Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Advice on 1/10 budget basher that handles well >

Advice on 1/10 budget basher that handles well

Like Tree4Likes

Advice on 1/10 budget basher that handles well

Old 07-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Advice on 1/10 budget basher that handles well

I was all set on getting a TT-01/2 but I don't like the fact that it has no adjustments. How does it drive compared to a TB-02 or TA-05? I would also like something that could do a little rallying, so shaft drive would be best. My funds are very limited so I was hoping for something very cheap, second hand is fine. It doesn't have to be a Tamiya but I do like the parts and mod support.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

The Tamiya TT02 type S is adjustable, and there are lots of hop ups alongside good spares support. It also drives surprisingly well.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What exactly are you wanting to do with it? Parking lots? Streets? Track? Most on road things aren't going to be happy rallying unless that is their primary purpose. Of course to do that they give up some handling.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Tech Initiate

I doubt very much it will ever see a track. But I'd like it to handle very well.

Originally Posted by jkaetz
What exactly are you wanting to do with it? Parking lots? Streets? Track? Most on road things aren't going to be happy rallying unless that is their primary purpose. Of course to do that they give up some handling.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Get a Team C Tr10 and you can bash all you want and you can add hop ups and make all the adjustments that you would like.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
The Tamiya TT02 type S is adjustable, and there are lots of hop ups alongside good spares support. It also drives surprisingly well.
TT02 Type S would take my vote too but I bet someone is also going to come along and say Associated TC4. Problem with the TC4 is that it's all imperial hardware when the rest of the world has mostly moved to metric
Old 07-13-2017, 07:07 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I built a plain jane TT02 a couple months ago. I added CVA shocks, highspeed gear set, adjustable motor mount, 100K fluid in the front diff, 2* rear toe blocks, and adjustable links on the steering. I am running her with a 17.5T motor and a FDR is currently about 5:1, but dropped that to 4.33:1 last light and will check the temps. I have about 30 packs through it and I have to say I am impressed. I run on unprepared tarmac so I have it set to the higher ride height setting. I played around a bit with shock oil and springs and I think I have it handling pretty well and it is a hoot to drive. About the only thing I wish is if I could adjust the front camber as I am seeing significant wear on the outsides of the front tires....I do wonder if the raised ride height is exacerbating that though. The car has proven to be fast, reliable and fun and parts are easy to come by and cheap.

With that said I don't think you can go wrong with the TT02 chassis for bashing and there are a couple guys in the TT02 thread who are proving that the TT02 can be competitive in club racing as well.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
TT02 Type S would take my vote too but I bet someone is also going to come along and say Associated TC4. Problem with the TC4 is that it's all imperial hardware when the rest of the world has mostly moved to metric
The tc4 imperial hardware is very easy to get compared to these other cars... You will never run out of parts, and you'll have to refuse parts from other racers that have moved on to other kits...The tc4 is just the best deal at any level period !!!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

The TC4 is a much better car than the TT02. For a whole slew of reasons.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nerobro
The TC4 is a much better car than the TT02. For a whole slew of reasons.
It also needs certain tools that beginners on a budget looking to bash are less likely to have. Such as a Dremel to make room for large pinion gears and rectangular lipo packs, and imperial hex drivers. Otherwise it's a great budget track car.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For street or parking lots TC4 does very well. I've only needed to replace a few missing screws over 4 years. The non metric hardware should be a big deal. It did take getting used to the ball diffs. Took few times to get them adjusted right. Once right I think it's been 2 years since I've had to touch them. Same with rebuilding them. First time or two the little roller balls can be bit frustrating.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Both Associated and Tamiya make great stuff.

You have more replacement and hopup parts than you'll ever need for both. I don't think you can make a bad choice here especially since you're not racing.

You can buy a cheap TT-02 and upgrade along the way.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
It also needs certain tools that beginners on a budget looking to bash are less likely to have. Such as a Dremel to make room for large pinion gears and rectangular lipo packs, and imperial hex drivers. Otherwise it's a great budget track car.
Well, that's not entirely true. It fits rectangular LiPo packs without modification. It comes with all the allen wrenches you need. (and my turnigy multi driver has all the right ends too..) It even comes with sockets to drive the wheel nuts, and a wrench for the turnbuckles. And it comes with bearings.

You don't need a dremel to relieve the chassis until you're up over a 38 tooth pinion. And even in that case... You can use the pinion to relieve the chassis. I bought a $12 pinion set, fitted the largest pinion, and turned on the motor, that ground away the chassis and I can't see any damage on the pinon.

The Tamiya option is cheaper, and comes with a body. If you remove the cost of the body on the tamiya car, we're comparing a $70 kit, versus a $150 kit. The $150 kit has a stiffer chassis, with a better motor mount, bearings, bellcranks, longer swingarms, better wheel control, better shocks.

The TC4 is a whole lot better, and you can chose to get a cheap body. for instance I spent $20 on a painted redcat racing body.

So what's it take to brnig the tamiya up to the tc4? You'll need to spend a bunch of time on the steering, as the stock steering setup is.. questionable. A metal motor mount. A bearing set. And oil filled shocks. You're going to spend $70 on those parts, or so. which brings the Tamiya up to the cost of the TC4, and then you're still running around with a floppy chassis that has a floppy driveshaft, and open diffs.

...... This argument is getting much stronger than I thought previously.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...g-car-kit.html

Very budget, but good parts from HK and Team C (and lost of other brands fit, too), and raced successfully so I think it should handle well. Mine doesn't, yet, but it is improving all the time with minor changes.

Hugo
Old 07-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HugoW
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...g-car-kit.html

Very budget, but good parts from HK and Team C (and lost of other brands fit, too), and raced successfully so I think it should handle well. Mine doesn't, yet, but it is improving all the time with minor changes.

Hugo
Considering you can get the Tamiya TT-02 and Associated TC4 for cheaper (in the US) I wouldn't call the BT4 "very budget" nor would I consider purchasing it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.