Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Newb car suggestions >

Newb car suggestions

Newb car suggestions

Reply

Old 01-01-2017, 12:03 PM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default Newb car suggestions

I am new to the hobby and I am interested in getting an on road car to play around with and eventually race in like USGT class races. I'd like to stay around $300-$400 range for cost range to start. Any suggestions on a new to the hobby set up? Thanks
Scully330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:48 PM
  #2  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by Scully330 View Post
I am new to the hobby and I am interested in getting an on road car to play around with and eventually race in like USGT class races. I'd like to stay around $300-$400 range for cost range to start. Any suggestions on a new to the hobby set up? Thanks
I'm leaning toward starting with a TC4 chassis, can get one from tower hobbies for $129 w/coupon code. Any suggestions for other items I will need? Thanks
Scully330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:58 AM
  #3  
Tech Adept
 
massenb203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 223
Default

Are you looking at racing on carpet or asphalt? Because for carpet a belt drive car would be better and for outside asphalt a shaft driven car. The TC4 is a great starter shaft driven car. For a belt driven car starter try the Hobby King BT-4 RTR which is well within your starting budget.
massenb203 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:48 AM
  #4  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by massenb203 View Post
Are you looking at racing on carpet or asphalt? Because for carpet a belt drive car would be better and for outside asphalt a shaft driven car. The TC4 is a great starter shaft driven car. For a belt driven car starter try the Hobby King BT-4 RTR which is well within your starting budget.
I would probably do both. There is a carpet track about 50 minutes away that I'd like to go to but I also would like to be able just to take it to a nice parking lot locally to practice
Scully330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:25 AM
  #5  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (150)
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,795
Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)
Default

The TC4 Club Racer is a nice place to start and I have used and can recommend the following items to complete your sedan.

- Hobbywing XR10 Justock ESC
- Savox SC1251MG servo
- Hobbyking Turnigy 21.5 V2 motor
- Airtronics MX-V radio set
SteveM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:34 AM
  #6  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
The TC4 Club Racer is a nice place to start and I have used and can recommend the following items to complete your sedan.

- Hobbywing XR10 Justock ESC
- Savox SC1251MG servo
- Hobbyking Turnigy 21.5 V2 motor
- Airtronics MX-V radio set
Thanks for the info! I was actually looking at the TrackStar motors and ESC which would keep costs down since this is my first car, does anyone have any reviews of these? What you listed is right around my budget area, thanks!
Scully330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:41 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 4,188
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I've got the BT-4 with the 21.5 Trackstar system. Worked fine for my one race so far. The RTR version comes geared way too low. But that's a simple fix. I'm still under $300 into the vehicle. Not counting the transponder had to buy.


https://youtu.be/V5uJ0B4lP18
Billy Kelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:56 AM
  #8  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (150)
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,795
Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Scully330 View Post
Thanks for the info! I was actually looking at the TrackStar motors and ESC which would keep costs down since this is my first car, does anyone have any reviews of these? What you listed is right around my budget area, thanks!
I recommend against buying the Trackstar speed controls. Get the XR10 Justock and you'll never regret it.

The Trackstar motors are fine and I have two of the Gen 1 21.5 that are awesome for the $35 price.
SteveM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:09 AM
  #9  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 860
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Scully330 View Post
Thanks for the info! I was actually looking at the TrackStar motors and ESC which would keep costs down since this is my first car, does anyone have any reviews of these? What you listed is right around my budget area, thanks!
One thing I don't like about trackstar is that they are a pain in the ass to solder.
nubs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:33 AM
  #10  
Tech Adept
 
CPFTTC4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: US
Posts: 114
Default

I have a HPI Sprint 2 setup for VTA but can easily be setup for USGT for sale for $200. PM me for details
CPFTTC4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:21 AM
  #11  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I recommend against buying the Trackstar speed controls. Get the XR10 Justock and you'll never regret it.

The Trackstar motors are fine and I have two of the Gen 1 21.5 that are awesome for the $35 price.
Thanks for the heads up!
Scully330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:22 AM
  #12  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by nubs View Post
One thing I don't like about trackstar is that they are a pain in the ass to solder.
Why ,is it the tabs on the motor?
Scully330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:30 PM
  #13  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Any battery suggestions?
Scully330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:32 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 2,199
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Scully330 View Post
Any battery suggestions?
Turnigy nanotech ultimates are a great starting point. Cheap and perform well.
gigaplex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:34 PM
  #15  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Turnigy nanotech ultimates are a great starting point. Cheap and perform well.
Thanks!
Scully330 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service