Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COMMS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default COMMS

how often do i need to cut my comm i heard after 2 battery packs the reason im asking is that after i had a race day i had to take a big chunk off my com to get it looking good . AND BEFORE EVERYONE BLASTS ME ABOUT DOING A SEARCH YES I DID AND NO I CANT FIND ANYTHING REGARDING WHAT I NEED TO KNOW THANKS GUYS
Old 01-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

you can cut the comm every run it all depends on the brush that you are running and how bad the old brushes look.

i skim the comm very lightly inbetween runs using the same brush and breaking it in on a 3V battery b4 i actually go out and start hacking.

But i say 5 runs on avg before you need to do any cutting.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Old 01-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i cut my comm about every 25 runs...thats when i have noticed a small lack of power out of my car (.2-.3 tenths a lap average) that is when i used Putnam green/blue combo on the Monster stock motors

when i ran "F" brushes and had to recutand put new brushes on more often...about every 6 runs till i seen a loss in performance

every brush is different as to when it seems to lose its edge, and many drivers will have different opinions on when its time to rebuild a motor...i dont feel its necessary to di it as often as alot of people do it for CLUB racing...at a national level a little more often might be necessary
Old 01-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

practice 3-5 runs before a cut...

racing cut the comm every run...

brushes, run them down till they go bad... depending on the brush and whether or not they discolor from overheating...

this is what i do... cutting the comm often is not only good for performance, but lengthens the life of the motor.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It depends on the teardown of the motor too. A 8x1 Ti is going to wear differently to a 8x1 CP. My Ti's are 1 run and cut motors. With a CP, this is not the case. Then it will come down to how you tune and gear the motor.

If you have the equipment, then do it as often as possible.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

thanks a mill guys for all the info so i will cut every 2 to 3 runs that should be ok