Wiki Posts
Search

Alternative for Team Magic wheel adapters

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 05:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Alternative for Team Magic wheel adapters

Hello,
I'm searching for a good alternative (cheaper), for the Team Magic Alu wheel adapters TM507140BK, preferrable also in Alu.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Looks to be a pretty standard clamping wheel hex and you should be able to use almost any other brand. Tamiya, Xray, Yokomo, Spec-R and others should fit. If you want dirt cheap you could try the ones from Hobbyking.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Indeed, & I know some brands(like Tamiya) offer them in several thicknesses as well, to suit your needs(Tamiya's come in 4mm, 5mm, & 6mm varieties)....
Old 01-02-2017, 03:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SteveM
Looks to be a pretty standard clamping wheel hex and you should be able to use almost any other brand. Tamiya, Xray, Yokomo, Spec-R and others should fit. If you want dirt cheap you could try the ones from Hobbyking.
Not true at all. Most of the above brands have different cross pin depth in the wheel hex, so you might need to fill the space between wheel hex and bearing with some shims. Or some of the cross pins are sitting too deep in your wheel hex, causing binding issues between hex and bearing. This all depends on axle length, cross pin hole location in combination with wheel hex design.

So you should be very very careful when choosing wheel hexes from another brand.

Last edited by Govert; 01-02-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Govert
Not true at all. Most of the above brands have different cross pin depth in the wheel hex, so you might need to fill the space between wheel hex and bearing with some shims. Or some of the cross pins are sitting too deep in your wheel hex, causing binding issues between hex and bearing. This all depends on axle length, cross pin hole location in combination with wheel hex design.

So you should be very very careful when choosing wheel hexes from another brand.
sort of... this type in particular is one of the few things that is nearly always compatible from brand to brand. saying that ones from other brands probably won't work is likely what is closer to not being true.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ThePanda
sort of... this type in particular is one of the few things that is nearly always compatible from brand to brand. saying that ones from other brands probably won't work is likely what is closer to not being true.
Be my guest. Try it out I will say. I have tried it out from Tamiya, 3Racing, Yokomo and Hobbyking on my Xray and they did not fit without hassle. But sure, let him try it, no problem.
And remember, it's looks like it fits, untill you loosen your upper link and try to spin your wheel and noticing your wheel hex is binding to your bearing....But that probably isn't true
Old 01-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Considering Trukje hasn't responded, does it really make any difference?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Well yes, for others that were wondering the same as Trukje. Otherwise people would make the mistake by just buying random wheel hexes and asking themselves why they keep breaking bearings, heating up their electronics and ending up with an undriveable car. So yes, I think this information is usefull for others as well
Old 01-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Tech Rookie

That was exactly why I putted my question here.
Originally Posted by Govert