R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-22-2002, 08:49 AM   #61
Tech Master

Who is this University Dave that's telling us what to do?

This thread has been very decent........so far! Please keep it that way.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 08:51 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by university_dave
I started with the original T1, one of the first few to come into the country, and went straight from that to the EVO2 this summer. I have NEVER broken anything on either car. Raced indoors with a 12x2 when I really couldn't drive, but thought I could, and my comment above stands. I don't know of anyone who has broken something that affects the suspension.
I live in what has become X-Ray country and a freind of mine has 2, and evo1+2 and he has gone thru front hubs like crazy!!! this definately effect the suspension..... I'm not saying your a liar, but for every person that thinks one car is the most durable ever there are 2-200 that think it's the most fragile POS in the world!!! Except for the 414...LOL

Quote:
Johnbull and Rick Draper, please leave each other alone. You are both entitled to your opinions, but please don't send this thread down the 'Xray vs Corally' route!!! By all means start a new thread if you feel the need, but please leave this one alone...
Yes please we have a somewhat intelligent conversation with alot of info to help many people in the market for a high end car, let's keep it that way!!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 09:01 AM   #63
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
I live in what has become X-Ray country and a freind of mine has 2, and evo1+2 and he has gone thru front hubs like crazy!!! this definately effect the suspension..... I'm not saying your a liar, but for every person that thinks one car is the most durable ever there are 2-200 that think it's the most fragile POS in the world!!! Except for the 414...LOL
It is a fair comment. I live in Losi and Schumacher country, with a smattering of TC3s, and at least one person breaks a wishbone/hubcarrier/pivot block every meeting. I still hear people tell a newbie that the XXX-S is a strong car.

I can only account for what I have experienced myself and seen others experience.
university_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 09:41 AM   #64
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

It does boil down to the bare fact that you probably should get a car that can be supported - here in Southern Cal, getting XRay parts is harder, much harder than getting AE or Losi parts (go figger - both AE and Losi are right around the corner. . .).

As far as complete, it depends on what you want. I don't usually run a one-way (it sits in my box. . .) so there not being one in the kit isn't a detraction for me.

And if you're experienced, Deacon, then you should be able to handle Pivot Balls without a problem. Don't bother with them, however, if you feel that you have to get a Hudy setup kit. . .or even the Integy version (which I like better. . .just me).

((University, wait until things get out of hand before you try and calm things down. Thanks!))
Old 11-22-2002, 09:56 AM   #65
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up I've Decided... (drum roll please)

Well after mulling over all of the input here, I finally made my decision on which chassis to buy. My criteria was pretty simple... I didn't want to have to buy a bunch of "hop-up" parts. I aslo wanted to keep cost to a minimum.

The kits that I considered were: Associated TC3 FT, Losi XXX-S graphite (new release), Schumacher Mission CF, Tamiya TRF414M2, and the Xray T1 Evo2.

There was some other unstated criteria. Some of which I decided to compromise on...

Things inportant to me:

- carbon fiber chassis (I wanted to get away from the composite material). No particular reason.

- I didn't want to have to use saddle packs. I like the convenience of a joined side-by-side pack. Compromise #1

- I wanted dual one-ways

- I wanted threaded shocks

- Quality (parts & instructions) was a must!

- Uniqueness at the Track. Could be a disadvantage if you need setup help, I don't think that I'll have that problem though.

I went with the Tamiya TRF414M2! I liked almost everything about the car. The price was great, and the kit included almost everything that I wanted.

There were things about each (except the TC3) of the other cars that completely turned me off. I won't bother to mention what they were to curtail any "CarWars".

Thanks to everyone that contributed. The information was helpful to me, and I'm sure for others trying to decied on a touring car platform.

Cheers
DEACON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:14 AM   #66
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
And if you're experienced, Deacon, then you should be able to handle Pivot Balls without a problem. Don't bother with them, however, if you feel that you have to get a Hudy setup kit. . .or even the Integy version (which I like better. . .just me).
Boomer: Thanks for the comments. Although, I've never owned a car with a Pivot Ball suspension, I didn't think that adjusting one would be beyond my capabilities even without a special setup tool. My biggest concern was, that if I raced the Evo2 with the Pivot Ball suspenison, I would always wonder (despite how well it drove) what it was like to drive the car with the C hub option. That question would always linger, and I'd probably end up buying the optional part. Doing that would defeat what I hope to achieve in returning to r/c on road in the first place: Keeping a control over costs, not accumulating a whole bunch of parts and accessories as I've done in the past, and just having fun.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:31 PM   #67
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I agree - although I disagree with your eventual choice! You bought a Tamiya! AAAAHHH! heh heh, only kidding!

It's something I'm doing as well - trying to cut costs. It's one reason my primary car is a 10L2. . .
Old 11-22-2002, 03:23 PM   #68
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F

I think he made a good choice, since the hop ups that he was looking for came in the 414M2 kit. You say AHHHHH it's a Tamiya and normally I would agree with you (being an old tamiya kit runner) but the 414M2 is a very competitive kit and I plan on getting one myself.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 07:19 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You made a very nice choice! I'm sure you'll enjoy the car. The quality is top notch. It (mine) runs very silent and very smooth. Now you can run a stick pack if you choose... (why I don't know, you'll loose transitioning from corner to corner.) Anyhow enjoy!
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 07:29 PM   #70
Tech Initiate

deacon

congrats on your purchase of the tamiya 414mII hope the car is everything you expect it to be
FROGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 03:44 AM   #71
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Hi there,

I,m currently racing a 414m2 worlds rep. very nice

before that i have had xxx-s,X-Ray t1,X-Ray evo,X-Ray evo with new suspension

Of them all i have had most success with the evo/new suspension car but it was expensive to do :-

BUY car,BUY suspension ungrade,BUY alloy shock bodies,BUY front oneway diff,BUY anti roll bars,BUY roll bridge and the list goes on..........

Won at local club 5 weeks straight tho

Just got my 414 worlds rep 2 weeks ago placed 3A at regional meeting first week raced and 2nd at local meeting there after.
Next week got TQ at local meeting but all went to pot in finial

Losi is prone to breakages as is the Tc3 although i,ve never had 1 of them

If i was to buy 1 cat tomorrow and have to race it the next year it would have to be the X-RAY but you need a good understanding of what your doing,a hudy set-up system and a good sized BUDGET
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 07:38 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Merciless--Hey where do you get those racing cats??? I have been triing to find one, I started hopp-ing up my entry level cat, but the preformance per dollar was really steep!!!LOL

As always in search of a luxury touring/racing cat!!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 08:17 AM   #73
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

I personally like the cars that are totally fully adjustable without having to buy parts. Is there such a thing in the market these days ?
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 11:03 AM   #74
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Interesting that this discussion has changed to racing cats.

Nothing new of course. We have been racing Cats for a few years now. The Schumacher variety. 4 paw drive and all!

I suppose the cheapest / most adjustable car on the market must be the Schumacher SST then Axis and now Mission. Which other car has adjustable rear toe in by turnbuckles. Caster is adjustable up front. Kick up is adjustable. I think wheelbase is adjustable, and even the drive ratio is adjustable - you get two different ratios in the kit. I don't know of any car with that adjustment out of the box.

And all this at half the price of the competition.

I've built a couple of Missions for customers but have never driven one myself, but I can't say I wouldn't like to. I'm also impressed with Schumachers build quality. So if you really want value for money!!!!!!

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 06:18 AM   #75
Tech Apprentice

Boomer: I used to feel the same way about Tamiya with their plastic parts and tub chassis. I also didn't care for their higher prices for parts, and their Tamiya "ONLY" class of races. However, I feel that the 414 series of cars transformed Tamiya into a company looking to become competitive.

I'm sure that I'll be happy with my choice of the 414M2.