Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Schuur Speed Motors >

Schuur Speed Motors

Schuur Speed Motors

Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Schuur Speed Motors

I looked for a thread for these motors, but couldn't find one. I've heard good things about them. I'm thinking about buying a 17.5 for the Reedy this year. Can anyone chime in that has one?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by R Doyel
I looked for a thread for these motors, but couldn't find one. I've heard good things about them. I'm thinking about buying a 17.5 for the Reedy this year. Can anyone chime in that has one?
I started one in the off road section. They have been tearing it up in the off road race scene and have been the choice of the fast guys.

Here is the thread: SchuurSpeed
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

There are on road racers racing with them. Myself being one

I will be attending Reedy 2012 in a support role for SchuurSpeed Motors. There are a few from the Northwest attending and a few from SoCal that i know will be racing with the motors in both 13.5 and 17.5 classes.

website - schuurspeed.com and if you have questions lmk.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rocketron

I will be attending Reedy 2012 in a support role for SchuurSpeed Motors. There are a few from the Northwest attending and a few from SoCal that i know will be racing with the motors in both 13.5 and 17.5 classes.

Thanks for the information. I checked out the website a few weeks ago, and they had been out of stock. I think I'm going to grab one at the end of this week.

Any tips on a good starting FDR for these, in 17.5?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rocketron

rocket ron, i sent you a private message
Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the information. I checked out the website a few weeks ago, and they had been out of stock. I think I'm going to grab one at the end of this week.

Any tips on a good starting FDR for these, in 17.5?
Of course it depends on how much brake you use , how tight the infield is, etc.
Best to start somewhere around 38 degrees of timing and 3.8 FDR and adjust from there.
I've gone as far as 3.7 FDR with 40-41 degrees of timing with a fan. This was at the Roar carpet Nats and also at my home track and I didn't get the motor past 160.
That being said, I'm still experimenting with timing vs gearing so please share your results.

Jake D.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Motor = Delivered
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Of course it depends on how much brake you use , how tight the infield is, etc.
Best to start somewhere around 38 degrees of timing and 3.8 FDR and adjust from there.
I've gone as far as 3.7 FDR with 40-41 degrees of timing with a fan. This was at the Roar carpet Nats and also at my home track and I didn't get the motor past 160.
That being said, I'm still experimenting with timing vs gearing so please share your results.

Jake D.
I race at leisure hours were the asphalt nat's are going to be what would be a good fdr for an xray t3 2012 There is a 225 straight involved. I ran it at 90/49 and it came off at under 100 after six minutes with 30 degrees of timing any help would be appreciate
Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tazfam2
I race at leisure hours were the asphalt nat's are going to be what would be a good fdr for an xray t3 2012 There is a 225 straight involved. I ran it at 90/49 and it came off at under 100 after six minutes with 30 degrees of timing any help would be appreciate
I haven't run on a track that large and flowing, but I would try closer to 40 degrees timing. It should give you more rip off the corner and also more top. Temp every few minutes, then experiment with more gear with less timing and vice versa. My guess is you'll never go below 35 degrees of timing.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

I had a short testing session with my new 17.5, yesterday. The timing system was off, and I was on the track alone so it was hard to gauge the change in performance. I can tell that this motor has more power than what I had before, for sure. It seems to have alot more speed on the straight.

I ran it with a 3.85 FDR at 38° timing. The motor was 124° after about 4 minutes. I don't think I'll change anything until I'm able to run a heat with other cars, and see where I sit.

I've heard different theories on how to find an optimal gearing. Any recommendations? A local guy mentioned to me that each brand of spec motor tends to have its own characteristics. Some are lower RPM with lots of torque. Some are more of a high RPM.

Should I keep getting more aggressive with timing and gearing until I reach a certain temp? Is there another way to find the sweet spot?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

I had a short testing session with my new 17.5, yesterday. The timing system was off, and I was on the track alone so it was hard to gauge the change in performance. I can tell that this motor has more power than what I had before, for sure. It seems to have alot more speed on the straight.

I ran it with a 3.85 FDR at 38° timing. The motor was 124° after about 4 minutes. I don't think I'll change anything until I'm able to run a heat with other cars, and see where I sit.

I've heard different theories on how to find an optimal gearing. Any recommendations? A local guy mentioned to me that each brand of spec motor tends to have its own characteristics. Some are lower RPM with lots of torque. Some are more of a high RPM.

Should I keep getting more aggressive with timing and gearing until I reach a certain temp? Is there another way to find the sweet spot?
i have a new schuur speed motor that i will be testing at Speedworld on Sat, racing with it at Nor-cal next Sun.....
Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop
i have a new schuur speed motor that i will be testing at Speedworld on Sat, racing with it at Nor-cal next Sun.....
Cool, then I'll are you next Sunday. My name is Ryan.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Cool, then I'll are you next Sunday. My name is Ryan.
Hi Ryan, my name is Rich.....i will be driving the yellow/orange schumacher...cant miss it......
Old 04-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hey guy's I've been eyeing these motor's up but I race 1 cell carpet oval has anyone tried these yet?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default where's the stickers??

I ordered 2 x 17.5 from trackstar. 38 days later they arrived in Australia.
i've heard they're good and look forward to soldering them in soon but no stickers in the box for my car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.