first 5 or six minutes of a run, I don't think the tires are warm enough to cause anything to stick to them. From 6 to 8 min though, there is enough heat in the tires for the material in the grove to stick to the tires.

Just my theory!

The Black tires are hard enough to resist becoming tacky or glazed over for the entire 8 mins.
Twin 1 Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote